Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Prinz felt confined and trapped on ATWT, and ended up loathing her job. When she quit in 1968, she vowed that the only way she would ever go back was if her father were in a Nazi death camp, and she had to return to the show in order to free him. Pretty harsh.

Years later, she softened a bit and admitted in the press that she cared about her fellow actors, and that Penny Hughes had been a warm, good human being.

I was shocked, but thrilled, to see that by the mid 1980s, she had lost the animosity against the show and agreed to appear from time to time. I adored Penny. I wanted her to return for the series' final weeks. Her presence would have been a poignant way send off to the long-running show; much more important than having Katie, Janet, and all the other abrasive/unimportant newbies parading across our screens, wasting time. With Helen Wagner gone, Prinz was the show's only living original cast member. I would have liked for her to be the one to utter the show's final words to Dr. Bob, "Good night, dear."

• Members

Bringing back John Dixon at the end was a nice touch, but both Penny and Ellen Stewart should have been there as well. And Goutman needed to put his hubris aside and have Martha Byrne play Lilly in the final episodes. (I was never a Lilly/Byrne fan, per se, but it was the right thing to do for the fans.)

Even if she might have declined, TPTB should have at least asked Prinz to appear at Grandpa Hughes' funeral. It was uncomfortable not having either Penny or Irma Kopecke there. Dr. Bon acknowledged that Irma was off grieving with her own family, but I do not recall is Penny's absence was explained.

• Members

Thanks. I wish I could see this story. I've seen so little of Grandpa Hughes. What I've seen is a good contrast to Nancy, and he had a nice, warm scene with Tom as a boy. That's about it. I remember Marlena de la Croix calling him a bore in her SPW column and getting a negative response. 

Compared to the other P&G soaps ATWT seemed more willing to let their older widowed characters find love again. 

• Members

Grandpa Hughes a bore????

Pffft!!!! Drop dead, MdeL!

I loved Grandpa Hughes. And Judge Lowell too, for that matter. 

I would say they started referring to Grandpa having a lady friend in 1975, maybe 1974. It would only get the occasional mention at first, but enough so that we, the audience, knew what was coming.

We never actually saw Irma. She was always upstairs or in the other room or "coming shortly." It got to be aggravating, because I wanted to SEE the woman who had captured Grandpa's heart. I wanted to check her out for myself, before I decided if she was good enough for him. But the Hughes family never criticized her, so I had to accept their positive assessment. Grandpa and Irma were not married very long before we heard about his death. The scene that makes me tear up to this day was when Chris told Nancy about his dad's passing. He thanked her profusely for being so kind to Grandpa "all these years," and Nancy replied simply, "Of course, dear. You see, he was MY father too."

I sobbed for 30 minutes, LOL.

I adored those vintage characters and relationships!

• Members

We should also mention that Prinz was on RYAN'S HOPE during its' final year, portraying Sister Mary Joel, who, if I'm not mistaken, turned out to be Jack Fenelli's biological mother (after being his sort of guardian/godmother figure throughout his life).

• Members

That would've been lovely. 

I've thought that, in my wildest writing fantasies, if ever I had the chance to refashion a 2.0 of ATWT, even briefly...I'd open with Kim saying "Good morning dear", to her granddaughter, (Oakdale Memorial hospital's newest resident) Dr. Hope Dixon. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Feel free to share your wildest writing fantasies sometime in public or private. I'm always curious to see how people would revive these shows, even ATWT which is one of the furthest from my mind given how decayed it sadly became. (I have a silly idea for an AMC/OLTL 2.0-style GL revival floating way back in the board archives from the heady days of 2013...)

Edited by Vee

• Members

Thanks Vee.

If the time or inclination gets me, I may try another blog post of mini-script as I did with a proposed storyline for Y&R.  Hopefully with less technical glitches next time, lol.  

If I do, I'd definitely snuff out a significant block of those final years, lol.