Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Agreed, and it's not even really a contest. I loved Craig, but she never really had a shot with him, and the relationship with John was just...weird. The less said about Jason Benedict, the better.

Its almost debatable whether Lisa had better chem with Wiggin or Michael Tylo's Quint. 

Iva got written out before Kirk, IIRC. I don't recall the vulnerable thing at all. 

There was always something so rootable about Iva though. It seemed like Marland wrote Iva as a 180° turn from the ditzy Nola just to prove there was more to Lisa than that. But it did have the effect of making Iva's life one endless river of misery. 

I think Nola's bummer return to GL was more about the HW than some hangover from Iva. That was McTrash's work, wasn't it?

• Members

I think Lisa Brown carried Michael Tylo, actually. On his own, or with anyone else, I doubt he would have made many sparks.

Had I been writing the show at the time, I would have written off Iva pretty quickly, much faster than I ever would have written off Kirk. Indeed, I probably would have kept him around indefinitely and not written him out at all. The show needed charismatic leading men.

• Members

Thank you for sharing!!! Nothing like spending a lazy weekend watching old ATWT and GL on Youtube. 

Please register in order to view this content

LOL well put! How many actors played Jason Benedict over the years anyways? 4? I remember Olivia Wycroft better than I do Jason. It was strange to me Iva got paired up with him, but then again I felt Iva's exit there in late '93/early '94 was rather rushed and unnecessary. 

• Members

Where he and  Julia Duffy have good chemistry.

So I often think chemistry can make/or break a couple.  I didn't much like who Iva married to.. but he seemed like a nice guy with a solid career.. and was willing to be a step father to her child with John Dixon.  At that point in her life, it made sense Iva decided on friendship/stability over passion/excitement she had with Tad, Kirk and to a lesser extent John.

I often think Iva's quick write out had to do with the fact that the Marland outlines the replacement team had run out.. and her character had a more natural conclusion to her arc hence why she ended up leaving.  I do wish she had been allowed to visit more especially in 1994/95/96 when Lily was going through the pregnancy, gas lighting, and losing Damian.

And I do agree her Nola return had her playing her more like Iva.. but I did notice in 96/early 97.. she was acting more like Nola of old... but then the writing got weird for her with that obsession story... but she had a few fun fantasies on her return like in the old days.

• Members

Nola's obsession with Buzz was a step back for her in SO many ways.  Even when she WAS more of a villainess, manipulating poor Morgan into thinking Kelly was laughing about being with someone so young and inexperienced, Nola wasn't the type to STALK a man.  (Fantasize that he's like some character out of an old movie?  Yes.  Stalk?  No.)  Moreover, after Kelly, Quinton and even Floyd (!), Buzz just seemed like a downgrade (and I say that as someone who is a fan of Justin Deas').  At best, the two should have remained close friends, supporting each other through various relationship and familial crises, with Nola unsure whether Jenna was "the one" for him.  (Heck, even in my mind's eye, I see Nola trying to hook him up with her returning BFF, Gracie Middleton!)

Edited by Khan

• Members

Lisa and Kim always had a good friendship the whole time I watched ATWT. When did their freindship start ? I remember in Kim's 25th anniversary episode, her sister Jennifer (the ghost of) said " Lisa surely didn't need you in the old days. You two were like oil and water. The last thing she wanted was you to be anywhere near Bob". Lisa and Kim are already close friends in the 1979 episodes uploaded.

• Members

Would love to know the answer to the Lisa & Kim question as well. I can sure see Lisa not liking Kim because Lisa either wanted Bob back or...Lisa didn't want Bob, but she didn't want anyone else to have him either. Speaking of, did Lisa like Jennifer?

I can't chime in to the Kirk stuff - I can't really read it all so I don't spoil myself BUT because there were so many posts about him, I had to google the character a 2nd time. I started to really become interested in Kirk Anderson (both character and actor) so I looked him up to see how long he was on ATWT...I saw April 1988 - August 1988, thought he must have just been a writers strike character, and thought no more of it. However, from the conversation and memories that seemed to come out of it, I looked him up again and saw that he was on the show from April 1988 - August 1998...Whoops!