Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I don't have time to check the actual scrapbook at the moment, but luckily I made some notes on my computer.

Diane Steiner was Bob's patient. She has some sort of severe illness (sorry, my notes aren't specific enough about that) and Bob saved her life, against her parents' wishes. I guess the parents were very religious or something, so they didn't want their daughter to be revived. This led to a lawsuit against Bob. Mr. Steiner (who was played by Dan Frazer, who would go on to play Dan "Mac" McClosky) also had an elderly mother (referred to as Mother Steiner in the Scrapbook) who was Michael Shea's patient and who died in his care. If I recall correctly (but I can't find this in my notes), I think Mother Steiner died because Michael was forced to take care of Claire after one of her drunken nights. 

Mrs. Steiner was played by Margaret Hayes. Mother Steiner was played by Dorit Kelton. The scrapbook doesn't list Diane Steiner in the cast list.

Hope this helps.

• Members

Patricia Bruder was one of the worst victims of SORAS fallout - her son Dan was a medical student eight years after his birth in 1958, and was married with children by 1970. Ellen had been Penny Hughes' best friend, and thus was originally one of the younger generation, but by the 70s Ellen and David were essentially moved into Nancy and Chris's generation. Bruder was "aged" through makeup and wardrobe, and was apparently pretty unhappy about it.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by BuckyB12

• Members

The rapid aging on ATWT in those years was such a mess - when they were talking about Tom being a 15 year old I remembered that he should only be about 6 years old. And a few years later he was around 19 or 20, scarred by Vietnam experiences. 

They seemed to course-correct by the end of the '70s (killing off Dan, and freezing Tom at the same age for a decade). 

GL seemed to pump the brakes on their rapid aging a little after Mike and Ed.  

• Members

It sounds like a lot of you did not enjoy the Scott Eldridge story.  I thought Marland told a great story for Lisa by using a gap in time where she was off screen.  He really mined As the World Turns' history.  

Edited by Efulton

• Members

I tend to blame the ultimate failure of that character not on replacing Joe Breen, but on replacing him with Doug Wert.  As a character, Scott might have survived Marland's death and the inevitable change in his direction, but replacing Breen with a weak actor like Wert guaranteed Scott would not be long for Oakdale.  (I can't recall who was and wasn't available at that time, but I would've replaced Breen with someone like James DePaiva (ex-Max, OLTL).)

Moreover, haven't I read somewhere that Scott eventually left town with Rosanna?  Yet, when Rosanna returned, I don't think we heard one word of what had happened between her and Scott.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I didn't really have a big problem with Doug Wert, I thought he was cute and a bit charming, but the character bore no resemblance to the more layered man Breen had played and they did nothing with his relationships with Tom and Lisa for a lot of his return. And they pretty much just threw in the towel, as Valente did with so many characters. I feel more time was spent on Lisa searching for Scott than on the amount of time Wert was actually on the show....