As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

It's hard to gauge how much involvement based on You Tube episodes (many of which are still missing) but from what I've seen over the past year and a half, Shannon's involvement was very brief, more as a red herring.

Shannon was actually contacting Lucinda because she wanted to sell back her shares of Walsh Enterprises (that had been gifted by Harriet) so that she could afford to hire a private detective to track down her long-lost husband, (who would turn out to be Duncan McKechnie) so she could get her marriage annulled or get a divorce.  

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

That makes sense (I wish they'd done that with some others who dragged on for years, like that sleazy Brad) although I wish they'd done more with him. Did he ever have any real interaction with James beyond their meeting here? I'm trying to remember if they overlap in 1986. 

(whenever I see Gary Hudson I always remember that male stripper movie with Thomas Calabro that is very dear to my heart)

Thanks. I need to watch more of those as I know a few more have popped up in the last year or two. The quality is so bad sometimes I don't feel like it.

That's a great idea. Bringing in the niece of a dead end slampiece of James's (or is it James' - I can never remember) was a waste.

Thanks. I think Lisa Sloan was a Nicole on EON.

I wonder whatever happened to Davidson. I know she was very popular with fans.

You're right, she did. I guess because her big return story was such a flop with viewers, she did start to float around town more. I think the show was right to axe her, looking back, but I do wonder if she could have been freshened up with a new producer as with Duncan gone she was all ready for new stories and relationships, no history to clog her down.

• Members

Someone just uploaded a bunch of Guiding Light episodes on You Tube and looking at the screencaps alone, I marvel at how consistently good the quality of videos uploaded of GL episodes are.  I can't remember seeing any episodes with poor video quality. 

Same for EON videos uploaded to You Tube.

• Members

There were some very rough GL episodes from the early '80s, but yes otherwise you're right. Maybe GL fans kept their material in better condition, I don't know. (of course a lot of GL is early '90s but some is mid-80s too).

• Members

Now that I think about @DRW50I do recall a couple summers ago, watching a string of GL episodes from '84 and there were a few with poor picture.  I guess I have managed to avoid those since then, although tbh, I don't watch classic GL as often as I do classic ATWT.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I'm spending part of my semi-working holiday still hip-deep in 1986. Can anyone explain the whole backstory with Doug Cummings, his dead wife Caroline, Marsha, etc? It'd be much appreciated. Was there something about horses?

• Members

I remember when the story started in late 85 I was not too invested in it. The show had previously done a story where Barbara had a stalker/secret admirer. Now it was Kim's turn. Also Frannie went through boyfriends like water. So Doug Cummings seemed like the new flavor of the month. But Marland did weave a suspenseful yarn. And the actress who played Marsha Talbot was the best thing about this storyline (in my opinion).

• Members

Probably an unpopular opinion.. but I was always on Lucinda's side especially when it came to Lily.  I actually wished she'd disowned that brat Lily and let the princess go live at the Snyder Farm and cut her off so she didn't have any money.  And I had wished she had succeeded in getting Holden/Lily to break up even though had she not done anything.. they still would have broken up as we witnessed once the two were adults and Lucinda had learned to accept him.

I also was on Lucinda's side with not telling Lily about Holden's amnesia and being in the hospital in New York.. but only because Lily would have found a way to make it all about her (which we saw when she was frustrated that Holden didn't remember her, etc).  I also understood why Lucinda told Sierra about her breast cancer before she told Lily (and Lucinda confirmed it by saying because Sierra wouldn't have made it all about herself).  

i watched the pitchfork episode.. and the reason Lily was there was because she was upset about Craig being reported missing/dead.  The way she acted, you would have thought she was the most important person to Craig.. moreso than his girlfriend/wife Sierra, his mother Lyla, or his sister Margo.  Selfish character.  

Now I do wonder if you think this was due to how Martha chose to play the character, or if this is how the character was written by Horgan/Marland/Backus/etc?  

• Members

I think its an unfortunate kind of synergy. Marland loved to write her as the wounded bird to be protected at all costs, and Byrne kind of honed in on adding an entitled, self righteousness that grated over time. 

After Lily gave Hope up without as much as giving him the opportunity to say goodbye, he should've divorced her ass AND taken the kids. 

• Members

The general comment when Byrne played Rose is that she was a lot more like Rose in real life than she was Lily, which is one of the reasons she enjoyed her. 

I think that she also wanted some changes when Lily came back in 1993 so Lily would not be such a victim, but I can't remember for sure.