As The World Turns Discussion Thread

Margaret Reed and Michael Swan dated, so that could have been a factor in the decision to pair their characters romantically. Ironically, though, by the time Shannon and Duncan got together, Reed and Swan had broken up, which also could have impacted what we saw onscreen.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Margaret Reed and Michael Swan dated, so that could have been a factor in the decision to pair their characters romantically. Ironically, though, by the time Shannon and Duncan got together, Reed and Swan had broken up, which also could have impacted what we saw onscreen.

How many of Swan's other, hum, behind-the-scenes idiosyncracies ended up impacting story, as far as is publicly known?

Just now, FrenchBug82 said:

How many of Swan's other, hum, behind-the-scenes idiosyncracies ended up impacting story, as far as is publicly known?

I have no idea. Reed and Swan both discussed their relationship in a reunion Livestream last year. AFAIK this was the sole aspect on ATWT. I can't speak to any other show he appeared on.

Tbh, when the show was in the doldrums in the final decade, I wouldn't have minded them bringing back Shannon, and even when Duncan had been brought back for adult Bonnie-- and given them a sub-story as endgame. The fans wouldn't have minded, considering there was so little else going on.

18 hours ago, DanMan869 said:

ATWT became somewhat labyrinthian and heavy under Marland as his characters took root and his stories had lots of Sturm und Drang, but I kind of appreciate that in retrospect. Look at the last year of ATWT and their "6-week Storylines"! Now that was a real nightmare of storytelling!

Oh--and yes, I loved Shannon/Margaret Reed when she first arrived, but... the whole Duncan/Scotland/Castle thing just got to be eye-rolling. (Michael Swan was always sexy as hell, but... the Scottish accent after while? Ugh.)

Its too bad that Horgan didn't go on to head write GL in 95 instead of McTrash.  GL was more freewheeling fun and kooky then its sister show but still had the focus on the families,  and with Nola back I think Horgan could have written her as fun instead of Iva in weird clothes we got.  I also wonder why Swan didn't go to other soaps..he also could have been on GL (without the dumb accent) and paired with Brown or I wonder if he and Zimmer would have chemistry.?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mitch said:

Its too bad that Horgan didn't go on to head write GL in 95 instead of McTrash.  GL was more freewheeling fun and kooky then its sister show but still had the focus on the families,  and with Nola back I think Horgan could have written her as fun instead of Iva in weird clothes we got.  I also wonder why Swan didn't go to other soaps..he also could have been on GL (without the dumb accent) and paired with Brown or I wonder if he and Zimmer would have chemistry.?

Hell, a slug would've written a better show for GL than McTrash--but Horgan would've been a good idea! 

Swan actually DID go to other soaps. He was on B&B for several years starting in the late '90s as Adam Alexander, Sally Spectra Sr.'s ex and Macy's father. Plus, right around the time of John Conboy's tenure on GL, Swan briefly appeared as businessman Brad Greene. For reasons I don't know, he was quickly recast with his ATWT co-star, Mark Pinter. Swan currently lives in Los Angeles, so (if he was interested) both Y&R and B&B could cast him (as could DOOL or GH). He's still very well-built, so that works in his favor as appearing quite virile for a 73-year old actor. Also related to his ATWT, I believe he's been in a relationship with former co-star Finn Carter ("Sierra Esteban Montgomery") for many years now.

On a "personal" level, if this is your interest/concern, he's quite the vocal political conservative. At one time, I was his Facebook friend (what a surprise he accepted that!), but eventually unfriended him because the occasional conservative rhetoric was a turn off. Once again, it proves that sometimes you don't really want to meet your "idols" on a personal level. (And, admittedly, I simply lusted after 1980s/90s Swan--I didn't necessarily idolize him!)

Edited by DanMan869
clarifying info about Swan's time on B&B
40 minutes ago, DanMan869 said:

Also related to his ATWT, I believe he's been in a relationship with former co-star Finn Carter ("Sierra Esteban Montgomery") for many years now.

That, I don't believe, especially considering Finn's recent struggles, she seemed completely alone.Not Safe For Work No GIF

1 hour ago, DanMan869 said:

On a "personal" level, if this is your interest/concern, he's quite the vocal political conservative. At one time, I was his Facebook friend (what a surprise he accepted that!), but eventually unfriended him because the occasional conservative rhetoric was a turn off. Once again, it proves that sometimes you don't really want to meet your "idols" on a personal level. (And, admittedly, I simply lusted after 1980s/90s Swan--I didn't necessarily idolize him!)

I knew that and I have read plenty of stories over the years about him being problematic behind-the-scenes on a more personal level which is why I was asking.

40 minutes ago, Forever8 said:

Promo for Search For Tomorrow and As The World Turns from 1981. 

Is this the story where John slept with Dee and he was sure she thought it was him while she thought he was Brad?

Anything I see of that character group in the early '80s is both offputting and dull. 

21 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

That, I don't believe, especially considering Finn's recent struggles, she seemed completely alone.https://media2.giphy.com/media/nR4L10XlJcSeQ/200.gif

DD, I stand corrected. I hadn't heard about her 2019 Las Vegas troubles--and, looking on the web a few minutes ago, they sound pretty sad. I also deleted my Facebook (and, earlier than that, my "FB friendship" with Michael Swan) in Spring 2019, so... somehow I missed reading about her troubles. I'm kind of surprised the current soap websites (I regularly peruse Daytime Confidential) never posted anything about it (as they have about other former soap stars' legal troubles) unless I missed that, too. (YIKES! LOL)

Unless Finn or Michael came forward and said they're no longer together, I don't think most people would have any idea whether or not they'd broken up.

2 hours ago, DanMan869 said:

DD, I stand corrected. I hadn't heard about her 2019 Las Vegas troubles--and, looking on the web a few minutes ago, they sound pretty sad. I also deleted my Facebook (and, earlier than that, my "FB friendship" with Michael Swan) in Spring 2019, so... somehow I missed reading about her troubles. I'm kind of surprised the current soap websites (I regularly peruse Daytime Confidential) never posted anything about it (as they have about other former soap stars' legal troubles) unless I missed that, too. (YIKES! LOL)

Unless Finn or Michael came forward and said they're no longer together, I don't think most people would have any idea whether or not they'd broken up.

I have never heard anything about them dating. In fact, I had heard that she was daring a doctor before all the problems began for her. I know she has been divorced for a few years and has two grown daughters, who hopefully she has reconnected with by now. I hope she is doing well and getting her life sorted for the better. 

The Vegas incident did indeed make news on we discussed it on this board. 

I know that Swan and Reed dates and Reed seems pretty liberal, bordering on downright progressive, but they dates a long time ago, so it is possible that one or both of them have since changed in their political views. I cannot even imagine Finn, of the Carter family, cousin to Jimmy Carter being romantically involved with anyone with Swan's current political views. Swan has some pretty bad stuff on his IG (I recently checked) and if you see Finn's Twitter, she is without doubt a Democrat, in the tradition of the Carter family.

I'm sorry but I am going to need some solid proof that they were actually together as a couple, lol. I mean it.

21 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

I have never heard anything about them dating. In fact, I had heard that she was daring a doctor before all the problems began for her. I know she has been divorced for a few years and has two grown daughters, who hopefully she has reconnected with by now. I hope she is doing well and getting her life sorted for the better. 

The Vegas incident did indeed make news on we discussed it on this board. 

I know that Swan and Reed dates and Reed seems pretty liberal, bordering on downright progressive, but they dates a long time ago, so it is possible that one or both of them have since changed in their political views. I cannot even imagine Finn, of the Carter family, cousin to Jimmy Carter being romantically involved with anyone with Swan's current political views. Swan has some pretty bad stuff on his IG (I recently checked) and if you see Finn's Twitter, she is without doubt a Democrat, in the tradition of the Carter family.

I'm sorry but I am going to need some solid proof that they were actually together as a couple, lol. I mean it.

Just to be clear--I'm not at all standing firm that Swan and Carter were definitely together. Though I could have sworn that at the time that I was FB "friends" with Swan that it was mentioned on his page that he was involved with Carter, but I could have misunderstood. Maybe they were together and ignored their political differences until one or both couldn't anymore? Stranger couple combinations have happened in the world that eventually imploded. Maybe someone else can chime in with more definitive info one way or another?

52 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

i know her father, hodding carter, worked in the carter administration, i don’t believe the two families were related — at least a google search didn’t turn up anything. 

this is the first i’ve heard anything about michael swan and finn carter, though certainly stranger political couplings have occurred. surprised that no ones’s mentioned that her first marriage was to steven weber (kevin gibson), whom she met when both were on atwt. 

1 hour ago, wonderwoman1951 said:

i know her father, hodding carter, worked in the carter administration, i don’t believe the two families were related — at least a google search didn’t turn up anything. 

this is the first i’ve heard anything about michael swan and finn carter, though certainly stranger political couplings have occurred. surprised that no ones’s mentioned that her first marriage was to steven weber (kevin gibson), whom she met when both were on atwt. 

We've all discussed her first marriage to Weber. Check the old posts.

Also there was a whole entire thread about soap stars who were married to other soap stars on their respective soaps and ATWT actors featured heavily, including Finn. Old news.

They're not related but whoa, the coincidence of having two left-leaning Southern families named Carter! That's one mighty coincidence. Somebody might want to consult Skip Gates!

3 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

so it is possible that one or both of them have since changed in their political views.

All I can say is that Swan's very right-wing leanings date a LONG time so it is not a late-life switch on his parts. I knew about them twenty years ago and I am just a random soapwatcher.