Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Phoebe Dorin was a decent actress and actually looked a bit like Rosemary Prinz. I thought if she had been cast as another character, she would have found greater success on ATWT. However, Prinz was BELOVED by the audience, one of daytime TV's first real superstars, and I knew from the moment Dorin first walked into the Hughes' kitchen that the audience would reject her.

She lasted less than a year, as I recall, in 1971.

• Members

I was just about to post that picture of Dorin. In this shot, she is not wearing the little facial mole the show had her wear, to look more like Prinz. But you can see the resemblance.

Ha! I wish someone would interview Fulton now, about Sheffer and the damage he did to the show. Without fear of network or sponsor retaliation, I'll bet she would have a thing or two to say!

• Members

Were you surprised when Prinz eventually returned for brief appearances, after saying things like her mother would have to be put in front of a firing squad to get her back?

I always wish more of Prinz's time as Penny was available, as her acting style seems to have a bit more life than a lot of ATWT at that time. I guess she does have the heavy neuroses that you can see in others though (Fulton, Wagner).

I wonder if it was just the women who were played as neurotic in those years or if any of the men were. 

• Members

I've been wanting that to happen for ages!  Sometimes I get the feeling that actors have been very careful about what they say in the past but now that the show's been over for nearly a decade, I'd love to read/hear/see an unguarded interview of BTS dynamics as well as the work itself. I'm fascinated by that stuff.

• Members

I do recall Lucci adding extra to her book after AMC was officially canceled blasting Pratt and co... so if someone that usually is polite can do something post show.. and don't forget Kim Zimmer's experiences working in GL.. or even when Maureen Garrett spoke of her experience filming in Peapack during her final visit.  Very honest so I'd love to hear what Fulton would say now 10 + years after ATWT ended.

I forgot about her thoughts on Focus Groups LOL   

• Members

I understand the urge to feel the negative overwhelms....but we wouldn't be discussing the show seven years after cancellation, if we didn't love it. 

I make no apology for loving the Marland years, but I also accept the criticisms of it. (As anyone who sat through the Carolyn Crawford murder mess would have to...) And I think the Snyders were awesome. Even if their love lives were basically one long game of tag. 

And CarJack RULES. 

• Members

I was SHOCKED when she returned. Thrilled, because I adored Penny, but shocked that Prinz agreed to do it. I guess enough time had passed and some of her bitterness had faded. I remember her saying that she would only return to ATWT if her father were in a Nazi death camp, and her reappearance as Penny was the sole way to get him released.

I would say that way back then, the women on the show were portrayed as more emotional and neurotic, while the men in their lives were the stoic ports in the storm.

• Members

I mean, I watched a lot of CBS soaps for a long time. (I dont precisely remember LOL, SFT, or EON) I don't feel compelled to really discuss them. (yes, I'm a little ashamed to admit the Danny Romalotti concerts were must see summer watching, back in the day, or how badly I crushed on GLs Phillip or Capitol's Jordy)  ATWT was always the one show I refused to miss. 

Although, quick question about GL. I don't recall Ed and Vanessa being involved. Who was playing Ed? I just can't see Mart Hulswit with Maeve Kincaid. 

• Members

This was the end of line for Mart Hulswit. He dated Vanessa for a few months after he had dumped Rita - I think the idea was she reminded him of Rita. Vanessa kept big secrets from him (I think it was her role in Rita's downfall - I can't remember) and when he found out, he dumped her and left town for a few months. When he returned, he was played by Peter Simon. 

Those episodes are on Youtube, I think, if you ever want to see them. 

• Members

Ahhhh...see...asked and answered. That makes sense. Yes, what I quickly skimmed was something about Vanessa having/knowing about Rita's last address and a letter, yadda yadda. I might actually check that out. TYVM.