Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

A few pages back we were talking about when Lisa and Barbara partnered for Fashions and when Barbara had Simply Barbara vs. Barbara Ryan Originals.  

I came across this episode from 1982 and Lisa answers the phone as 'Fashions Limited'.  It looks like Dee and Ariel worked there.  I'm not sure if Barbara was even involved in the boutique yet, she was too busy being involved in that convoluted story where she kept having visions of the man who would turn out to be Gunnar.  She does look beautiful here though.  Someone put a LOT of makeup on Ariel!

EDT:  Okay Barbara was involved, maybe she was partners with Lisa back then but she seems fairly removed from the day to day in this episode.  You have to excuse me, I was only in the 2nd grade when this episode came out so, I only have vague memories of some of these characters.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

From the episodes in 1982, I decided to look up the names of writing staff that were unfamiliar to me and came across a name-- Jean Rouverol.  Doing a quick search I see that she died just last year at the age of 100.

As an actress, she had just started her career as a screenwriter when she was blacklisted.  She had quite an interesting biography.

Has she been mentioned in any threads before?  She wrote a book called Writing for the Soaps.  I did a quick search on this site but her name didn't come up.  Since she wrote a book on soaps, perhaps someone here has read it?

• Members

EVERYONE had shadows on their faces..Jeff got it the worst...it was like the light over his head went out.  For Bunim and the Dobs wanting to make the show "youthfull" it is incredibly slow, dark, and depressing...the scene with Dee and David, which should have been heartfelt came off an slow and ponderous...and then there is no follow up in the scenes at Fashion...(at least have Lisa say, "What's wrong" and when she finds out the Stewarts are divorcing have a bit of a smirk...(an ode to Elle and Lisa's fued.)  The scene of Annie and Jeff are supposed to be romantic comedy I think but it just is flat...

I do like the Lisa/Ariel scene...its like a Designing Women scene

Edited by Mitch

• Members

I was wondering if David was being played as having prodromal symptoms of his stroke because he cannot seem to recall his lines.

Why was Fashions having such a boost in their sales?  I laughed when Lisa answers the phone call from Vermont and asks if they want to pay by cash.  Who knew Fashions Lmt was the prototype for Fashion Nova?

• Members

Catalog sales, can you believe it??

I believe Dee mentioned this to Barbara when they met in this episode.  I guess they all put together a fancy photo spread done in a layout in a catalog and distributed to buyers and maybe the well-heeled.  Perahaps Lisa and Dee and Ariel were heralding the achievement of reaching customers well beyond Oakdale.

Come to think of it, it would have been interesting if Fashions and BRO did something to this effect with the Internet in the late 90s/early '00s.  Were there any scenes or storylines that dealt with the emergence of technology and its effect on businesses like Barbara's or Lisa's?  Or even Lucinda's? 

(I remember seeing Craig learning how to use a computer when he started working for Lucinda, that was around 1984 and it struck me as probably one of the earliest uses of a computer that I'd seen on a daytime soap).