As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Wow, thanks for that info. Glad you're feeling better.

I certainly don't want to hold up your activities in the cast list and soap hopper departments, but down the line, I'd be downright fascinated to see more of these family trees listed in that treasure trove of a notebook of yours. 

Please register in order to view this content

It always seems odd to me that by 1991-1992, while Marland was still at the helm, there was such an influx of newbies. If you read the scrapbook, there are so many new names around this time, both surrounding the Crawford mystery as well as at the Snyder farm, it's just hard to follow along at times. Especially since many of those characters never appeared again after their initial stint. I wonder what it was like at the time. I've always pictured the show going downhill after Marland's death, but it seems like this couldn't have been an easy period to watch. 

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

James Karen had such an impressive body of work (his final project is still in production), I'm pretty sure everyone on this board knows him from somewhere. I remember him from an episode of The Golden Girls and who can forget his turn as the racist man who George saves on The Jeffersons??

His time on ATWT was before I was born but it sure would be nice is there was a clip out there somewhere that could be uploaded to YouTube by someone.  CBS, remarkably produced a bunch of pristine clips of classic ATWT before the show was cancelled and I see some rare episodes from the 60s up there, so I hope one of him on this show can be found...somehow.

As a child, growing up in the NYC tri-state area, I also remember him as Mr. Pathmark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcIrNPcknpk

Don't these YouTube videos embed anymore?

• Members

x7zsy2H.jpg?1

JAMES KAREN 

LOVE OF LIFE     Clerk of the Barrowsville Hotel    1950s

AS THE WORLD TURNS           Dr. Fred Burke       1967-70

ALL MY CHILDREN       Lincoln "Linc" Tyler    1970

THE BEST OF EVERYTHING      Fred Shalimar      1970

LOVE OF LIFE            Parson    1971

EXECUTIVE SUITE          Carson       1976

KNOTS LANDING         Max Craig     1982

DALLAS           Elton Lawrence        1982-83

EMERALD POINT, N.A.S        Admiral Lovell     1983;1984

DYNASTY         Avril Dawson               1984

CLASS OF 96       Professor   Drake           1993

MELROSE PLACE     Judge Mike Thomas        1994

SISTERS             Judge             1996

BEVERLY HILLS 90210         Minister          1998

not soaps but.....

THE WALTONS         Martin Walters       1975

FAMILY                      Dr. Addison       1977

EIGHT IS ENOUGH       Elliott Randolph        1977-81   occasional

THE POWERS OF MATTHEW STAR       Major Wymore    1983

NED AND STACEY   Patrick Kirkland        1996-97; 1999

Rest in Peace to a fine actor.

@P.J. does this help?

• Members

That's the one. Fred and Julia Burke were Susan's parents. 

Having only watched the show from 2000 onwards (an era in which Susan herself was unfortunately barely seen, apart from 2004), it's fascinating to me that she has parents. I mean, obviously she has parents, but I just can't picture Susan as a girl being told off by her father or her mother. 

If only I could see some of those episodes.

Does anyone here know, since there were several actresses to play the role before Marie Masters, if Fred and Julia were still around by the time Masters took on the role?

• Members

YES!! I understand completely. As someone who grew up with the show always on, and who thought she had a good understanding of history, sometimes little nuggets blow my mind. (Like Bob being Nancy's youngest child, as my memories only begin in the 70's, when Penny was already gone and Don is just kinda a vague picture in a book)

BTW, I checked the book, and Susan's mother is around until 1975. My guess would be Fred died. But I never recall Susan ever bringing up her mother. 

• Members

I know that some people don't like too many Snyders in their ATWT but the use of music in this episode is exquisite.  I wish the condition of this video were better (hello, wavy heads!) but at least it's watchable, lol.

The fact that there are no commercials in this episode really serves to highlight how seamless the transitions between scenes truly is.  The friendship between Margo and Shannon was truly underrated, rarely duplicated in the years that followed and I owe that dynamic to HBS and MR.  That scene of Margo in bed plaintive and weeping is one of the best scenes illustrating loneliness that I've seen on a daytime soap.  Then the contrast to the next day of Margo trying to minimize the effects, particularly in her scenes with Frannie and Shannon make it all the more effective.  Even her scene with her nephew Bryant were pretty poignant (when soaps could afford baby actors and not dolls, lol).

I don't know why Roy and Duncan's bickering scene make me laugh ("Oh no, you're right, it was obviously Little Orphan Annie!").  Roy and Duncan were obviously set up to be antagonists to each other early on (later on, they'd be rivals, of course).  This Charles, who works for Duncan has a horrible Scott brogue. 

I wish there were more episodes from May 1987, tensions were building all around.  That final scene were exes collide, the exchange of glances was highly intriguing.  And again, as in the rest of this episode, the music was such a mood.  The previous episode was good too.