Jump to content
Key Links: Announcements | Support Desk

As The World Turns Discussion Thread


edgeofnik

Recommended Posts

  • Members

Ironically, Gary Hudson (ex-Rick) lasted only 13 weeks.

 

There must be something wrong with me.  Several have spoken negatively about the quality of Justin Deas' performances.  However, he's one of those actors who never, ever bores me.  I mean, I absolutely love to watch the guy act.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • P.J.

    664

  • Soapsuds

    1128

  • DRW50

    2438

  • DramatistDreamer

    1441

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Members
On 3/15/2019 at 6:47 PM, DramatistDreamer said:

In the Old Y&R thread, being treated to some vintage episodes from the 1970s and appreciating how magnanimous many Y&R fans are, dipping into their collections and trading and sharing videos.  Also wondering why ATWT doesn't have that same tradition.

The Y&R videos are in such good picture quality, better than many of the ATWT ones from the 1980s and even early '90s!

I truly don't understand what would be the harm in sharing, if you have vintage videos?  I feel like, with Y&R, every year a crop of vintage episodes pop up somewhere online while with ATWT, I'm seeing many of the same videos uploaded and reuploaded from the past ten years on YouTube.  

 

 

1

I have no idea why classic ATWT from the '70s and '80s is so rare. Y&R fans have to go the extra step of making their uploads private since Sony or CBS has public uploads removed quickly. ATWT doesn't have that issue since it's off the air, so the lack of uploads is surprising. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
2 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Dana Delaney!

Please register in order to view this content

This episode was quite enjoyable, imo.  The cat and mouse interplay between John Dixon and James Stenbeck is very compelling.  It's nice to see Justin Deas (as Tom Hughes) give a performance that isn't hammy.  To see Margo arguing with Lyla and being very much invested in a relationship with James is quite interesting to see.

Those scenes between Brad and Eric Hollister were...uh, interesting.  I was mostly interested in their discussion about Hayley and it was kind of weird to see that Brad was thinking about the possibilities of a relationship with either Lisa or Dee Stewart, two very different women.

Also, I liked this actor who played Rick Ryan.  In the later iteration of Rick, the character was much more obvious as a menace, very oily but this Rick is a bit more complex, almost wears two faces, one that appears earnest but underneath, lies a mercenary.

I would love to see more episodes from these storylines.  The video quality is excellent too, I'm guessing it's from one of the SoapClassics collections.

 

 

The scenes between James & John are truly riveting. I just love how Johnny D turned the tables on James. How i wish there was more of their adversarial relationship online. A shame they didn't keep this Rick. Rick & Babs had good sibling chemistry. I love Dana Delaney since China Beach. But i don't think she was right for Haley.   I recently rewatched a clip from 1983. Where James runs into John. Who everyone believed was dead. The scene starts at 3 mins in.  The look of fright and shock James has is great. It's interesting that John always seem to have the upper hand with James. Having problems embedding the video. It's called ATWT 1980's Dee's Trial John is Alive pt 2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
3 hours ago, Khan said:

 

There must be something wrong with me.  Several have spoken negatively about the quality of Justin Deas' performances.  However, he's one of those actors who never, ever bores me.  I mean, I absolutely love to watch the guy act.

 

Generally, I doubt they're speaking about his years as Tom. It's his years as GL's Buzz that wore on me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

OK, this is the most random thing ever, but I was recently listening to Gregory Porter's tribute album to Nat "King" Cole, and found myself browsing around on the internet, reading about the song 'I Wonder Who My Daddy Is', when a website listed "actress Eileen Fulton" as having recorded the song as well. There was even a link: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRpZHkLzr9I&feature=youtu.be

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
On 3/19/2019 at 7:55 PM, DramatistDreamer said:

Dana Delaney!

Please register in order to view this content

This episode was quite enjoyable, imo.  The cat and mouse interplay between John Dixon and James Stenbeck is very compelling.  It's nice to see Justin Deas (as Tom Hughes) give a performance that isn't hammy.  To see Margo arguing with Lyla and being very much invested in a relationship with James is quite interesting to see.

Those scenes between Brad and Eric Hollister were...uh, interesting.  I was mostly interested in their discussion about Hayley and it was kind of weird to see that Brad was thinking about the possibilities of a relationship with either Lisa or Dee Stewart, two very different women.

Also, I liked this actor who played Rick Ryan.  In the later iteration of Rick, the character was much more obvious as a menace, very oily but this Rick is a bit more complex, almost wears two faces, one that appears earnest but underneath, lies a mercenary.

I would love to see more episodes from these storylines.  The video quality is excellent too, I'm guessing it's from one of the SoapClassics collection.

 

 

 

Wow. I realize Rick was always a weasel but Bob seemed like a real dick in that scene between the two. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
4 hours ago, BillBauer said:

 

Wow. I realize Rick was always a weasel but Bob seemed like a real dick in that scene between the two. 

 

There were definitely times when Bob's shortness of temperament reared its head in situations.  I know that John Dixon was often a provocateur who could get under anybody's skin but there were a few instances when he would voice a genuine concern with Bob (although, in typical John fashion, he used neither diplomacy nor tact) and Bob would just go off on John, sometimes unprovoked.  Bob could be very haughty, as he displayed with new resident Casey Perretti, even when Casey's ideas were in earnest (and yes, on occasion, Casey could rub people the wrong way with his abrupt manner).

 

Then there is the way that Bob talked down to Kim when he found out that she wanted to have a career shortly after Christopher was born.  Everyone talked about Steve Andropoulous' regressive views on married women (w/kids) in the workplace but no one mentioned Bob's, even after both Kim and Lisa challenged Bob on his out of step views.

 

FWIW, I think various writing regimes tried to show just how imperfect and flawed Bob could be (in many ways) but a lot of viewers often built up a hagiography in their own minds, based upon those warm and wonderful Thanksgiving toasts and Christmas carols but Bob was still the man who cheated on two of his wives.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

 

There is a profile of her from a few years back on the popular Humans of New York blog/Facebook page.  Unfortunately, I can't seem to embed the entry, probably because I'm not a member of Facebook but because the page is Public, I was able to read it.  What she has to say is unsurprising but pretty interesting.

 

https://www.facebook.com/humansofnewyork/photos/a.102107073196735/1415486905192072/?type=3&theater

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Community Activity

    1. 7,178

      Another World

    2. 7,178

      Another World

    3. 7,178

      Another World

    4. 315

      MeTV

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy