As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

I missed the whole the Barbara, Kim, and Lisa friendship during ATWT's last decade. It was sad when Sheffer decimated their friendship when Kim and Lisa disowned Barbara after the aging spa mess and we rarely saw the three ever interact together again after that. 

• Replies 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The book doesn't go into great detail, but from what I gather,  Lisa made a play for Bob shortly before he met Jennifer, by using Tom and worming herself back in with the Hughes' when Chris Sr took ill. But he sidestepped that and met Jennifer. Lisa took up with his brother Don. Lisa thought she was pregnant, only to find out it was an ovarian cyst. Jen's son Chuck tried to derail the Bob/Jen romance by claiming Bob was the father of Lisa's non-baby. So I doubt Jen and Lisa were friendly. Lisa gets engaged to Don, but then falls for a newcomer, Wally Matthews. Don leaves for CA, but Lisa dumps boring Wally, buys the Wade bookshop and meets Grant. Her attention never seems to go back to Bob. 

All it mentions about the start of Kim and Lisa's friendship was that it blossomed after Kim had slept with Bob, and that it concerned Jennifer.

• Members

There were hints in 1976/1977 that LIsa was still interested in Bob.. but she wasn't aware of it except her mother Alma called her out on her being jealous of attention any woman placed on Bob (at the time it was both Joyce and Valerie).  At this time, Kim was married to John and in love with Dan Stewart.

• Members

Oddly I don't recall any content related to Kim and Lisa's friendship.  I remember that they were cordial at the Mona Lisa or at weddings.  However, I can't think of many scenes of Kim and Lisa being confidants.  For example, I don't recall Kim consoling Lisa when she was humiliated by John Dixon.  I don't recall them ever commiserating over the issues with Andy or Scott.  I only think of Kim being humored by Lisa but their relationship was most superficial,  In contrast, to Lisa and Barbara who had a much more complex relationship.

I just realized that soap women don't discuss their friendships like Bravo Housewives.  Molly and Carly never talked about girl code.  Lily was never mad that people talked behind her back.  The only connection is that Bravo and Oakdale both have more costume parties than one would attend anywhere else.

• Members

In the 1979 episodes, Lisa calls Kim her best friend and Kim goes up to The Willows to help with the wedding and plan a party. I also noticed the show hinted at a possible Grant/Kim pairing, but dropped it when Nick came on. Nick & Kim was an odd pairing along with Bob & Miranda. It took Kim and Bob 13 years to FINALLY get together. 

In the early 90's when Bob and Susan had the affair, Lisa was worried that Kim and Bob would split. 

• Members

My bad. I just meant that in the time period I read in the book, it never says something like "Lisa pined for Bob." It was always kind of unwritten that for Lisa, Bob was always the one who got away. Especially between lovers. But Bob, Lisa and Kim at the time weren't really letting any grass grow underneath their feet. The sluts....  ;O That Lisa might have been pining for Bob was a plot point in the Doug Cummings story for a bit....something about a Christmas card that had been left for Kim matching the one's Lisa sent out that year...although I can't recall specifically why.

It's hard to recall specific incidents, but they were always portrayed as friends as far back as I can remember. The Lisa/Babs friendship seems more tangible, because I can picture them sitting in their Fashions/Simply Barbara set, chatting away.

Carly and Molly actually didn't cross as much as you'd think, as each was kind of a tent pole for a separate story. I do remember that before Jake, when they did cross, they'd often complain about their problems, but rarely seemed to focus on what the other one was saying. They would end up supporting the other when shtf….Carly lives in Molly's old apartment for example, and Carly really tries pulling Molly out of her grief after Jake's death.

Lily---she just rarely had girlfriends.

• Members

thank you so much for that - what a totally charming scene - j'adore their housecoats

But it hardly passes the oft-mentioned Bechtel Test.  They are two women alone in a scene but, despite not seeing each other in while, they only discuss men.