Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yes, she was. She was the worst Margo hands down. Margo became irrelevant when she took over the role. She became just a cop(and even that she didn't look like one) and some mystery character after that.

To match that ugly purse of hers....LOL

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

I wouldn't say he shouldn't have been on soaps.  I think he did a great job on AMC as Sam Brady, and he had terrific chemistry with Dorothy Lyman.  But, I also think you're right about him being no Tom Hughes.

In retrospect, I wonder whether she would have been more successful coming back as Dee Stewart, the role she had played at some point during the early-'70's.

Edited by Khan

• Members

My favorite Tom was Gregg Marx, although I also like Peter Galman's version a lot. Scott Holmes is a handsome man and a good actor, but the dry, tepid writing he was saddled with for years worked against him. HBS was by far my favorite Margo. MC was also good, but Smith was warmer and more mature and likeable. I never liked Dolan, either on ATWT or TGL. I found both her and GO'C to be cold and brittle and off-putting.

Kinkaid's casting as Tom Hughes was mind-boggling. He might have be acceptable as a minor, comic-relief character (as he was used on AMC), but he was simply not leading man material.

• Members

Some random ATWT thoughts/trivia came to mind recently.

Was ATWT/CBS soaps the only daytime dramas that used to do Labor Day weekend cliffhangers?  Maybe it began when CBS started pre-empting programming on the weekdays before Labor Day but that annual cliffhanger episode kept me hanging on. 

As big a tennis fan as I became, it was hard to wait for the next episode.  Those were some damn good cliffhangers and I miss seeing them, even though it meant an agonizing wait.  ATWT had some particularly memorable ones.  

Did anyone know that Kiertan Coan, who played Hal Munson's sister Claire teaches yoga to acting students?  I believe she also teaches at a private institute but here is her bio at the University at North Carolina School of the Arts.  

I always wished they had brought the actress back over the years.  It would have been great to see Claire interact with Will, Nicky and an older version of Adam and even Jennifer, in light of the conversation she and Barbara once had about the agony of Barbara having to be at Adam's christening and watching Hal and Margo take pictures with baby Adam.

Also, everyone talks about Craig whoring around but man, the more I watch the Snyders, the more convinced I am that it's really about their proclivities to 'partner swap' and share.  Leaving Craig aside...

• Caleb, Holden and Seth were all romantically involved with Angel.  Two of them were married to her!!  Craig couldn't even claim to have been married to two Snyder women. 
  • Caleb and Holden were both romantically involved with Lily.
  • Iva and Ellie, didn't stop at Craig, they were also romantically involved with Kirk., 
  • Not to mention (but I have to) Emma and Iva have John in common.

The Snyder clan sure wove a tangled romantic web.

One more thing-- I wonder if Cedering Fox, who played the 2nd Judith Clayton will be doing the voice-over announcements for the Academy Awards telecast.  Apparently, it's her voice that does those on-air announcements on a number of televised awards shows.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I still think this whole thing was a mistake, and the Iva/John relationship was a mistake in general. The Snyders were a very trashy family but when you have two relatively sheltered and reserved women also sharing a man that's when the family began to really head into overkill soap opera territory. 

That's good to know about the actress who played Hal's sister. I agree we should have seen her again. 

I know she probably wouldn't have done it but I would have enjoyed seeing Parker Posey pop up as Tess at the end. Maybe she could have jeered some personality back into Cady's Rosanna...

• Members

Good Lord, I forgot about that!  Julie and Holden had a whole baby together. SMH.

Of all the relationships, the Iva/John one had to be the relationship that I liked least.  It just didn't seem to suit Iva's character at all.  Or at least what we were all led to believe what Iva's character was all about.

I understand that that Lisa Brown was such a capable actress that writers believed Iva could shoulder any situation and storyline and still emerge as something of a heroine but her character was really never the same after this.  Then again, there were more than one storyline where you felt shouldn't have happened to Iva's character.

In a weird way, in retrospect, by putting Iva with John, a much older man, it almost felt like the writers were "grooming" Iva to be with an older man down the road, and putting Iva with Jason Benedict (at least he seemed/looked like an older man) seemed to solidify that objective, which was a disappointing outcome to me.

EDT:  I'm not even going to get into how Iva had been romantically involved (offscreen) with a Tad Channing who was in her age group, then suddenly switched to Larry Pine, an older actor, to play an older version of the character.

Yes, to Tess!! 

By that time, I'm not even sure the writers knew who Tess was and that she was Will and Adam's cousin but it would've been fun to have Parker Posey back, she'd light up her scenes with everyone with the possible exception of Paul (sadly) because I just could not imagine her in a scene with Roger Howarth's Paul and actually believing that those two ever got together.  I couldn't picture it.   If only ATWT had kept Scott Holroyd.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Iva seemed to lose so much spark in the early '90s and it seemed like she became a much older character. 

A great deal of the early Aaron story is fascinating to watch and it truly does test so many bonds - it also drives a stake through the heart of the Lily/Iva relationship in the most brilliant way - but I feel like if they wanted to give Iva a baby to somehow "make up" for her losing Aaron, it should have been from Kirk or from a brief fling with a guest character. 

The wrapup of the story, with Holden getting Aaron back and clearly not even wanting to raise him, is what always upset me most. It really, really pissed me off at the time and it made me loathe the character for years.

• Members

A brief fling with Kirk would've offered a lot of possibilities because, at some level, Iva had become convinced that she and Kirk wouldn't 'work' and then, add the fact that he'd been married to her sister Ellie (which never should've happened but anyway) but that would've presented a conflict for Iva.  Also, what would it have meant to Iva to be pregnant by a man who had all but completely abandoned his first two children in their early years?  I would've liked to see that storyline.

So, I'm still thinking of all those excellent pre-Labor Day weekend episodes during the 1980s and wishing they were all uploaded to You Tube.

Didn't Kim Hughes literally go into labor during one of the Labor Day weekend cliffhangers?  Was that episode ever repeated on TV (e.g. during those re-airing of Soap Classics during the holidays?).  I feel like I've never seen it since it first aired and such good episode(s) too.

Was CBS the only network that did this (due to U.S. Open pre-emptions)?  ATWT seemed to be the best at providing a great pre-Labor Day cliffhanger.

Also, during a different year, Paul shot his father James Stenbeck after he attacked Emily during one of those Labor Day cliffhangers.