Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I was gonna bring up Doug Wert. (My inner Trekker will always respect Wesley Crusher's dad...but...yeah, he's not exactly on any short list of a gotta get actor...lol) But, in his defense, I believe there were two other temp fill ins, (one of whom was Christopher Cass, iirc).  I think as it all hit the fan about Breen's HIV, P&G decided it was too hot to handle, and dumped the character. (Much like they were doing or about to do with Zaslow on GL)

I forget exactly when this all happened, but as Wert was in the Carly/Mike/Ro story, that was 95-96, during Maura's first stint. ATWT was still in many ways in free fall after Marland's death. 

I do think that when Perry made her first return (Carly confronted her while pregnant with Parker in Vegas) some brief mention of Scott was made, but when McClain assumed the role, very little of Ro's past was specifically brought up. 

• Members

Jeffrey Meek?  Maybe (even though, I'd known him from SFT and "Raven" and couldn't stand him on either show).  Hunt Block?  No (and that's because I still remembered him from KNOTS LANDING).

It might've seemed weird to have him play ANOTHER lawyer named Scott, but I think Kin Shriner would have been another suitable replacement for Joseph Breen.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Doug Wert is one of those actors who was great in musical theater, but it never translated onto the screen (Rex Smith, Matt Morrison, and Burke Moses also come to mind).  The East Coast soaps were famous for casting from Broadway, but some stage actors seem odd within the context of a soap.   He is Kate Shindle's partner, I've heard them sing together, and it was lovely.  However, the only thing that I ever remember of his characters was his odd devotion to bangs way beyond the point that they were age-appropriate.

If he had been cast earlier as a romantic teen, I think it would have been a better fit with his set of skills.  A cunning guy who may or may not be a con artist but is still charming and attractive is difficult to play on tv versus the stage.  For example, watch Grand Hotel the Musical on YT, and see Brent Barrett on stage and then watch him on AMC.  His style is too big for tv, even the soaps, and it seems campy.  While on stage he was sexy and sophisticated.  

• Members

Joe Breen was on from 91-93 (or 92-93). Christopher Cass filled in during early 1993. Breen returned to wrap up the story until about spring 1993 I think. Then a year later the "search for Scott" story began that was used to reunite Duncan and Shannon. Then around summer 1995, Scott came to town. wooing his old love/con artist pal Sam. This was Laurie Caso's idea, presumably, as he had apparently planned to kill Kirk and keep him dead. Valente brought Kirk back, so Scott was moved toward Carly and Rosanna and Mike. Then he and Rosanna were written out in spring 1996. 

(I still remember how hilarious the Rosanna gambling addiction scenes were...)

• Members

LOL...I recollect nothing about a search for Scott. And I only really remember Scott got caught up with Carly/Mike/Ro because in the 40th anniversary montage, Carly is seen threatening Scott. 

I looked it up, and Wert is like 3 years younger than Breen, but he looked younger than that. Wert just seems to be an odd choice, but them again, ATWT casting was plain not good at the time. 

• Members

It was mostly some filler in summer 1994. Lisa was worried about Scott or heard he was in trouble. She went to Mexico with Shannon and Duncan, looking for a statue that was supposed to help him with a money crisis or something (I don't really remember). Lisa went back home early and Duncan and Shannon had an adventure and got back together (briefly, anyway). I think they found out that Scott had already left again (he was never shown oncamera).

I mainly remember what I do remember because SOD named it as one of the worst stories of the year.