Key Links: Announcements | Support Desk

As The World Turns Discussion Thread

edgeofnik

• Members
3 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Could royalties be the reason behind why Eileen Fulton and so many other senior veterans got so little storylines in the show's final years? Or was it just garden variety ageism?

Sounds to me like a bit of both.

I am looking forward to listening to the SMS interview. It sounds great. Congrats to @Soapsudsfor the shoutout!!! 

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• P.J.

• Soapsuds

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members
49 minutes ago, wonderwoman1951 said:

pretty sure headwriters getting royalties for characters is an urban legend. i’ve posed the questions to several headwriters over the years, all of whom said they didn’t.  

but she’s certainly right about the the exodus of actors after john (the hatchet man) valente replaced laurie caso

She said in the interview that Marland had it in his contract to get royalties for his creations.  

• Members
Posted (edited)

Despite the tech difficulties, this was one of the better interviews.  Maybe SMS felt more comfortable spilling tea since we could not see her, or maybe it was the 1on1 format...I'll have to have another listen to unpack everything she shared.

Loved hearing about her friendship w/ Jennifer Ashe and Renee Props that started before they were on the show together.  And her memories of Doug Marland made me adore him even more.  Interestingly, Martha Byrne was not mentioned once (hmmm).  Was glad SMS made it clear she was never intimidated or in awe of Hubbard or Bryggman.

Sadly, three of SMS' leading men died tragically -- Michael D Morrison, Michael Louden and Keith Pruitt.  Her comments about MDM's death were so very sad.  With Benjamin Hendrickson's death, its clear ATWT's cast included many tortured souls.

Edited by gimmetoo

• Members
35 minutes ago, Soaplovers said:

She said in the interview that Marland had it in his contract to get royalties for his creations.  

i know what she said…  but i when i was a freelance writer, any of my former editors would have insisted on independent corroboration before publishing it as fact.

so, would love to hear from someone else — or have a look at the contract. 

• Members
3 hours ago, Soapsuds said:

What a refreshing interview. Suzenne had some wonderful things to say, and love that not only was she willing to call-out the changes behind-the-scenes, but that Alan kind of encouraged it to happen (likely because he knew it wasn't Christopher Goutman). Though, was surprised he allowed her to talk about P&G.

• Members
6 hours ago, MarlandFan said:

While I appreciate Alan coordinating all of these soap actor reunions, he can be a very frustrating interviewer. He interrupts a great deal - and at inopportune times. Suzenne was going to expand on several topics but at her slightest pause, he jumps in and cuts her off. I'm sure we could have learned a lot more about Louden and Morrison and the post-Marland era if he would just let her speak. She was game to talk about everything.  And it sounds like she had a friendship with Marland -- we could have learned about that as well. Again - I'm glad these interviews are taking place - but there are so many missed opportunities.

This is the main reason these interviews are so frustrating. I don't know if he does it on purpose to keep too much personal information from getting out or if he just doesn't recognize opportunities. 

• Members

I honestly don't watch most of these anymore because it's painful to think about how Locher will likely cut off talented and intelligent subjects from discussing key stuff, and I can't imagine watching it happen live. I wish someone could draft the WLS people or hell, even Jamey frickin' Giddens.

• Members
19 minutes ago, Vee said:

I honestly don't watch most of these anymore because it's painful to think about how Locher will likely cut off talented and intelligent subjects from discussing key stuff, and I can't imagine watching it happen live. I wish someone could draft the WLS people or hell, even Jamey frickin' Giddens.

The interview today was pretty smooth, considering everything.

• Members
14 hours ago, Neil Johnson said:

At what point did Lisa become rich?  Was it after her divorce from John Eldridge, and her return from "Our Private World"?  Or was it when she married Whit McCall?   

It seems up to marrying Whit Lisa was upper middle class (as was almost everyone in Oakdale at the time.) She ran the bookstore and then Fashions, etc.  It was after Whit that she starting collecting businesses "like she used to men" as someone wrote in a soap mag.

• Members
On 7/11/2021 at 3:57 PM, DramatistDreamer said:

How would that work out chronologically though? Tonio would have had to have been a young teenager, like how Iva was only thirteen when she became pregnant with Lily. 

I mentioned Gabriel and Tonio because it would've provided an easy out to what I thought was a dumb storyline: making him Craig's. It also could have been a way to bring Bryant back with the discovery that Bryant was actually kidnapped and the "accident" staged, out of revenge for finding out that Gabriel's mother, before she passed away, convinced Sierra to protect Gabriel from ever finding out who his biological father was and Sierra, in turn, convincing Craig to go along with the ruse. Tonio finds out, summons his connections in the underground and criminal networks (with a helping hand from James Stenbeck, who still owed Tonio a favor) to take a son, to replace the son who was taken from him.

Gabriel being Tonio's would've made much more sense. I'm sure they could've lured Peter Boynton for a small stint near the end. What else did they have to lose with the show going off the air? It could've saved us the last six months being about Janet Ciccone and Barbara being petrified by that damn clown. 

• Members
1 minute ago, Forever8 said:

Gabriel being Tonio's would've made much more sense. I'm sure they could've lured Peter Boynton for a small stint near the end. What else did they have to lose with the show going off the air? It could've saved us the last six months being about Janet Ciccone and Barbara being petrified by that damn clown. 

Sometimes I pretend that most of that didn't happen.

If ATWT were ever to be fortunate enough to get any type of retool or revisit, a la All My Children/Pine Valley, I would definitely want to see a re-telling if certain stories. The last decade, in particular was pretty lousy story-wise. I'd be barraging whomever with story ideas for repairing the damage, because I've got tons.

• Members
11 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Sometimes I pretend that most of that didn't happen.

If ATWT were ever to be fortunate enough to get any type of retool or revisit, a la All My Children/Pine Valley, I would definitely want to see a re-telling if certain stories. The last decade, in particular was pretty lousy story-wise. I'd be barraging whomever with story ideas for repairing the damage, because I've got tons.

From your typed words to someone's eyes. 

• Members
13 hours ago, Soaplovers said:

Did Irna Phillips or her estate get royalties for the characters she created? If anyone was entitled to royalties, certainly it would've been her.

The more I think about it, the less likely I am to truly believe that the characters were pulled because of royalties (if he even had such an agreement). Sometimes executives say things and/or pass a rumor around, but it may be just that, a rumor.

I got a chance to listen to the interview 

I got a chance to listen to the, shall we call it an interview? Yeah, I agree that Alan talked over Suzenne a lot. It seemed as though, just when she was able to collect her thoughts and begin to talk, Alan was interjecting his thoughts. I got some enjoyment out of it, but like everyone else, I wish a more skilled host would have conducted this conversation.

Another thing that struck me is how memories can sometimes get tangled because Suzenne mentioned that she believed that she was the first actor on a soap of that era (i.e. since cigarette smoking was banned on TV) to smoke onscreen but I remember a few years prior to her Julie, I saw Leanna Love on Y&R light up onscreen during her debut during the late 1980s. I am not sure where she would have gotten that information.