1970 Joe Kane and Ralph Ellis
1970 Winifred Wolfe
1970 Katherine L. Phillips
1971 Winifred Wolfe and Warren Swanson
1971 Warren Swanson, Elizabeth Tillman, and John Boruff
1971–1973 David Lesan and Irna Phillips
July 1973 – 1978 Robert Soderberg and Edith Sommer
1979-November 6, 1979 Ralph Ellis and Eugenie Hunt
Late 1979 Douglas Marland (13 weeks, before moving to Guiding Light)
January 7, 1980 – 1981 Bridget and Jerome Dobson
1981 Paul Roberts
1981 Tom King
1981 K.C. Collier
1981 Jean Rouverol, Chuck & Patti Dizenzo, David Cherill, and Tom King
1982–1983 Bridget and Jerome Dobson
1983 Caroline Franz and John Saffron
Mid-1983–1984 John Saffron
1984 – November 1984 Tom King and Millee Taggart
November 1984 – April 1985 Cynthia Benjamin and Susan Bedsow Horgan
April 1985 – November 1985 Susan Bedsow Horgan
November 1985 – April 1993 Douglas Marland (died) (Robert Calhoun during 1988 WGA strike)
April 1993 – January 1995 Juliet Law Packer and Richard Backus
January 1995 Juliet Law Packer, Garin Wolf, and Richard Culliton
January 1995 - January 31, 1996 Richard Culliton (Fired)
February 1996 – December 1996 Stephen Black and Henry Stern (Fired)
December 1996 – May 1997 Stephen Demorest, Mel Brez, and Addie Walsh
May 1997 – fall 1997 Jessica Klein
Fall 1997 Stephen Demorest, Mel Brez, and Addie Walsh
December 1997– February 1998 Addie Walsh
February 1998 – June 1999 Lorraine Broderick, Hal Corley, and Addie Walsh (co-headwriters)
June 1999 – June 12, 2000 Leah Laiman and Carolyn Culliton (co-headwriter)
June 13, 2000 – July 2001 Hogan Sheffer, Carolyn Culliton, Hal Corley, and Stephen Demorest (co-headwriters)
July 16, 2001 – September 2002 Hogan Sheffer, Jean Passanante, and Carolyn Culliton
September 2002 – May 24, 2005 Hogan Sheffer and Jean Passanante
May 25, 2005 – October 17, 2007 Jean Passanante, Leah Laiman, and Christopher Whitesell
October 2007 – January 24, 2008 Jean Passanante and Leah Laiman
January 25, 2008 – April 17, 2008 Christopher Goutman (2007 WGA strike)
April 18, 2008 - October 5, 2009 Jean Passanante and Leah Laiman
October 6, 2009 - June 4, 2010 Jean Passanante and David Kreizman
June 7 - September 17, 2010 Jean Passanante and Lloyd Gold

Executive producers[edit]

Duration Name
1956–1965 Ted Corday
1965–1971 Mary Harris
1971–1973 Fred Bartholomew
1973–1978 Joe Willmore
1978–1980 Joe Rothenberger
1980 – fall 1981 Fred Bartholomew
Fall 1981 – October 1984 Mary-Ellis Bunim
October 1984 – October 1988 Robert Calhoun
October 1988 – May 1995 Laurence Caso
May 1995 – November 8, 1996 John Valente
November 11, 1996 – June 4, 1999 Felicia Minei Behr
June 7, 1999 – September 17, 2010 Christopher Goutman

Edited by John

• Members

Thanks John for that helpful writer/producer chart.

I watched from 1982 to 2008. I'd say the worst year in my opinion was 1996. The plane crash with Margo's PTSD; Barbara and John; Mike's siblings, with Lisa taking his sister Sarah under her wing; the whole Kasnof clan except for Mike were dreadful. The writing was terrible that year.

I loved Lorraine Broderick's stuff. Leah Laiman was terrible in my view. And they hired her back again later.

Passanante was headwriter for 9 years at the end. She was in charge too long. Kreizman and Gold had both been headwriters earlier in the decade on Guiding Light.

Interestingly Goutman had the longest run as executive producer.

• Members

Yep! Hollen appeared as Patricia Kingsley, and her husband had been murdered by Hans. Patricia if I recall right knew of Paul or something, and there was some throwaway lines of how Paul Ryan was the one to introduce Lily to Damien. Interestingly Paul never showed up in person although I wondered if they thought about bringing him back as a connection to the plot at some point. 

• Members

They had already put Barbara with Hal twice and now she was in need of a new man again. John had recently gone through Lucinda and Iva plus there was his whole mess with Lisa. So the writers threw these two together I guess to give them something to do. It didn't make sense. I think Zenk and Bryggman liked acting together but Barbara and John did not really go together well as characters. There was a baby which died. She broke up with him and moved on.

• Members

LOL. Yeah, the avatar is so 90s, that I loved it and couldn't resist.  I loved that Debbie Simon wore glasses, at least for awhile.

They had Sierra also return in '89 to reunite with Craig and then again in the mid 90s. Honestly, they should've kept this couple together and rather than messing with character trajectories, bring Rick Ryan to town in the early 2000s and have him create all the mischief that "Craig" ended up getting into in the show's last decade.

I would've been cool if they had brought back both Finn and Scott to reprise their roles, even briefly, in the show's last few years.  I would've loved to see the original actors interact.  One of the things I loved about ATWT as a kid was how they used to bring Penny on sometimes for special occasions. It's too bad that ATWT stopped doing that by the end of the 90s.

Had the show asked her to reprise her role, even for a brief story arc, if given the chance to work with Scott Bryce again, I doubt she'd turn them down but since they managed to fire Bryce, it doesn't seem that the show would've been interested in that approach.

@John Thanks for posting that.  I wish we could pin that somewhere so that it doesn't get lost in the run of the thread.

The size of the impact that Calhoun had as EP seems much larger than his four years. 

As for Goutman, I'm convinced that when an EP is bad yet is kept on for so long, it is merely because they're the ones that will ultimately put the show "to bed". 

• Members

I

That writer list puzzles me in that Katherine Babecki is listed as headwriter from 1966 - 70.

Everything else I've read confirms that Irna was head writer through to early 1970, when she departed to work on A World Apart.

I wonder if Katherine Babecki is actually Irna's daughter Katherine Phillips and perhaps she was an assistant writer at that time.

Then Katherine Phillips is listed as a headwriter in 1970 when she and her mother were writing A World Apart,

I've only seen Joel (not Joe) Kane as headwriter in 1970, who was soon replaced by Winifred Wolfe who continued as hw until Irna returned late 71/early 72.

Never seen Rouverol &co listed as hw's in 81 unless they were short term until the Dobsons resumed.

• Members

I don't think it's fair to downplay Goutman's contributions. Procter & Gamble liked his work on 'Another World,' a soap he also quote put to bed. That's why he was brought over to ATWT. I actually think it was smart of him to bring Tom Eplin along from AW as Jake McKinnon. Though he shouldn't have let Hogan Sheffer kill Jake off in '02. The story threads and recurring characters that followed over from AW were ingenious-- they gave ATWT a richer tapestry and brought fans from NBC  to CBS, because I am sure Eplin's following was quite large or else they wouldn't have bothered crossing him over.

Compared to Ellen Wheeler (at GL) Goutman exercised great restraint in not altering the production model too much. He did some cheaper outdoor filming but mixed it in with the studio filming so it wasn't so noticeable.

I do think the reason we saw less of the over-50 vets was Goutman's doing, primarily because those people were not going to take pay cuts and so to make the budget stretch he had to decrease their appearances. Any executive producer would have been forced to do that to keep the show profitable for P&G.

• Members

Oh, Goutman had a huge impact actually, so I wasn't downplaying it at all. It was a large and lasting impact.  He was there for at least a decade which was more than enough time to make a lasting impression and that, he did.

I was pointing out that Calhoun was there for only a few years and it is still surprising how much of an impact he had for a relatively brief tenure (in soap years anyway).

Part of what an EP does is not just cost cutting and budgets but in how the talent is managed.  I take the sum total in when I made the distinction.  I've worked with EPs who were strict but managed to treat everyone humanely.  You can't always say yes, but even if you part ways with talent, at least let it be done on relatively amicable terms.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

I read that ATWT had to take Eplin because his contract was with P&G not AW.

Otherwise he would have had to be paid after AW was cancelled until the contract expired.

So they had to integrate Jake to make their financial investment pay off.

The minute that contract expired Jake was out.

Am I correct about this??