Jump to content


edgeofnik

As The World Turns Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

Found an update on Kathryn Hays. This article appeared in her hometown newspaper around 2 weeks ago: https://www.bcrnews.com/2020/01/23/retired-actress-pays-visit-to-nursing-home/a5nbe3j/

 

I also read on the Eileen Fulton Fan Club page on Facebook that Eileen Fulton recently moved back to North Carolina. I guess she’s really retired from the NYC acting/performing scene!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2020 at 6:10 PM, DRW50 said:

 

Holden would have worked as (not to stereotype) a bisexual schemer who was dead behind the eyes (as JH was pretty dead-eyed in those years anyway - he only warmed up as he got older) and would do anyone for power. 

I always thought that of Jonathon on GL...he always seemed that he would be up to be with anyone, but not for fun but for sick kicks and power over them...kind of Reva's sexual ID turned inside out.  Holden would have been great as that also but soaps always had to do a boring gay storyline like Lily's kid where everyone is so bland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching that 1993 episode I wondered how Marland would have written Holden as a father. I had to fight my resentment in the scenes where he was spending time with Aaron (not knowing he was Aaron's father), because it made me realize that Marland may have actually had Holden as a loving dad. After Marland died, Holden basically just began chasing after Lily 24/7, and then, even more incredibly, got involved with a woman and spent more time with her son than he did with his actual son. I have a feeling they got backlash over this because there was a scene where Emma chewed him out for not spending time with Aaron. 

 

I wonder if they were considering pairing Barbara with Kirk, considering the way he was hovering over her and I'm not sure what Hal's status on the show was at this time. I enjoyed the brief Kirk/Iva scene - wish they'd considered going there again.

 

The story with Edwina and Evan thinking Rosanna was his sister is just dumb...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if this is of interest to anyone, but I found this recording. Eileen Fulton singing Help Me Make It Through the Night. It's quite something. Ms. Fulton's recordings are hard to find on Youtube. 

 

 

Edited by Dax7000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing all this good material, both of you.

 

Eileen is certainly very...dramatic in that cover. 

 

Very very rare to see 1984 material that hasn't already been passed around. @safe this episode has Richard Backus (probably the only bright spot of all that part of the story, aside from Kim Johnson Ulrich). 

 

It's fun to see Lisa scheming, even if the silliness is laid on a little thick. I enjoyed the scene where she was so reluctant to call Lucinda a woman. Jason Kincaid did a decent job playing foil to Eileen but they made the right decision recasting with Gregg Marx. Kincaid may have been better off being cast in a comical supporting role - maybe someone at the Argus to help with dull Brian. 

 

The real meat of this episode is the Karen/Dusty/John material.  So beautifully acted and heartfelt. Larry B may have seen the soaps as slumming, but he always gave his best. Kate McNeil and Brian Bloom are also very moving in their scene together. A great deal of potential was lost when Marland downgraded this whole setup for Holden. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When watching this, was this for sure Karen's last episode? If so, I am glad they gave her a good sendoff that didn't end in murder and mayhem, which soaps seem to think is must see TV nowadays. From the little I've seen of her, I am surprised Karen wasn't brought back in later years for John. 

 

What I really enjoyed about the episode was Lisa v. Lucinda. Two great divas going to war. It always boggles my mind how the last decade of the show didn't revive their rivalry when it could've been done so easily. It would've given both women so much to do versus having them serve the role as "talk to" characters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NothinButAttitude said:

When watching this, was this for sure Karen's last episode? If so, I am glad they gave her a good sendoff that didn't end in murder and mayhem, which soaps seem to think is must see TV nowadays. From the little I've seen of her, I am surprised Karen wasn't brought back in later years for John. 

 

What I really enjoyed about the episode was Lisa v. Lucinda. Two great divas going to war. It always boggles my mind how the last decade of the show didn't revive their rivalry when it could've been done so easily. It would've given both women so much to do versus having them serve the role as "talk to" characters. 

 

If Soapcentral is accurate, her last is in late October.

 

I agree about the Lisa and Lucinda rivalry. Instead we just had Lisa bitching at Carly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DRW50 said:

 

If Soapcentral is accurate, her last is in late October.

 

I agree about the Lisa and Lucinda rivalry. Instead we just had Lisa bitching at Carly.

 

Which I didn't get seeing as Carly was Lisa in her youth. 

 

I always felt that Lisa should've taken Carly back under her wings in the later years like she had done previous schemers (Marcy, Julie) in past years. I also felt that they should've had Lisa/Babs/Carly start a fashion house together with lots of comedic stories consisting of the three.  

 

Back to Lisa/Lucinda, they had plenty between them to reignite a rivalry. Lily co-owning the Lakeview and having a bond with Lisa could've been one way. We all know how Lucy gets when Lily forms a bond with another woman. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After seeing how the show wrote Susan/kim's feud in the final years..probably best the show didn't focus on lisa and Lucinda as a feud in those final years. 

 

I've heard of Karen..all good things.  Would she have fit into Marland's Oakdale?  Would Diana? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Soaplovers said:

After seeing how the show wrote Susan/kim's feud in the final years..probably best the show didn't focus on lisa and Lucinda as a feud in those final years. 

 

Susan and Kim had a rivalry in the final years? When? B/c I don't ever remember either of them hardly getting screen time. I would've been fine with whatever they gave any of these 4 women as long as they drove a story that lasted more than 3 weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched the show for a short time in the last few years and can't speak to everything that occurred, but there was this one scene where Susan had it out with Kim about Chris locking Alison in a room.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree about the Lisa/Lucinda feud.  Eileen Fulton often stated she enjoyed Lisa's wicked side best, and I feel that shows in her work. The way Lisa went after Lucinda, and her later ruthlessness in trying to ruin John, were some of the last great moments given to the character. I got tired of Lisa being an agony aunt for Oakdale's younger set. 

 

I recall Lisa and Lucinda being friendly in the late 90's. I don't know if it was a mutual dislike of Molly, but I recall them working together to stop her from disrupting Lily's wedding or something. 

 

 

 

Edited by Dax7000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ReddFoxx said:

I watched the show for a short time in the last few years and can't speak to everything that occurred, but there was this one scene where Susan had it out with Kim about Chris locking Alison in a room.

 

That's my point. They had a scene every now and them of them exchanging barbs but nothing more. The perk of having Chris being tossed into the orbit of the Stewarts was that it could've created plenty for Susan and Kim to do. 

 

1 hour ago, Dax7000 said:

I agree about the Lisa/Lucinda feud.  Eileen Fulton often stated she enjoyed Lisa's wicked side best, and I feel that shows in her work. The way Lisa went after Lucinda, and her later ruthlessness in trying to ruin John, were some of the last great moments given to the character. I got tired of Lisa being an agony aunt for Oakdale's younger set. 

 

I recall Lisa and Lucinda being friendly in the late 90's. I don't know if it was a mutual dislike of Molly, but I recall them working together to stop her from disrupting Lily's wedding or something. 

 

It probably was about Molly seeing as Molly was a leper at that time alongside her cousin, Carly. It'd make sense for the 2 to team up in that instance. 

 

However, it was still stupid on the TPTB to not capitalize on this rivalry of Lucinda/Lisa. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I remember Susan and Kim were both written in a very juvenile way in their feud scenes, which was out of character for Kim. What do you expect with hacks though.

 

Anyway...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...