Jump to content
Key Links: Announcements | Support Desk

As The World Turns Discussion Thread


edgeofnik

Recommended Posts

  • Members
3 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

 

Also, after Marland died, no Penny right?  

 

Both Penny and Ellen returned for Nancy's 80th birthday celebration. Overwhelmed by all the irrelevant newbies stinking up the joint, LOL, Penny had the immortal line, "Who ARE all these people?"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • P.J.

    664

  • Soapsuds

    1128

  • DRW50

    2438

  • DramatistDreamer

    1441

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Members

I think Ellen came back that Thanksgiving in 1998... and I think a year or so later, Penny came as a surprise for Nancy.. arranged by Emily.

 

And I think in late 2000, Lyla came back for a visit.. basically exposing that Katie lied about her being a neglectful mom, etc... which seemed out of character for Lyla when Katie was first introduced.. and I think that was the only way the writers saw to undo that out of character action.. by having it revealed Katie was lying (which made sense since Katie and the truth parted ways a long time ago).

Edited by Soaplovers
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
2 hours ago, vetsoapfan said:

 

Both Penny and Ellen returned for Nancy's 80th birthday celebration. Overwhelmed by all the irrelevant newbies stinking up the joint, LOL, Penny had the immortal line, "Who ARE all these people?"

 

Sad.  Maybe the writers themselves were self-aware of the schlock they were trotting out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
4 hours ago, vetsoapfan said:

 

Both Penny and Ellen returned for Nancy's 80th birthday celebration. Overwhelmed by all the irrelevant newbies stinking up the joint, LOL, Penny had the immortal line, "Who ARE all these people?"

 

Penny also briefly returned at Christmas 2000. After that Goutman stopped caring about the past, other than to take a dump on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
7 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

 

Sad.  Maybe the writers themselves were self-aware of the schlock they were trotting out.

 

I think Lorraine Broderick was writing the show at the time. She was not a good fit for this show at all, but at least she was...less bad than many who came after her.

 

5 hours ago, DRW50 said:

 

Penny also briefly returned at Christmas 2000. After that Goutman stopped caring about the past, other than to take a dump on it.

 

Yep.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
15 hours ago, Khan said:

 

I think Rosemary Prinz did put in at least one appearance post-Marland.  I can't recall the specifics -- something to do w/ a boat that sunk? -- but I do recall her watching all the drama surrounding Molly, David Stenbeck and others unfold and remarking, "Who ARE these people?".

 

She said that during the Christmas show in 2000. I have that on tape somewhere. They were in a restaurant. I guess they had already done away with Bob and Kim’s house by then. It was the same episode where Lyla made her appearance. Seemed to be the last nod to the past. That may have been Penny’s last appearance unless Nancy’s birthday party came after that. I’m not sure when Nancy’s 80th was. I missed that when it was on originally and it strangely never appears on YouTube or in soap trading circles. I’m thinking that episode was late 90s? Ellen’s last appearance was Thanksgiving 1998 so, if she came to Nancy’s birthday party, I’m guessing it was mid-90s. 

Edited by BillBauer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
7 hours ago, BillBauer said:

 

She said that during the Christmas show in 2000. I have that on tape somewhere. They were in a restaurant. I guess they had already done away with Bob and Kim’s house by then. It was the same episode where Lyla made her appearance. Seemed to be the last nod to the past. That may have been Penny’s last appearance unless Nancy’s birthday party came after that. I’m not sure when Nancy’s 80th was. I missed that when it was on originally and it strangely never appears on YouTube or in soap trading circles. I’m thinking that episode was late 90s? Ellen’s last appearance was Thanksgiving 1998 so, if she came to Nancy’s birthday party, I’m guessing it was mid-90s. 

Penny made that statement in 1998 at Nancy’s party set on the Valetta, which sank around August. Ellen was present. The episodes in whole or part are definitely on YouTube. This was also.when Kirk and Sam disappeared.

 

Penny did return in 2000 for a Christmas dinner at the Mona Lisa. Bob, Kim, Lisa, Nancy, and Chris were present. This may have been the final or one of the final times we saw the Mona Lisa set. Bob and Kim’s home was still intact gor several more years and used frequently during Allison/Chris’s storylines and many times that Bob/Kim were shown in general.  It was also used as a set when Colleen Zenk did commercials for Tyson Chicken as Barbara. We would see the kitchen until around late 2005. After that, elements of Bob and Kim’s kitchen became part of Katie’s WOAK set. We would not see Bob and Kim’s living room after 1999, I believe. Even then, its angles had shifted and it had been rearranged, sliced down to a couch in front of a window with a simple foyer (no step or staircase). 

Edited by Eboneece
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 hour ago, Soaplovers said:

And yet that ugly snyder set survived yo the end.

And even that one shrank significantly around 2008 (and probably gradually even before then). During that time, ATWT went to permanent standing sets. To accommodate that, sets either disappeared (Lily’s real mansion, the Stewart home) or became visibly smaller (Carjack’s house, Oakdale Memorial, the police station, Al’s, Fashions, the Lakeview, Tom and Margo’s house, Metro).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
7 hours ago, Eboneece said:

Penny made that statement in 1998 at Nancy’s party set on the Valetta, which sank around August. Ellen was present. The episodes in whole or part are definitely on YouTube. This was also.when Kirk and Sam disappeared.

 

Penny did return in 2000 for a Christmas dinner at the Mona Lisa. Bob, Kim, Lisa, Nancy, and Chris were present. This may have been the final or one of the final times we saw the Mona Lisa set. Bob and Kim’s home was still intact gor several more years and used frequently during Allison/Chris’s storylines and many times that Bob/Kim were shown in general.  It was also used as a set when Colleen Zenk did commercials for Tyson Chicken as Barbara. We would see the kitchen until around late 2005. After that, elements of Bob and Kim’s kitchen became part of Katie’s WOAK set. We would not see Bob and Kim’s living room after 1999, I believe. Even then, its angles had shifted and it had been rearranged, sliced down to a couch in front of a window with a simple foyer (no step or staircase). 

 

Thank you for the dates! I can look for it more easily now. I guess I did see it at some time or another because I clearly remember Penny saying that line but thought I hadn’t seen the birthday party. I thought it was the Christmas episode I have. Thanks for the info!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
On 3/10/2019 at 8:58 AM, Paul Raven said:

Ep #3944

Airing Monday June 28 1971

 

CAST

Penny

Bob

Chris

Simon

Pete

Meredith

Tom

 

SETS

Hughes Living Room

Hughes Kitchen

Gilby suite

Meredith's Room

 

WRITERS

Winifred Wolfe

Warren Swanson

 

Ep#3947

Taped Wed June 30 1971*

Aired Thurs July 1 1971*

For unknown reasons this episode was taped Wed evening b/w 6.45-7.30 pm and aired the next day.

CAST

Chris

Judge Lowell

Simon

Lisa

Pete

Tom

 

SETS

Chris' Office

Lawyers Club

Simon's suite

Restaurant Dining Room

 

Ep #4007

Airing Thurs Sept 23 1971

CAST

Bob

Nancy

Tom

Chris

Bob

Simon

Meredith

Susan

Dr Foley (Chief technician)

David

Dan

Dr ?

 

SETS

Waiting Area - Hospital

Chris' room

Pathology Lab

Living quarters-bookstore

Phone Booth Hospital corridor

 

Writers

Warren Swanson

David Lesan

John Boruff

 

This is awesome! I'll be sure to add these to the Full Episode List. May I ask where you found this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Dana Delaney!

Please register in order to view this content

This episode was quite enjoyable, imo.  The cat and mouse interplay between John Dixon and James Stenbeck is very compelling.  It's nice to see Justin Deas (as Tom Hughes) give a performance that isn't hammy.  To see Margo arguing with Lyla and being very much invested in a relationship with James is quite interesting to see.

Those scenes between Brad and Eric Hollister were...uh, interesting.  I was mostly interested in their discussion about Hayley and it was kind of weird to see that Brad was thinking about the possibilities of a relationship with either Lisa or Dee Stewart, two very different women.

Also, I liked this actor who played Rick Ryan.  In the later iteration of Rick, the character was much more obvious as a menace, very oily but this Rick is a bit more complex, almost wears two faces, one that appears earnest but underneath, lies a mercenary.

I would love to see more episodes from these storylines.  The video quality is excellent too, I'm guessing it's from one of the SoapClassics collections.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Community Activity

    1. 746

      Love of Life Discussion Thread

    2. 274

      General Hospital September 2021 Discussion Thread

    3. 7,165

      Another World

    4. 7,165

      Another World

    5. 7,165

      Another World

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy