Downton Abbey: Discussion Thread

Sylph

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Okay so just started watching this - watched the PBS version this weekend (all 7 episodes) and I just love it. I was completely surprised because I honestly don't like "period dramas" or really anything "period themed". But I just loved it - the acting, the humor, the storylines (for everyone!) - very balanced. No one really dominated the show (like US soaps tend to have "major" characters)... and it was just amazingly riveting.

I started Season 2 today but haven't caught up to real time yet. I really wish there were more episodes in a "season" and that it comes back soon!

Also: Season 2 debuted on PBS with over 4 million viewers and a 2.7 18-49 rating. That is way more than most of the daytime soaps and it's pretty amazing especially coming from PBS. I wonder how it would fair in the daytime market??

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Halfway through Season 2. Wasn't sure about the WW1 plot at the beginning, but I think it's worked out fine. Obviously, they can't show a lot of the actual war, so they chose to show the changes and sometimes horror that the war brings into people's lives, how it changes almost everything. It's quite a shock to see Downton as a convalescence home.

Love the soapiness, the sometimes cliche writing, the couples, everything really.

Have you guys seen these? You will DIE! It's from the fabulous ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS due Lumley and Saunders and Kim Cattrall's casting as Cora is inspired. She got the voice and accent PERFECTLY.

Take the time to watch them, they're HILARIOUS.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Members

^^You're welcome!

GREAT Season 3 premiere! I'm not sure what to do with spoilers, so I'll just speak generally: Matthew and Mary continue to be tearjerkers and the show was on very fine form! Loved every minute of it. Can't wait to see how this develops. The ending of the episode was perfect.