As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Hmmm... that's interesting. I guess that makes sense, especially as soap fans became more vocal about not missing their stories. I guess it's similar to how the February 1, 1994 episode was re-broadcast the day after (as I mentioned in an earlier post), so those affected by the pre-emption wouldn't miss anything. I always assumed that back in the day, when soaps were pre-empted for live news, the episode was just 'lost' and it would pick up on the next episode the next day. Obviously this must have been the case for the live days (like the JFK pre-emption), but I'm not sure how they went about it when they started pre-recording. I was surprised to find out about the re-broadcast. 

Still, if you try to connect the episode numbers, it's obvious that both in 1987 (Iran-Contra hearings) and in 1994 (O.J.) there were more pre-emptions than in an average year, so I'm guessing a lot of it was still pre-empted.

Edited by Brolden

• Replies 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I was mentioning to a friend recently that Doug Marland created a character (a villain no less) with the same first name-- Doug Cummings. Have there been cases with other headwriters who created characters named after themselves? I don't think this happens/happened very often. I don't remember Claire Labine ever creating a character named Claire on any of her shows. Or Pam Long creating  a character named Pam or Pamela. I mean they could come on to a show and inherit a character created by a previous writer, with the character having their same first name. But besides the Marland/Cummings example has there ever been another headwriter who created a new character named after himself or herself?

• Members

18th era: August 2, 1984 - November 13, 1984

As specified in my last post, episode #7,377 aired on November 13, 1984.

According to the Corporate Archives in Cincinnati, OH (http://www.oocities.org/televisioncity/studio/5185/sources/vidsources.html), episode #7,307, aired on August 2, 1984.

Based on these episode numbers, 3 episodes must have been pre-empted in between these two dates. I have no verified pre-emptions, but I do have two contenders:

September 3, 1984: US Open?

September 7, 1984: US Open?

As always, any info on these dates will be much appreciated. Even if both of these are indeed correct, that still leaves 1 pre-emption unaccounted for.

Edited by Brolden

• Members

19th era: May 20, 1983 - August 2, 1984

As specified in my last post, episode #7,307 aired on August 2, 1984.

According to this timeline (http://www.oocities.org/televisioncity/studio/5185/dates.html

on the same page where I found all the archived episodes), episode #7,000 aired on May 20, 1983.

Based on these episode numbers, 7 episodes must have been pre-empted in between these two dates. I have no pre-emptions verified, but I do have four contenders:

September 5, 1983: US Open?

September 9, 1983: US Open?

November 24, 1983: Thanksgiving?

November 25, 1983: Thanksgiving?

As always, any info on these dates and more will be much appreciated!

• Members

20th era: October 29, 1982 - May 20, 1983

As specified in my last post, episode #7,000 aired on May 20, 1983.

According to the Jerome Lawrence & Robert E. Lee Theatre Research Institute at Ohio State University (http://www.oocities.org/televisioncity/studio/5185/sources/papsources.html), episode #6,857 aired on October 29, 1982.

Based on these episode numbers, 2 episodes must have been pre-empted in between these two dates. I have three contenders listed:

November 25, 1982: Thanksgiving?

November 26, 1982: Thanksgiving?

December 31, 1983: New Year's Eve?

I'm inclined to assume that it was probably the two Thanksgiving dates that were pre-empted here. If that's the case, then it's reasonable to assume that both Thanksgiving dates were pre-empted in 1983, 1984 and 1985 as well. However, as I stated before, Thanksgiving Friday definitely aired in 1979, and based on the episode numbers, I'm led to believe that episodes may have aired on BOTH Thanksgiving dates in 1980 (which we'll get to in a few posts). So, IF both episodes aired in 1980 and IF they were both pre-empted in 1982 (a lot of IFs), then the Thanksgiving policy must have changed in 1981 or 1982.

As always, any info will be much appreciated!

Edited by Brolden

• Members

21st era: October 6, 1982 - October 29, 1982

As specified in my last post, episode #6,857 aired on October 29, 1982. 

According to the Corporate Archives in Cincinnati, OH (http://www.oocities.org/televisioncity/studio/5185/sources/vidsources.html), episode #6,840 aired on October 6, 1982. 

These two episode numbers actually perfectly line up, which means that no episodes were pre-empted in between these two dates. 

• Members

22nd era: August 25, 1981 - October 6, 1982

As specified in my last post, episode #6,840 aired on October 6, 1982.

According to the Corporate Archives in Cincinnati, OH (http://www.oocities.org/televisioncity/studio/5185/sources/vidsources.html), episode #6,559 aired on August 25, 1981. 

Based on these episode numbers, 10 episodes must have been pre-empted in between these two dates. 

November 2, 1981 saw the debut of new theme music. According to the page on the show's theme music history from the same site where I got all the old archived episodes (http://www.oocities.org/televisioncity/studio/5185/music.html, under 'Theme #4: The World Turns On And On'), that episode was #6,606. However, in the section on the previous theme music, which was last heard the previous day on October 30, 1981 (under 'Theme #1: 'Theme for As The World Turns') it mentions the theme was heard "roughly the first 6605 episodes". Therefore, I'm not sure if I can count #6,605 (October 30, 1981) and #6,606 (November 2, 1981) as verified episode numbers. 

However, IF these two numbers are correct, there would need to have been 2 pre-emptions between August 25, 1981 and October 30, 1981. The only two contenders I have for these slots are:

September 9, 1981: US Open?

September 11, 1981: US Open?

IF these should be correct, it's reasonable to assume that the US Open pre-emptions for 1982, 1983, 1984 and 1985 are correct as well.

Following the above logic, we would need to find 8 pre-emptions between November 2, 1981 and October 6, 1982. I have seven contenders:

November 26, 1981: Thanksgiving?

November 27, 1981: Thanksgiving?

December 25, 1981: Christmas?

December 31, 1981: New Year's Eve?

January 1, 1982: New Year's Day?

September 6, 1982: US Open?

September 10, 1982: US Open?

IF the #6,605 and 6,606 episode numbers should not be correct, I simply have the above-listed nine contenders for the 10 pre-emptions between August 25, 1981 and October 6, 1982.

As always any info on these dates and more will be much appreciated!

• Members

23rd (and final) era: August 27, 1980 - August 25, 1981

Obviously, this is far from the "final" era, as ATWT debuted in 1956. However, this is the earliest "checkpoint" I have that I feel I may actually be able to make sense of. In the various pages I have listed as sources, there are actually a few more episode numbers from pre-1980. As I stated previously, I will be taking this project to a separate thread, where I hope to create a "full" (meaning: as full as possible) episode list for the show, keeping track of verified airings and pre-emptions, that can be updated if any lost episodes should re-surface online. I will list any pre-1980 episode numbers I know in that separate thread. So, for now, August 27, 1980 is as early as I'll go back.

As stated in my previous post, episode #6,559 aired on August 25, 1981.

According to the Corporate Archives in Cincinnati, OH (http://www.oocities.org/televisioncity/studio/5185/sources/vidsources.html), episode #6,300 aired on August 27, 1980.

These episode numbers actually line up perfectly, meaning no episodes would have been pre-empted in between these two dates. I must admit I'm a little suspicious of no episodes having been pre-empted in an entire year... This would mean both the US Open and the Thanksgiving pre-emptions started after 1980. But I do get the sense that there used to be far fewer pre-emptions before the 80's came along. So maybe it's right after all? Either way, these are the dates that I would have suspected could have been pre-empted, but apparently weren't (it would be great if we could verify these episodes as having aired, but since we're already in 1980, I won't get my hopes up):

September 1, 1980: US Open?

September 5, 1980: US Open?

November 27, 1980: Thanksgiving?

November 28, 1980: Thanksgiving?

December 25, 1980: Christmas?

December 31, 1980: New Year's Eve?

January 1, 1981: New Year's Day?

One other interesting tidbit from this era: 

The March 30, 1981 episode was partially pre-empted due to the Reagan shooting. I'm assuming, since it was a partial pre-emption, that it wasn't re-broadcast, and thus, for the purposes of this project, I count it as an airing. 

As always, any info on these dates and more will be much appreciated!

Edited by Brolden

• Members

Still watching 2006 (with quite a bit of FF-ing) and Ph-eww! What a clusterf*ck!

The sorry Slasher story barely finished before the Ice Storm side-story emerged, equal parts gimmick and filler.  And every other commercial break during the Slasher story was a promo for the Ice Storm story.  You would think they'd advertise at other hours to try to convince viewers who weren't already watching.

2006 definitely rates as one of, if not the most depressing year the show ever had, with how many deaths? Jennifer, Hal, multiple random kids who the show never bothered to allow the viewer to truly get to know or care about.

Then there was the introduction of 'Creepy Craig' (Jeffrey Meeks is probably a nice guy in real life but gottdamn he creeped me out in these episodes!).

What type of wizardy foolishness gets Tom to work for Creepy Craig??  I could see 80s Craig and Tom working together but this makes no sense.  It just makes Tom look like a greedy shark.

I've already mentioned (I think) wannabe thug Dusty.  Dusty and Craig's rewritten characters during the last decade irked me to no end!

How can a show be this frenetic yet this dull?

Oh yay, the beginning of endless singing Gwen's recording career launch!

Please register in order to view this content

Just a jumbled mess.

Why couldn't they use the previous actor who played Adam Munson? 

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Please help me to remember the provenance of the fashion boutique of Oakdale. 

My memory is that Lisa owned the store, then she partnered with Barbara, then Barbara took it over, then Barbara started her own line with Hank as the designer, then the focus switched from the store to the clothes business and eventually Carly designed for the company.

BUT

What was the name of Barbara's store and the clothing company?  Were they both called Fashions (like AMC's eponymous Boutique)? 

Wasn't there also a Simply Barbara line of clothes?

What happened to the original store?  How did Lisa get it and why did she sell it?

Wasn't Daryl Crawford or Brock Lombard somehow involved with the fashion company?

Was Barbara still in the fashion biz at the end?