edgeofnik

As The World Turns Discussion Thread

Just discovered that Leon Janney's character of Major Page was head of a children's military academy.

I assume this was the school little Tommy Hughes was sent to by Lisa. This was in early 1964, as Janney played the role for two months before being quickly moved over to Another World to take over the role of Jim Matthews when the original actor was dropped after a few episodes.

From Slick Jones' List:

Amy Lin Hughes     Irene Yaah-Ling Sun      73-74    adopted by Penny and Anton; real grandparents were Mr. and Mrs. Parsons       see Hoppers

Una Kim             86

This has actually been bothering me for some time. I wonder if someone who was watching in the 70s could help me out.

So I've always understood Amy to have been adopted by Penny and Anton, as Slick wrote. Penny moved to England where she (offscreen) married Anton and they adopted Amy. Neither Anton, nor Amy was seen at that time.  Amy was first seen when she came to live with the Hugheses (and reconnected with the Parsons') in Oakdale in 73-74. Anton was first seen when Frannie went to stay with Penny in London in 1986-1987. This is also when the Amy recast (Una Kim) was brought on. So far so good.

But if Amy was adopted by Penny and Anton... this being the 70s and naming traditions being what they were back then... Wouldn't she have been named Amy Lin Cunningham? Yet the scrapbook (and several other places, I believe) list her as Amy Lin Hughes. I actually started wondering if Penny had adopted Amy prior to marrying Anton... like possibly when she was still in Oakdale/on screen? In which case it would make sense that she took Penny's name and hung onto it even after Penny got married. 

But maybe I'm reading too much into the whole thing. 😅 

4 hours ago, Brolden said:

From Slick Jones' List:

Amy Lin Hughes     Irene Yaah-Ling Sun      73-74    adopted by Penny and Anton; real grandparents were Mr. and Mrs. Parsons       see Hoppers

Una Kim             86

This has actually been bothering me for some time. I wonder if someone who was watching in the 70s could help me out.

So I've always understood Amy to have been adopted by Penny and Anton, as Slick wrote. Penny moved to England where she (offscreen) married Anton and they adopted Amy. Neither Anton, nor Amy was seen at that time.  Amy was first seen when she came to live with the Hugheses (and reconnected with the Parsons') in Oakdale in 73-74. Anton was first seen when Frannie went to stay with Penny in London in 1986-1987. This is also when the Amy recast (Una Kim) was brought on. So far so good.

But if Amy was adopted by Penny and Anton... this being the 70s and naming traditions being what they were back then... Wouldn't she have been named Amy Lin Cunningham? Yet the scrapbook (and several other places, I believe) list her as Amy Lin Hughes. I actually started wondering if Penny had adopted Amy prior to marrying Anton... like possibly when she was still in Oakdale/on screen? In which case it would make sense that she took Penny's name and hung onto it even after Penny got married. 

But maybe I'm reading too much into the whole thing. 😅 

No, Penny had not adopted Amy before she left Oakdale in 1968. Nor did she have Amy when she briefly returned to town in 1971. We know that Penny assumed Anton's name when she married him, because during Chris' and Nancy's 50th anniversary celebration, Frannie introduced her as Penny Cunningham, so Amy was not referred to as "Hughes" because Penny had kept her maiden name. Penny was a Cunningham too. I always assumed that TPTB had just used Hughes as Amy's family name to make her ties to the Oakdale branch of the family more obvious, whether it make factual sense or not. But maybe Penny had adopted Amy prior to her marriage to Anton in England, and given her the surname Hughes already, so that when Penny and Anton later wed and he adopted the girl too, Amy had already established herself as a Hughes and did not want to change her name again.

I know that little nitpicky questions like this can drive soap fans crazy, LOL. It happens to me all the time too. :)

16 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

None of the episodes uploaded to YouTube actually show Anton, although he has been mentioned a number of times.

I wish they were, after seeing Patrick Horgan on The Doctors, I enjoy seeing anything he appears in.

2 hours ago, slick jones said:

I wish they were, after seeing Patrick Horgan on The Doctors, I enjoy seeing anything he appears in.

Both Horgan and Rosemary Prinz could have made multiple appearances right up to the series finale.  Missed opportunities, for sure.

Some months ago, I was revisiting a classic ATWT from 1986 and saw a scene where Frannie Hughes and Casey Perretti were returning from a date and just as Casey was moving in to kiss Frannie a wail came from inside--it was from baby Christopher Hughes.  The crying disrupted the moment.  

In a half-joking, half-complaining tone, Casey laments the unfortunate timing of "Vinne Boombatz". :lol:

I had no idea what Casey was referring to so I began to try to find out.  Initially, I had misspelled the name and got no answers and forgot all about it.  Today, something jarred my memory and I decided to search again and for some reason, I found who I think Casey was referring to.

Apparently, there's a fake death hoax on Twitter involving actress and composer Billie Eilish, who is the daughter of Maggie Baird, who played Dr.Taylor Baldwin, briefly an antagonist toward Lyla and Casey Peretti and Tom and Margo Hughes.