As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Many people do not remember, but Susan purposely lost the first child that she was carrying.   She did not want children, but Dan did.   She jumped off a chair in order to miscarry.  (This was a long time before the role was played by Marie Master.)

• Replies 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Ratings losses, and likely P&G wanting to push the show in a younger direction. I know some fans have also said that it was a struggle for some to accept John Colenback again after the dynamic John Reilly had taken over the part. 

• Members

I wish we could see any of that time period. I know the show was still very conservative, but you had very attractive actors like Judith Chapman, and the guy who played Tom at that time (C David Colson or whatever his name was), and I think someone here said Marie Masters also played Susan in a vulnerable/sexual manner, etc. It sounds very different to how dry the show felt by the late '70s.

• Members

Didn't  C. David Colson's use another name when he wrote for soaps ? The first adult version of Tom was played by Peter Galman. He has a youtube page of some of his work and is still active. Someone asked him about ATWT and he said he was looking for footage of his time as Tom. He still looks pretty young to be 73 years old. He also does modeling.

http://802models.com/portfolio-Peter_Galman.html

Edited by SoapDope

• Members

A lot of the photos I've seen always look like a fun and colorful cast! Not to mention I know Dan and Kim's courtship there in 1975-1976 helped kept the show running fine. However it didn't help though that Soderberg & Sommer were the Cryptkeepers of daytime at that point. 

• Members

I think you are right about the David Cherrill name. It would have been interesting for Peter Galman to have returned to the role at some point. Instead we got Scott Holmes who I never cared for as Tom. In the 80's, the show was trying to de-age Tom. Greg Marx and Scott Homes were born in the 1950's while the previous actors to play the role were born in the 1940's. 

• Members

I agree about John Reilly being the far-superior Dan Stewart on ATWT, just like Barbara Rodell was a much-better Leslie Bauer than LA on TGL. Colenback had good chemistry with Jane House as Liz Talbot, but there was a certain...effete quality about him when he was paired with Kim. He and Kathryn Hays felt more like platonic buddies than romantic partners. On the other hand, John Reilly had charisma and sex appeal to burn, and oozed effortless, appealing masculinity in the role. I always thought Reilly's Dan could rock a woman's socks off in the bedroom; Colenback's version...could play cards with her.