Jump to content

As The World Turns Discussion Thread


Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, NothinButAttitude said:

While I can tip my hate somewhat to these shows trying to diversify in the 90s, I still can't get over how atrocious the writing was at the same time too. It just remains to be a constant reminder why soaps are so antiquated now. Look at them now even. Still using Black and Brown characters as window dressing; meanwhile, primetime, streaming platforms, and finally film are starting to realize the power of diversity. 

Did the show having any black writers or people of color on the show at that time? Not that they should be put into a box and only write for the black characters, but at least someone could have run the ideas by them.  I remember when Nancy Hughes was trying to teach a girl to read by using rap music. It made good use of history as she was a teacher and I know what they were trying to do..but even to my white college boy mentality it was kind of..squirmy...(why was it black character the one to not be able to read...there was no push and pull between Nancy and the character, the teen treated Nancy like everyone else on the show did at the time...) It would have been interesting to see Nancy deal with her own white privilege before there was even a term for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Mitch said:

Did the show having any black writers or people of color on the show at that time? Not that they should be put into a box and only write for the black characters, but at least someone could have run the ideas by them.  I remember when Nancy Hughes was trying to teach a girl to read by using rap music. It made good use of history as she was a teacher and I know what they were trying to do..but even to my white college boy mentality it was kind of..squirmy...(why was it black character the one to not be able to read...there was no push and pull between Nancy and the character, the teen treated Nancy like everyone else on the show did at the time...) It would have been interesting to see Nancy deal with her own white privilege before there was even a term for it.

Wasn't she the Lauryn Hill character Kira? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

While skimming through some research material, I decided to use my university access to various databases for something useful. Soap Operas, haha

 

I came across this and think it might be worth reading. It is a long dissertation done on As the World Turns which covers the years 1956 - 1978. I have only skimmed through, but it discusses the creation of the show, the various actors, stories, production and has interviews with producers and cast members. The woman who wrote this seemed to have unprecendented access to various materials and people from the show. 

 

It is a very, very long read, but hopefully there is something here you can enjoy and information you might like. 

 

out.pdf

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mitch said:

Did the show having any black writers or people of color on the show at that time? Not that they should be put into a box and only write for the black characters, but at least someone could have run the ideas by them.  I remember when Nancy Hughes was trying to teach a girl to read by using rap music. It made good use of history as she was a teacher and I know what they were trying to do..but even to my white college boy mentality it was kind of..squirmy...(why was it black character the one to not be able to read...there was no push and pull between Nancy and the character, the teen treated Nancy like everyone else on the show did at the time...) It would have been interesting to see Nancy deal with her own white privilege before there was even a term for it.

 

Only Black writers I can remember being on this show were Judy Tate and Susan Dansby. I don't see either of them green-lighting/pitching something like this. At least I hope they didn't. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, will81 said:

While skimming through some research material, I decided to use my university access to various databases for something useful. Soap Operas, haha

 

I came across this and think it might be worth reading. It is a long dissertation done on As the World Turns which covers the years 1956 - 1978. I have only skimmed through, but it discusses the creation of the show, the various actors, stories, production and has interviews with producers and cast members. The woman who wrote this seemed to have unprecendented access to various materials and people from the show. 

 

It is a very, very long read, but hopefully there is something here you can enjoy and information you might like. 

 

out.pdfUnavailable

The attachment is unavailable.It sounds fantastic so i hope we will be access it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Paul Raven said:

The attachment is unavailable.It sounds fantastic so i hope we will be access it.

No worries I will sort it

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, will81 said:

No worries I will sort it

 

Is there something I should be aware of? Did you encounter any issues when uploading your file? I just want to be sure that our settings aren't impacting your ability to upload documents/files. Let me know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Errol said:

 

Is there something I should be aware of? Did you encounter any issues when uploading your file? I just want to be sure that our settings aren't impacting your ability to upload documents/files. Let me know.

No issues,everything was fine and I even tested it by downloading it myself. Not entirely sure what the issue was.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, will81 said:

No issues,everything was fine and I even tested it by downloading it myself. Not entirely sure what the issue was.

Okay. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Errol said:

Okay. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Thank you, will do

So I have settled on uploading to mega. Here is the link, it is only 9MB and is a pdf. I did some screenshots for those who want to try before you buy see below. Let me know if there are any issues with the link

 

https://mega.nz/file/4M8SGKCS#OXwtNNhY8zWkuGksd4qB2ikpvStWr-pm-CcXna2wFYU

 

The whole thing is around 200 pages long, so enjoy. Hopefully it was worth reading

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 1.23.58 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 1.24.05 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 1.24.19 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 1.24.29 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 1.24.37 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 1.24.47 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 1.24.55 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 1.25.05 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 1.25.19 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 1.25.28 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 1.25.47 pm.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 1.25.59 pm.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2020 at 6:05 PM, NothinButAttitude said:

 

Was it you or @P.J. that said that Denise used to call Camille "high yella?" I remember bits and pieces of that era, but what stuck out mainly with me was that they wrote the obvious trope for Black women--light-skinned Camille being nice, educated, a doormat basically. Meanwhile, Denise, being of a darker hue, being angry, uneducated, etc. That irked the sh-t out of me seeing as once again they failed us Black viewers by providing us with real complex characters. 

 

Nope, not me. As a square white girl---I'd have to look that up in an urban dictionary.

 

Re: LIz....I could understand if she had been exasperated with Marland writing her as the heavy, while Lily made her jump through hoops for her love after discovering the down-to-earth, poor and noble Snyders. Admittedly, I didn't listen to her comments, but the almost obsessive way Marland wrote the town of Oakdale worshipping Lily, might have grated Liz to no end. Not to mention some others.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Brief clips from an episode...and look, @Mitchit features your two favorite character groups of this era. 

 

 

I wonder if the actors ever got tired of some of these songs. I think that is the second or third time I've heard that song.

Edited by DRW50
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ~bl~ said:

I was able to download and start reading too much to unpack right now, but thanks.

Yeah it is quite long and involved, I have not really read much of it either, thanks for letting me know it worked. Hope you get something out of it : )

Edited by will81
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DRW50 said:

Brief clips from an episode...and look, @Mitchit features your two favorite character groups of this era. 

 

 

I wonder if the actors ever got tired of some of these songs. I think that is the second or third time I've heard that song.

God that song is so hokey with the split screen, but it is a hokey that makes me feel good..only ATWT at this time would do this.  But really, what kind of song is that to play at a high end place..this is the first time I heard this song as opposed to Lyla's caterwalling of that dumb song of hers that hit the charts and capulted her to fame!!!

 

Which characters are you referring to..the group of the really stupid McKechnie Castle thing...(you know the one which got moved, brick by brick and all the furniture and tapestries and also, carried the ghost with it? Marland didn't do camp???) or the Mona Lisa gang?  I never really noticed before but the Duncan actor is really out of place in Marland's ATWT, he is sexy, masculine, not bad, and despite Marland doing his best to wussy him, not a wuss. He was fun when he was a rogue guy screwing Babs and causing problems for Shannon,  and yes, typical Marland, he does get boring and blander when he and Shannon get together..they always should have been the fun couple going on adventures and solving mysteries, not the typical Marland bores spouting off about intimacy and "honesty" in a relationship! I wonder what the actor would have done on GL which was more adventurous and campy.

 

And thanks..I love watching these old commercials and now I can't get that damn "Soft and Dry" song out of my head!

Edited by Mitch
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...