Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I just Betsy as jaded with life and love (after all... her storybook romance with Steve went up in smoke with his crimes leading to prison.)..  She probably thought she could change him and when he still reverted to his old ways, she became much more jaded and guarded.

I do think she did quite well as a character without a love interest even in the era of the super couple.  And I think she and Emily had an interesting dynamic as half-sisters (the yin and yang effect).

• Members

I think HBS and Marx were great together, but outside of some reunion scenes that briefly happened between their separation and her miscarriage, I felt like they spent all of Marland's run in sad stories. They seemed much more lively and fun to me pre-Marland. 

In the long run Marland seemed to take Tom back to what he had been pre-Deas, which I probably should respect, but everything that happened after Marland's passing (along with the show's obvious contempt for Tom and Scott Holmes giving up and giving in to just shouting all his lines) took a huge toll.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Right. Of all the actors on the show, ATWT clearly had the most contempt for Eileen Fulton, treating Lisa like a glorified and irrelevant day-player for years, but their treatment of Tom Hughes/Scott Holmes was not much better. Marx and HBS were my favorite Tom and Margo, both so charismatic, warm and likeable, but Holmes was capable of much more than being the rigid, loud-mouthed sourpuss that Tom became in the show's later years. Of course, for extended periods, particularly under Sheffer, Kim and Nancy suffered tremendously too. And the way the show dropped Ellen Stewart without explanation was egregious. As a veteran viewer, it was hard for me to endure the side-ling and mistreatment of all these legacy characters and longtime actors. They were the ONLY REASON I stuck with the show until the end. The crappy stories were not the incentive. I could have written better fan fiction on my own. 

• Members

Going through some more old uploads on the Rick Thomas channel I found this, which was a lovely surprise (and kudos to Marie Masters for maintaining her lovely face for all the years later, so that she remained recognizable). Sad to think I'm never likely to get to see her work on ATWT at this time.

If you want to see the full upload, with a few other people popping up (John Gabriel is in the partial ad at the end, and I think Tim Matheson is in the Folgers ad).

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Thanks for posting these pics @Dax7000 Eileen Fulton looks wonderful.

I bet if someone wrote a great script for her Kathryn Hays and Elizabeth Hubbard, they'd all be ready to get up on it!  

As I always say, if I had the ability to raise the $$$ and get PGP's permission (fantasy-land, I know), I'd write the ending storyline arcs that the actors and the fans deserved. I'm not claiming perfection but everybody deserved better than what was delivered in the last decade (which I'd promptly re-write as Steve's prison hunger-strike fever dream).

• Members

I don't buy the riding into the sunset trope.. it's kind of a cop out to me.

From watching the Steve/Betsy courtship.. I just didn't see the appeal.  I was actually rooting for Diana to break them up (or for Diana/Craig to become a couple).  

Did Marland ever write a fun loving couple during his time as head-writer on the show?  The only couple I could think of was John/Lucinda.. but anyone else?

• Members

My pleasure. I adore Ms Fulton and was not happy with the disrespectful and dismissive end they gave Lisa, one of the show's most important legacy characters. She was my favorite and it was so sad the way they used her less and less as the years went on. I understand soaps need fresh blood as actors get older, but ATWT had a great cast of veterans who should have been given a lot more to do. But I'll resist going on a rant lol.