As The World Turns Discussion Thread

That's a great print promo. Hard to imagine any media outlet paying this much attention to promote a daytime soap for a print ad. Production companies do this in the trade magazines to promote their Oscar contenders but short of some miracle, I think we're past soaps ever doing this again. 

3 hours ago, Soapsuds said:

140571578_10164919902290694_891183138955

'89 should have been the last time we saw James Stenbeck, when Paul shot him, unless there was a damn good story to bring him back. The one that brought him back over a decade later wasn't it though.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Soapsuds said:

@DramatistDreamer agreed considering Marland was gone and by 89 James was played out.

I get that Stenbeck was originally meant to be a goner in '83 but his return in '86 was done so well-- probably the best written and executed return of a character that I have seen on a soap. So, I get that the temptation was there for another writing regime to bring the character back but by the end of the 90s, the writers knew so little about that far back in the show's history that, honestly, they should've just left it alone. The last regime to write him, wrote him as a complete caricature.

16 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

I get that Stenbeck was originally meant to be a goner in '83 but his return in '86 was done so well-- probably the best written and executed return of a character that I have seen on a soap. So, I get that the temptation was there for another writing regime to bring the character back but by the end of the 90s, the writers knew so little about that far back in the show's history that, honestly, they should've just left it alone. The last regime to write him, wrote him as a complete caricature.

I couldn't agree more. They should have left him dead back when Paul shot him. And I really enjoyed the character/actor. 

There's an episode from 1988 that features John Hensley wearing only tighty whities with his package very visible plus Robert Tyler completely shirtless. Lord Marland.....faints...

So I guess that was the Marcy before the blonde one, who got married to Linc? Funny how some names get repeated- I almost said the "first Marcy", but to me, that would be Marcy Thompson who was portrayed by Marisa Tomei.

I'd like to see more scenes between Susan and Lyla. I was on and off with my viewing of this show at this time and no doubt missed conversations between the two about being in a relationship with a younger man. Lyla's relationship with Cal does not seem to be of the kind that has permanent possibilities. I wonder whether it was always intended to be for a finite period of time.

I really hope someone can do a vlog or livestream interview with Parker Posey about her time on ATWT this year. Any interview with her that I have seen or read has never been boring.

I am going to say something that might be shocking and many will, no doubt disagree but, I don't hate Courtney. Is she overwrought, melodramatic and whiny? Yes, but she was deeply insecure and had the character stayed on the canvas a bit longer, she would have matured to the point where she could've played a more useful role especially seeing as Andy never married or had a solid relationship after she left, which imo, diminished his prospects for longevity on the canvas. Lily and Roseanna found a place on the canvas, I think with more work, Courtney could have too.

1 hour ago, victoria foxton said:

@DramatistDreamer I never hated Courtney either. The poor girl has been reviled on this thread. I only hated her during the very end of her run. When she was very unreasonable and nasty towards poor sweet Andy. Totally agree with you about Courtney. 

I think that was a common device on serial dramas, especially soaps to have a character become so deeply unlikeable, that when they are sent off the canvas, they won't be missed. It's kind of unfortunate because the character could have evolved. I don't know what the reasons were behind the actress's/character's departure but between her and Tess' eventual departure and, it doesn't look like much was done with Bianca, that age group of young women seemed like it diminished rather quickly.

Edited by DramatistDreamer
30 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

I really hope someone can do a vlog or livestream interview with Parker Posey about her time on ATWT this year. Any interview with her that I have seen or read has never been boring.

From the A.V. Club, a few years ago (apologies if posted):

As The World Turns (1991-1992)—“Tess Shelby”
AVC:
A soap opera must be the opposite experience, because you’re pushing through every shooting, right?

PP: [Laughs.] They bring the kids in at the crack of dawn. We’ll be in a rehearsal hall at 6, and then around 7:30 you’re in the works. You’re in hair and makeup. I had a great time on that. That was great training. I remember sitting on a rock, or banging my foot against a rock on set, like on the lake, and it making a hollow sound. Like, “Oh, it’s not real.” Even the grass is plastic. Some of the directors were easy, kind of, “Camp it up and have fun with it,” and some of them took it really seriously. I remember when I first showed up on set, my first day, I took a nap in my dressing room and my [character’s] Aunt Barbara knocked on the door and she came in, and she was like, “Be careful what you say around here, because the walls have ears.” I thought that was so fabulously funny, especially since I was probably 21 years old. I just ran into her four or five years ago. Her name is Colleen Zenk. And she hadn’t aged a bit. She looked amazing. It was so good to see her. I remember learning lines and sitting on them. Unless [the actor] started screaming or cursing, that was what ended up on television. It was like, “That was great! Moving on.” You get two takes and you would move on, and you’re like, “What?” [Laughs.]  It was just bad, like, “Wow, I’m doing really bad acting.” I was straight from drama school, so I was projecting. But I had fun.

I did Dazed And Confused during that time. They wanted to give me a three-year contract, but I just got out of drama school and I told As The World Turns that I didn’t want to be anywhere for three years after being in school, so they gave me a year and a half. After a year, when they saw that I was getting a lot of independent work, the producer, Laurence Caso, came up to me—and I’ll never forget, it was so cold in the studio. It was like a meat locker. You’d put on your wardrobe and your pantyhose and everything else, and then I’d wear two robes and just walk around shivering, and go to the green room and talk on the phone. And he came up to me and he says, “Parker, if it’s all right with you, I’d like to get Holden in a coma before Labor Day. And that would have your contract be cut short. Is that all right?” I was like, “That’s amazing Laurence. Thank you so much.” He goes, “You’ll always have a place here if you ever want to come back. Just keep in touch.” And I cried. I thought he was so sweet. [Laughs.] “Holden needs to be in a coma by Labor Day.” So funny. I got my first couch and TV, and my first apartment that I lived in for 13 years, during my soap days. Then I did all those independent movies through the ’90s.