As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Still in '88 and some really intriguing trivia when it comes to those minor characters (again). 

• Ira Hawkins, the actor who played Dr. Hartley, who declared Tonio Reyes impotent/infertile (and therefore, incapable of fathering Meg's baby) has a prolific career as a character actor onscreen (part of the Law & Order universe) and onstage.  
  • Brooke Stacey Mills, who played Carrie Sturgess, Andy Dixon's romantic interest for all of a minute and Lien Hughes' fellow classmate, apparently also played a character named Carrie Sturgess in a 2011 short film called...wait for it...The World Turns!  Why let a good character name go to waste, I guess. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Vyto Ruginis who played Lien Hughes' racist history teacher Mr. Patelli, has an extensive career as an actor and producer, with films like Moneyball and The Fast and the Furious

Also, it seems like  any episode from 1988 would be very tough to digitize for sale due to the extensive use of popular music.

Every scene that takes place in the Cellar (was this club owned by just Lisa Mitchell or was it jointly owned by Craig Montgomery and Lisa, as part of the Mona Lisa?) uses songs that feature heavily in the Billboard Top 40 and there are many!

In previous years, there might be one or two popular (recognizable, anyway) songs per year that often get repeated over and over-- less than five, really, but in '88, there are about well over a dozen that get used in such a short period of time. 

It seems as if it would be overwhelming to try to scrub those scenes of popular music without a team of people working on it.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Replies 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The WGA Strike of 1988 began in March, the Laura storyline was wrapped up by May.  It needed to end at that point but it seemed as if most of the Hughes, except Tom and Margo, were less visible until Nancy and Mac's wedding in the Fall.  Margo's scenes in Greece seemed very repetitive, heavy laden-with flashbacks and that same "If You Say My Eyes Are Beautiful" song playing ad nauseum.  

The downside of having less Hughes was that it seemed like a Snyders overload.  Caleb came right on the heels of Dusty's exit (I mean, like, the very same episode that Dusty left, Caleb walks on after).  Lily had no breathing room before she was a Babe in Boyland.  And it was ridiculous the way, Spence, Beau and Lily's daddy Rod were fussing over Lily's every move.  It was overkill!

Perhaps it might be because there were episodes missing on You Tube, it gave the impression of wildly uneven storytelling but so much of the episodes seemed like filler, riddled with all those flashbacks.

The episodes with some of the most fun scenes between Kirk and Iva seem to be missing from You Tube unfortunately.

It's also too bad that many of the juicier episodes having to do with Emily and Tonio facing a reckoning for their affair and the fallout down the line between Craig and Emily (there is one episode posted where Craig and Emily have a confrontation and end their fling after Craig finds out) are not on You Tube.   I thought the affair and the shifting business alliances between Holden, Emily, Tonio and Craig were probably the most compelling, least repetitive/reductive material presented during the WGA strike and some of the most exciting scenes/episodes are missing.

The WGA strike ended by August.  Early September got more interesting with Margo delivering Adam in time for Tom to witness the whole truth and by the end of September, the tone of the episodes seemed to shift.

The relief came when Lilith emerged in early October and then Mac and Nancy's wedding.  We still saw the Snyders but at least, the obsession over Lily's virtue faded.  The cast was mostly back on canvas (not in fake Greece or fake Edinburgh, Germany, England or whatever other fake European cities served as destinations) and the storytelling no longer seemed to carry a disjointed quality.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Scott Bryce would have NEVER!  In fact, TIIC probably would've had to fire him instead.  I'm eternally glad that I missed that entire storyline and it's one I never intend to visit.

I just got finished watching The Road Red on Netflix (which originally aired on Sundance TV)  with Jason Momoa and Tamara Tunie and Tunie is so very good...consistently great, in this series, which makes it all the more inexcusable that her character Jessica Griffin was so underutilized, especially the last several years of her run on ATWT.

• Members

Sigh, I'm still pissed HB's Craig had completely ruined his relationship with Bryant. He raised Bryant by himself for YEARS while Sierra was running around a revolution being declared dead every couple of months. 

And the ONE scene I got between Scott and Maura set up a whole new dynamic between Craig and Carly as bitter rivals. I WEEP that that's the one time Carly had a Craig-free life. 

I couldn't stand Bonnie,  but I thought Issac was hot. Maybe Paul Taylor wanted to leave, but they should've offered him at least a slice of the moon for him to stay. I thought he had chem with both Lesli Kay and KMH. 

• Members

I loved Paul Taylor. I agree he had great chemistry with them. I feel like Hogan's tenure was a lot of misses. Potential at times, but the ball got dropped and some of the casting decisions were head scratching. I blame Goutman for most of it. Just a terrible producer.

I wasn't the biggest Bonnie fan but I kind of liked the actress at the time and it just seemed dumb to dump both of them. (And the recast was filler most of the time; zzzz)

But Goutman was a moron so ... just makes me angry. ATWT had so much potential over the years and it was just squandered by that man and poor writing.

Wouldn't surprise me. Goutman's always felt petty to me.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I remember the Scotland storyline was not well-received, but that really wasn't the actors' fault. I remember that Bonnie was recast later on, but I can't for the life of me remember a thing about the recast. They did that way too much in the last decade.

• Members

The Scotland crap was sort of in the original vein of Duncan's stories under Marland, just way WAY stupider. 

I don't think recast Bonnie did much. Dusty romanced her, they teased something with Holden (before the awful Carly/Holden affair) and she had something going with one of James' henchmen, (who I think turned out to be Jade's father). But they must've cut her loose in late '08 or so.