Jump to content
edgeofnik

As The World Turns Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, P.J. said:

just for arguments' sake...does anyone know how much of other soaps' episode libraries are intact? I know P&G gets a bad rap for not keeping theirs intact...but tv as a whole was viewed differently back in the 60's. Someone's going to have to remind me when ATWT quit doing their show live too.

 

I'm pretty sure that Y&R's entire library is intact but they started in 1973 so Bill Bell definitely had the benefit of seeing the folly of 'wiping' at other soaps.

 

I would guess that any soap that began by the mid '70s would have their entire library of episodes properly archived.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

 

I'm pretty sure that Y&R's entire library is intact but they started in 1973 so Bill Bell definitely had the benefit of seeing the folly of 'wiping' at other soaps.

 

I would guess that any soap that began by the mid '70s would have their entire library of episodes properly archived.

 

The long-running shows that have all (or most) of episodes saved: The Doctors, Dark Shadows, Days of Our Lives, The Young and the Restless, Ryan's Hope, and The Bold and the Beautiful. I imagine that more recent offerings like Passions, Santa Barbara, and Sunset Beach would as well. Most long-running series like As the World Turns, The Guiding Light, Another World, etc., only starting preserving their episodes in the late 1970s.

 

Sadly for veteran soap viewers, this means that the best decades of many soaps (1950s-70s) are lost forever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Scrapple said:

Does this mean that any trace of my favorite soap storyline , the Stephanie Martin murder case on Edge Of Night, doesn't exist?

 

I'm afraid so.

 

While (rarely) an episode or individual scenes from the early 1970s pop up, almost all of those vintage years are gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jerry675   

Does anyone know the final time we saw the Hughes living room in whole or part? i seem to remember seeing it in 1999 as part of the molly/chris story, but cannot pinpoint the exact episode on youtube.

 

i know that we frequently saw the hughes kitchen up until late 2006 when idiot Chris Goutman destroyed it and made it part of the Oakdale Now set. This was extraordinarily unforgivable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mango   
4 hours ago, Jerry675 said:

 

i know that we frequently saw the hughes kitchen up until late 2006 when idiot Chris Goutman destroyed it and made it part of the Oakdale Now set. This was extraordinarily unforgivable.

2

 

Mr. Goutman is synonymous with the word destruction, isn't he? There were so many simple, but poignant scenes in the Hughes kitchen over the years. Nancy knew how to make a mean sandwich :) 

 

A number of sets were dismantled late 2006/early 2007.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a word of caution-- please beware of troll's masquerading as well-intentioned posters asking innocent-looking questions.  

Some of these questions and answers have already been discussed at length.  Of course, the trolls already know this- they are just trying to engage unsuspecting and relatively new posters, so they can get a foothold in the thread and start occupying it with nonsense.

 

A good clue for relatively recent posters (i.e. those who aren't using an alias because they've already been put on ignore by other board members) is to look at the avatars. If the avatar looks like it was done by an unstable person, it's usually because it represents an unstable person.

 

It would be a shame if unstable persons start occupying this thread the way they already occupy other threads (*coughs* GH).  We have really good, intelligent discussions in this thread and I really don't wish to see these discussions veer toward the absurd like some of other threads on this board.

 

Just an FYI. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mango   
2 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Just a word of caution-- please beware of troll's masquerading as well-intentioned posters asking innocent-looking questions.  

Some of these questions and answers have already been discussed at length.  Of course, the trolls already know this- they are just trying to engage unsuspecting and relatively new posters, so they can get a foothold in the thread and start occupying it with nonsense.

 

 

Thanks for the heads up! Still trying to learn the lay of the land and that's most helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, mango said:

 

Thanks for the heads up! Still trying to learn the lay of the land and that's most helpful.

 

No problem. Just trying to save you from some of the aggravation most of us have already been though.Repeatedly:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jerry675   
21 hours ago, mango said:

 

Mr. Goutman is synonymous with the word destruction, isn't he? There were so many simple, but poignant scenes in the Hughes kitchen over the years. Nancy knew how to make a mean sandwich :) 

 

A number of sets were dismantled late 2006/early 2007.

Goutman sure is! And putting Helen Wagner on recurring towards the end (as reported by Michael Logan ca. 2009) was another crime.

 

3 hours ago, DramatistDreamer said:

Just a word of caution-- please beware of troll's masquerading as well-intentioned posters asking innocent-looking questions.  

Some of these questions and answers have already been discussed at length.  Of course, the trolls already know this- they are just trying to engage unsuspecting and relatively new posters, so they can get a foothold in the thread and start occupying it with nonsense.

 

A good clue for relatively recent posters (i.e. those who aren't using an alias because they've already been put on ignore by other board members) is to look at the avatars. If the avatar looks like it was done by an unstable person, it's usually because it represents an unstable person.

 

It would be a shame if unstable persons start occupying this thread the way they already occupy other threads (*coughs* GH).  We have really good, intelligent discussions in this thread and I really don't wish to see these discussions veer toward the absurd like some of other threads on this board.

 

Just an FYI. 

Actually I searched the thread for answers to my Hughes living room set question and found nothing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
P.J.   
On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:05 PM, Paul Raven said:

ATWT and EON were the last live shows. They went to tape in 1975.

 

Thank you. This old brain just couldn't come up with the year, and I was too lazy to google.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×