Jump to content
edgeofnik

As The World Turns Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Paul Raven said:

Henderson Forsythe was 64 in that 81 ep and Linda Dano was 38 so quite an age difference.

 

Meanwhile real life couple Larry Bryggman was 43 and Jacquie Shultz was 25.

 

Funny how some  people looked older back then. I imagine a 43 yr old in todays soaps would have a much more youthful appearance than Larry B.

 

I always forget Dano is actually a few years older than what I think she is, I think it was the whole Felicia turns 40 in '89 that throws me off. I also think it also came to how each show stylized their cast members as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Khan said:

Honestly, aside from Breck Jamison's running in motion, that dream sequence wasn't that awful.  And even the running in motion could have been avoided if they had instead intercut his running on the beach with Frannie facing off against the thugs.

 I thought it was cute. A total  product of its time. giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seemed as though even Bob Hughes, when you look at this dating history between the times he was married to Lisa and eventually, to Kim, the show also seemed to put him in relationships with women who looked demonstrably younger than him.

 

I'm not sure if Anne Sward was in the role of Lyla Montgomery when Bob and Lyla were engaged but I remember looking at a scene between the two that supposedly took place not long after their engagement had broken up and couldn't help but think how much younger Lyla (Sward) looked than Bob. 

 

Back then, I think the show had a "yen" for putting younger women with their most senior male characters.  Ironically, two out of three of those male characters found their best pairings with women who would be considered age appropriate to those characters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

It seemed as though even Bob Hughes, when you look at this dating history between the times he was married to Lisa and eventually, to Kim, the show also seemed to put him in relationships with women who looked demonstrably younger than him.

 

I'm not sure if Anne Sward was in the role of Lyla Montgomery when Bob and Lyla were engaged but I remember looking at a scene between the two that supposedly took place not long after their engagement had broken up and couldn't help but think how much younger Lyla (Sward) looked than Bob. 

 

Back then, I think the show had a "yen" for putting younger women with their most senior male characters.  Ironically, two out of three of those male characters found their best pairings with women who would be considered age appropriate to those characters.

 

I think Sward came in midway through that story.

 

The awkward part is one of those age-iffy pairings for Bob ended up carrying over to real life...

Edited by DRW50

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

It seemed as though even Bob Hughes, when you look at this dating history between the times he was married to Lisa and eventually, to Kim, the show also seemed to put him in relationships with women who looked demonstrably younger than him.

 

Except Miranda.  Although she, too, is probably way younger than Don Hastings, Elaine Princi appeared more age-appropriate to me than Anne Sward or Valekka Gray.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Khan said:

 

Except Miranda.  Although she, too, is probably way younger than Don Hastings, Elaine Princi appeared more age-appropriate to me than Anne Sward or Valekka Gray.

 

Princi is 12 years younger than Hastings, while both Sward and Gray are both 16 years younger. I think I bought some of it mainly because Hastings maintained a bit of a baby face into the 80s. 

3 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

 

Back then, I think the show had a "yen" for putting younger women with their most senior male characters.  Ironically, two out of three of those male characters found their best pairings with women who would be considered age appropriate to those characters.

 

The other issue the show had a natch for was actresses in their early '30's to have their character's saddled with adult children. Anne Sward's Lyla being the mother of Margo, Cricket, and Craig?? Ridiculous! They should have had  Mary Linda Rapeleye play Lyla instead if that was going to be the case. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why was Miranda using a German accent in those scenes? Was she trying to be a Wonder Woman villain? Her scene there does not jibe with the storyline later, where she was just trying to gain access to kill Big and avenger her lovers death. Princi doesnt show any ambivilance there. Ellen was kind of being a bitch to Dee, and..Dr. Joyce???

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

33 years ago, Kim Hughes had her own Labor Day, going into labor and giving birth to Chris, her son with Bob Hughes in a dynamic episode that still has yet to be posted to YouTube (or any video sharing platform AFAIK).

 

Back then, ATWT always had truly memorable Labor Day episode's, usually a cliffhanger, made even more intense by the fact that the story resolution was delayed by increasing US Open tennis coverage often pre-empting episodes. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/5/2019 at 4:08 PM, dragonflies said:

 

 

Congrats to her. IMO, she deserves so much more recognition than she ever got. Kathy Hays is true one of daytime's greatest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

im curious about somthing. ATWT is in the same universe as YR and Bold correct? So how come the two soaps didn't bring on any of the ATWT characters after its cancellation? I know we got that LA diaries spin off but that seems to be it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AdamNewmanFan said:

im curious about somthing. ATWT is in the same universe as YR and Bold correct? So how come the two soaps didn't bring on any of the ATWT characters after its cancellation? I know we got that LA diaries spin off but that seems to be it.

 

No, they're really not.

That little stint they did with Alison and Amber was something of a lark, borne out of desperation for synergy.  Y&R was Sony/Bell and ATWT was P&G.   Had both shows truly existed in the same universe, Michael Baldwin would never have been able to go on ATWT as Michael Baldwin, where he was once known as Kurt McColl.

 

TBH, ATWT existed more in the same universe as AW and other P&G soaps.  That's why the Jake and Cass cross-overs made sense. Bay City was often mentioned as existing not too far from Oakdale.  I always wanted GL and ATWT to do a cross-over, they were both P&G soaps, had a legacy of having shared some of the same writers and had a similar feel of having a matriarch-centered canvas with "warmth" to it. 

 

Y&R had more of a cool, slick tone and it really had no legacy of being matriarchal-centered. I think that, for the most part ATWT and Y&R naturally existed in two different universes.  The Alison storyline, for the most part was still relegated to ATWT's universe, it had no impact on any existing stories in Genoa City. 

 

I think the couple of episodes where they said that Alison was in Genoa City seemed oddly out of place with the regular show.  It also seemed as if those episodes were filmed separately, apart from the rest of the show, as if it existed entirely in a vacuum, away from the regular Y&R.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DramatistDreamer said:

 

No, they're really not.

That little stint they did with Alison and Amber was something of a lark, borne out of desperation for synergy.  Y&R was Sony/Bell and ATWT was P&G.   Had both shows truly existed in the same universe, Michael Baldwin would never have been able to go on ATWT as Michael Baldwin, where he was once known as Kurt McColl.

 

TBH, ATWT existed more in the same universe as AW and other P&G soaps.  That's why the Jake and Cass cross-overs made sense. Bay City was often mentioned as existing not too far from Oakdale.  I always wanted GL and ATWT to do a cross-over, they were both P&G soaps, had a legacy of having shared some of the same writers and had a similar feel of having a matriarch-centered canvas with "warmth" to it. 

 

Y&R had more of a cool, slick tone and it really had no legacy of being matriarchal-centered. I think that, for the most part ATWT and Y&R naturally existed in two different universes.  The Alison storyline, for the most part was still relegated to ATWT's universe, it had no impact on any existing stories in Genoa City. 

 

I think the couple of episodes where they said that Alison was in Genoa City seemed oddly out of place with the regular show.  It also seemed as if those episodes were filmed separately, apart from the rest of the show, as if it existed entirely in a vacuum, away from the regular Y&R.

thanks :)  Sad i never got to watch these shows while they aired. I hear P&G really wanted out of the soap business when GL and ATWT got cancelled right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, AdamNewmanFan said:

thanks :)  Sad i never got to watch these shows while they aired. I hear P&G really wanted out of the soap business when GL and ATWT got cancelled right?

 

Some would say that P&G wanted out of producing soaps since they canceled AW in 1999, which was a full decade before the cancellation of GL. I tend to think that by the time AW got canceled, the decision had been made to phase out their remaining soaps, basically to let them fade into oblivion without intervention.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

 

 

TBH, ATWT existed more in the same universe as AW and other P&G soaps.  That's why the Jake and Cass cross-overs made sense. Bay City was often mentioned as existing not too far from Oakdale.  I always wanted GL and ATWT to do a cross-over, they were both P&G soaps, had a legacy of having shared some of the same writers and had a similar feel of having a matriarch-centered canvas with "warmth" to it. 

 

 

 

I think the couple of episodes where they said that Alison was in Genoa City seemed oddly out of place with the regular show.  It also seemed as if those episodes were filmed separately, apart from the rest of the show, as if it existed entirely in a vacuum, away from the regular Y&R.

 

And the P&G soaps had a long history of referencing the others---at least obliquely. For instance, road signs or travel destinations might have been "Bay City", "Oakdale" and "Springfield". (With occasional nods to Love of Life with Rosehill, Search for Tomorrow with Henderson or Edge of Night with Monticello...)

 

I was always puzzled why ATWT and GL never in later years did any kind of crossover---especially when they were still taping in the same building.

 

RE: the Y&R/ATWT crossover---wasn't there some kind of "see content online" hook to that story? I seem to recall something about that---I don't think Amber went over well on YR and they were trying to seem edgy with the story about Amber & Ali and how they met doing porn or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...