Jump to content

As The World Turns Discussion Thread


Recommended Posts


  • Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Mitch said:

This really explains to me why I never really liked Marland's work after the first year or so.  In a totally more sophisticated way it comes of similar to that of JER..a man of a certain age who has some issues with his sexuality or is at least closeted to most of the world...(I remember him bringing the Marsha actress to the reclaimed Emmy ceremony and the mags saying she was Marland's "girlfriend") Uptight, pretentious, cold, sex scenes very clinical and "remote" and of course his fetish of beefy guys in jeans..(never understood why he made Holden a business guy..why not just have him take over the farm and ship boring Emma off to Kansas or someplace...) Its odd that a show so based on family had really cold families at the forefront...(say what you want about GL, and its dismantling of its core but what was left of the Bauer family, and the Lewis, etc, I always felt were like "real" familes and they dysfuntional Spaulding still felt like their were strong emotions involved...(watch BevAlex and anyone in her family..at her bitchiness you can see love and warmth and a stuggle to dominate for her family's own good..) 

 

At least, like any gay man, he wrote for the older divas Lisa and Lucinda !

 

 

As much as I love the Hughes family, I thought they were always kind of boring and stuffy from the very beginning when compared to other soap families. I much preferred the Bauers and Hortons. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Soapsuds said:

How dare you disrespect Connor. She was a great character. I liked Linc as well. I didn't care for Rosanna.

 

Marland created all of them but didn't write the Kasanoffs. He had already passed by then.

Lord, I hated boring, hook nosed Connor! Just what we need, another cold business woman who of course, is getting it on with the steroid muscle boy in tight jeans.  Okay Marland, you like young guys in tight jeans..geez!

 

What I hated was all of these influx of characters who were Lucinda's siblings, step siblings, whatever the hell they were. I love that Hubbard felt that Marland never wrote for her..actors egos are a bitch aint they?

2 minutes ago, BillBauer said:

 

 

As much as I love the Hughes family, I thought they were always kind of boring and stuffy from the very beginning when compared to other soap families. I much preferred the Bauers and Hortons. 

Agreed, and I grew up on the Hughes family..(my quiet nap time was during "World Turns" so my mom could watch her show in peace, so Hastings, Fulton and Wagner's voices were always..comfort food for the ears...how many times had I heard..."Now Lisa dear...")

Link to post
Share on other sites

I reread the original ATWT (or...ATET) bible last night, and I wonder if stuffy was what Irna was going for with the Hughes family in the beginning. The basic premise was to delve a little deeper into what seemed to be a cookie cutter 50s suburban family to see that there was less love there than what you'd imagine. The family really only loved each other in pairs - Chris and Nancy, Penny and Don, and Bob and Grandpa. Chris and Nancy had tension with their older children, and there was tension between Nancy and Edith, and over at the Lowells', there was tension between Jim and the Judge, between Jim and Claire, and between Ellen and both her parents. It's a wonder that ATWT somehow became known as a warm family soap when for so much of the beginning, it was the opposite.

I remember last year I wrote a post comparing the early Hughes family with the early Bauer family, and I said it was "The Hugheses against the world" and "The Bauers against each other," and I think I might have missed the mark there. The Bauers were more emotionally extreme. When the drama was on, the drama was ON, but when the love was there, it was THERE. The Hugheses were more subdued.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, All My Shadows said:

I reread the original ATWT (or...ATET) bible last night, and I wonder if stuffy was what Irna was going for with the Hughes family in the beginning. The basic premise was to delve a little deeper into what seemed to be a cookie cutter 50s suburban family to see that there was less love there than what you'd imagine. The family really only loved each other in pairs - Chris and Nancy, Penny and Don, and Bob and Grandpa. Chris and Nancy had tension with their older children, and there was tension between Nancy and Edith, and over at the Lowells', there was tension between Jim and the Judge, between Jim and Claire, and between Ellen and both her parents. It's a wonder that ATWT somehow became known as a warm family soap when for so much of the beginning, it was the opposite.

I remember last year I wrote a post comparing the early Hughes family with the early Bauer family, and I said it was "The Hugheses against the world" and "The Bauers against each other," and I think I might have missed the mark there. The Bauers were more emotionally extreme. When the drama was on, the drama was ON, but when the love was there, it was THERE. The Hugheses were more subdued.

The Hughes family seemed more repressed and steeped in high expectations..same as the Lowell family in the early years..and even in the 80s, the show seemed more muted even with the glam turned up.

 

I think it was @Khanwho said a Pam long/douglas Marland team up would have worked..and I kind of agree. 

 

And Marland's 1st year at ATWT was strong due to him carrying on the plots started by Bledsoe Horgan.  She had a more energetic pace to her writing and plotting than he did.  

 

And I do think I see why Hubbard didn't think Marland wrote for her.  He seemed to prop his Snyder family pets at the expense of Lucinda.  His writing tended to slant Lucinda as 'bad' and the Snyder's as 'good' in terms of Lily.  Pre Marland, Lucinda/Lily had a realistic mother and daughter relationship...fought but loved one another.  During the Marland era, Lily was written as barely tolerating Lucinda with her idealized version of the Snyder's as the perfect family.  Later writers did make Lily and Lucinda more realistic as mom/daughter..imho

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Soaplovers said:

I think it was @Khanwho said a Pam long/douglas Marland team up would have worked..and I kind of agree.

 

Well, I know I wasn't the FIRST one to suggest this pairing, but I did agree that the two complimented each other; and I still think that to be the case.  (That is, if Douglas Marland was ever open to collaboration on that level, which I doubt, lol.)

 

I think it comes down to producers.  Marland's best work seemed to happen under EP's (Robert Calhoun, Gloria Monty, even Allen Potter) who saw the potential in, and amplified the rest of the production to match, the writing, thereby creating a sense of energy and vibrancy that other producers (Joe Stuart and ESPECIALLY Laurie Caso) couldn't.

 

Now, imagine, for the moment, Douglas Marland working with the likes of JFP.  ;) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My late mother watched As the World Turns from the beginning.   She hated Nancy during the early years.   She said that Nancy was downright mean to Penny.   (She blamed Penny someway for Susan's drowning.)   She loved it when Aunt Edie would periodically return to the show (I say "periodically," but I think that it may have only been once.)  She did like Pa and Judge Hughes.

 

I know that Helen Wagner was written off as Nancy during the first year.  I think that she played Nancy as a too mean character.   Then Irna Phillips wanted her back.  I guess that Ms. Wagner then toned down the character.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, danfling said:

My late mother watched As the World Turns from the beginning.   She hated Nancy during the early years.   She said that Nancy was downright mean to Penny.   (She blamed Penny someway for Susan's drowning.)   She loved it when Aunt Edie would periodically return to the show (I say "periodically," but I think that it may have only been once.)  She did like Pa and Judge Hughes.

 

I know that Helen Wagner was written off as Nancy during the first year.  I think that she played Nancy as a too mean character.   Then Irna Phillips wanted her back.  I guess that Ms. Wagner then toned down the character.

 

Very minor point but Susan Hughes didn't drown. She was struck by lightening while swimming which is what killed her. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You know, I never understood that part of the Hugheses' backstory.  Susan Hughes was struck by lightning while swimming?  Was the lightning some freak occurrence?  What was she doing swimming during a storm anyway?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Khan said:

You know, I never understood that part of the Hugheses' backstory.  Susan Hughes was struck by lightning while swimming?  Was the lightning some freak occurrence?  What was she doing swimming during a storm anyway?

 

 

Yeah, it was a freak accident. Susan was a child so she probably didn't know how dangerous it was? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oooh, that would have been a GREAT opportunity to revisit ATWT history!  What if Susan (Hughes, not Stewart) had NOT died in that manner?  What if that had been a "cover story" to hide the truth -- like, she was killed by someone (a family member?  Maybe the long-forgotten uncle, John?) who attempted to molest her or something?

Link to post
Share on other sites

The story bible says that Susan was 14 when she jumped into the high school pool and suffered a fatal concussion. I'm assuming that point must have changed by the time the show got on the air.

 

The Helen Wagner firing story always gets simplified as Irna just didn't like the way Helen poured coffee, but I wouldn't be surprised if Irna, in true fashion, had major issues with Helen's portrayal and saw the coffee pouring as the last straw.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Khan said:

 

Well, I know I wasn't the FIRST one to suggest this pairing, but I did agree that the two complimented each other; and I still think that to be the case.  (That is, if Douglas Marland was ever open to collaboration on that level, which I doubt, lol.)

 

 

Ha, if he ever was open to it, surely his time at Loving changed all that...  (As the pre-Marland bible makes clear, as well as Nixon's notes during the first year, Agnes Nixon was extremely involved in the overall plotting and somehow I doubt that even if it had been a monster hit in its first year, Marland would have happily stuck around

). 

Edited by EricMontreal22
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, All My Shadows said:

I remember last year I wrote a post comparing the early Hughes family with the early Bauer family, and I said it was "The Hugheses against the world" and "The Bauers against each other," and I think I might have missed the mark there. The Bauers were more emotionally extreme. When the drama was on, the drama was ON, but when the love was there, it was THERE. The Hugheses were more subdued.

If the Bauers and Hughes were part of an extended family, I feel like the latter would be the branch that maybe had nicer cars, kept the house a bit neater (to the point where it was noticeable) and was a little more icier/passive aggressive at full get togethers. The Bauers would be the branch that was better at keeping it real. They're still family and lovable/loving, but different genes and attitudes.

 

(Meanwhile, Jo insert-last-name is your mother's fabulous but slightly exhausting friend. Or Felicia Gallant has that role if mom was more of a lady who lunched.)

Edited by Franko
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   1 member



×
×
  • Create New...