Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Bryce was eye candy, not the model type.. but a realistically handsome guy.  My late mom was still watching the soap (though she struggled during the 2000s).. and she was happy that Bryce was resuming the part.  And she went on message boards/forums back than and the veteran viewers were excited he was back, while new viewers were not sure what to make of him.  Yet, by the time he was let go by Goutman (and didn't Bryce even hint that Goutman didn't understand the Craig character).. those same viewers had been won over and even admitted that they now understood why viewers loved Bryce.

• Members

There was an interview after ATWT was canceled where Bryce said that he got the feeling that his questions about the character were not welcome by Goutman but he genuinely did not understand how the character had reached this place that Craig was currently in.  It just didn't make sense to him.  I don't think his questions about character trajectory were ever answered.

Just on a purely superficial note, ATWT in the '80s was on trend for better (and sometimes for worse) but they usually got it very right when they outfitted the Craig character in those tailored suits, personified the "sharp-dressed man" that ZZ Top sang about.

• Members

I see what he means about villainy because during Craig's first stint there were distinctions between kinds of evil; there were serial killers/drug runners and there were people who faked their pregnancy/paralysis to try to keep a relationship going.

When I think of Craig I always associate him with apex of yuppidom in that he craved approval in the form of wealth.  He wanted Whit to think that he was better than Steve.  He wanted to stay with Betsy because divorce wouldn't look good and he wanted a two-story house in the suburbs.  To bring Craig back (played by whomever) and not utilize the same dynamic was my disappointment with the character.

There were multiple Craig-bots; yuppy business guys, unabashedly ambitious.  One could say Scott Eldridge was a good Craig replacement as a casual neer-do-well, Neal Alcott played a similar role (before he turned - I'm still undecided on that plot), Brock Lombard, even first-grown-Paul seemed like an attempt to fill that hole.  However, once it was filled Craig just grew into a very unpleasant and non-redemptive character. 

I'm not a fan of returns but I think Ariel Dixon was an under appreciated character who deserved further exploration later; given her familial ties.

• Members

Question: Was John and Lucinda's Las Vegas wedding televised? 

I have no recollection of the actual nuptials, just the bathtub scene and then the following week, Lucinda descends the stairs at John's penthouse and announces to Emma Snyder that she was the honorable Mrs. John Dixon.

I know there are many missing episodes that don't appear on You Tube, so I was wondering whether anyone remembers whether scenes from the Vegas elopement actually appeared on the show.

• Members

Does anyone recall Zsa Zsa Gabor's very brief guest stint on the show in 1981? I read she was on for about ten episodes and played the sister of Miranda Marlowe. The only picture from her stint I've seen is one with her and Anthony Herrera, so I'm assuming they shared scenes.

I'm curious what her character actually did.

• Members

I agree, we never saw the wedding which is why the announcement was such a shock.

Isn't silly that they broke up over Duke? He left and never returned, but they never got back together.  There are a couple of older couples of the era who broke up because the wife was "interfering" in their children's love lives.  However, just as often, those kids moved on, or broke up, and the reason the couple broke up is no longer a valid concern.

It seems like Lucinda was difficult to write.  She was a bitch with vulnerability and that balance was hard for some writers.  At her worse, she was either too mean, or her evil plans were too big, or she was too silly and more concerned with her daughter's happiness than running a multi-national conglomerate.  Her sensuality was completely lost as she aged and she was far too easily conned by men who would have been her toys when she first came to Oakdale.

• Members

This makes me wonder what the writer's room looked like as the character/actress aged.  What was the balance of writers in Lucinda's age group writing story for Lucinda, particularly after Marland passed?

Representation matters, although, sadly, you do have some women who write highly misogynistic stories, too concerned with not being seen as showing too much solidarity with their female characters.

• Members

A "reaction video" is a video in which a fan of a TV series or movie sets up a camera to film himself watching the show or film in question. For example, many youtube fans of Glee did this when Cory Monteith passed away. The show aired an episode called "The Quarterback" which dealt with the death of Finn Hudson, Monteith's on-screen Glee character. Youtubers filmed themselves sitting on the couch in front of the TV, sobbing their way through the episode and discussing their own personal feelings about the storyline, Cory Monteith, and Finn's passing away. Many folks also made "reaction videos" to a short film called "In a Heartbeat," about a gay child experiencing his first crush. Youtubers videotaped themselves reacting to the film (usually bawling their eyes out) and commenting on their thoughts while watching it.

I personally don't "get" the point of filming yourself watching TV, but to each his own.

• Members

Thanks for clarifying that @vetsoapfan and @Bright Eyes.  I've seen screencaps of these types of videos but have never watched one.

I don't see the point either, even less so for storylines that happened decades ago.  Perhaps if there were a group chat feature where some type of discussion took place.  Even then, I'm not one for discussion until after I've watched the program.

The reaction video would be a pass for me.