Announcement: New Memberships Suspended

As The World Turns Discussion Thread

edgeofnik

• Members
1 hour ago, AbcNbc247 said:

Questions...

Why didn't you let Luke live happily ever after with Reid, or even Noah?

Why didn't you allow Martha Byrne to come back as Lily?

This is going to be a love fest to the core. One that'll make his interview with JFP look like he wanted to kill her. 

I pretty much said that Goutman destroyed ATWT. That he refused to bring back Martha. He alienated vet cast actors and gave us a crappy ending to the show. Leaving fans upset. 

1 minute ago, victoria foxton said:

Alan would never dare asking hard hitting questions. Did she get bitchy?

He just didn't like my comments but he did to those that mentioned nice things about Goutman. Go read it..lol

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• P.J.

• Soapsuds

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members
4 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

I pretty much said that Goutman destroyed ATWT. That he refused to bring back Martha. He alienated vet cast actors and gave us a crappy ending to the show. Leaving fans upset. 

Unfortunately, all I saw of ATWT was his work. I should start watching classic episodes

• Members
4 minutes ago, AbcNbc247 said:

Unfortunately, all I saw of ATWT was his work. I should start watching classic episodes

Anything between 1986-1987 was the best. The show won an Emmy for best show and Marland got ATWT to #2 in the ratings in July of 1987. 

• Members

I think Goutman's mindset about soaps echoed those of the majority of execs at that time.

He came to soaps as an actor in the late 70's and early 80's and then moved on to directing.That was a time when soaps underwent a dramatic change in direction (thanks Gloria!) and he was part of that.

Execs saw soaps as continuing story that needed action and drama during sweeps to keep the dollars coming in. If that meant evil twins and clones - so be it.

To get young women, they believed you needed young characters and 'hot couples'

The generational aspect and slow unravelling of stories was tossed aside.

I recall an interview with Goutman where he clicked through channels saying that's what viewers did now and only something eye catching would hold them. So soaps went for big moments to try and entice them to stay.

It was an interesting philosophy but numbers and engagement kept dropping, so they doubled down...

• Members
12 hours ago, Paul Raven said:

I think Goutman's mindset about soaps echoed those of the majority of execs at that time.

He came to soaps as an actor in the late 70's and early 80's and then moved on to directing.That was a time when soaps underwent a dramatic change in direction (thanks Gloria!) and he was part of that.

Execs saw soaps as continuing story that needed action and drama during sweeps to keep the dollars coming in. If that meant evil twins and clones - so be it.

To get young women, they believed you needed young characters and 'hot couples'

The generational aspect and slow unravelling of stories was tossed aside.

I recall an interview with Goutman where he clicked through channels saying that's what viewers did now and only something eye catching would hold them. So soaps went for big moments to try and entice them to stay.

It was an interesting philosophy but numbers and engagement kept dropping, so they doubled down...

Someone should ask him what he thinks of a show like Downton Abbey, which would seem to be the antithesis of what he views as a successful continuing drama.

13 hours ago, Soapsuds said:

Well I left my comments on Alan's FB page about this interview with Goutman. Let's just say he didn't like my comments. Others did though.

Good for you! Someone needs to at least try to ask the uncomfortable, but probing questions. If I were on FB, I would've tried it too, lol.

• Members
2 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Good for you! Someone needs to at least try to ask the uncomfortable, but probing questions. If I were on FB, I would've tried it too, lol.

Someone added an article from SOD where Goutman said he didn't read feedback from fans and pretty much didn't care.

Some are excited about the interview. Saying it's going to be great. I replied that it would be a softball interview.

• Members
1 hour ago, amybrickwallace said:

Exactly, which is why I have no desire to watch.

Same.

Someone will probably 'take one for the team' and give us a summary though.

49 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

Some are excited about the interview. Saying it's going to be great. I replied that it would be a softball interview.

Riddled with technical glitches, if past history proves true.

• Members
1 minute ago, amybrickwallace said:
4 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Someone will probably 'take one for the team' and give us a summary though.

We should probably chip in to give that poster some Pepto Bismol to get through it.

or maybe an adult beverage or two…