Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

That 1992 episode shows the balance they got so right at this time (they would start to lose it as 1992 got darker and darker), with the Margo and Tom family scenes. They were working long hours on the interminable Crawford case but we got to see them with the kids, having fun, being a bit silly, not taking themselves too seriously. 

I also really enjoy the Julie/Caleb/Angel melodrama in this one. Julie was always so dramatic and sometimes she could be very annoying, but I just loved her. And the fight she has with her sugar daddy, where he says he hopes when they break up she treats him as well as she treats all her exes, cracked me up.

John just never fit with Iva. Whether it was a pairing to cause conflict with Lucinda or because the actors were involved, they never fit. I did enjoy John saying that they should marry because he could passed down all of Andy's old monogrammed clothes. Lisa Brown plays all that maudlin soapy stuff like a pro - it's one of the reasons I always felt for Iva. I still wish they'd just let her keep Aaron rather than giving him to a deadbeat loser.

• Members

So I was l didn't know that Johnny Mathis and Patti Austin's song, You Brought Me Love was Jess and Duncan's song! Guess it makes sense why I love the song so much now. 

Please register in order to view this content

God that promo was so sexual and sensual. What soaps lack nowadays. I loved how Tamara Tunie was showcased in the promo. Kudos to Marland for making Jess a romantic leading heroine--something that'd never happen on soaps nowadays. We'll be lucky if a Black woman gets any airtime better yet be in a hot romance. 

Edited by Nothin'ButAttitude

• Members

Meet the Company: 2017 Essential Theatre Festival

Evan Alex Cole is excited to join this fantastic cast. Alex is an Atlanta native and studied at Carnegie Mellon School of Drama. Theatre: A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS (Broadway), THE ROYAL FAMILY (Pittsburgh Public). Film: CBGB, SHE'S OUT OF MY LEAGUE. TV: AS THE WORLD TURNS, LAW AND ORDER

See Alex in Opening Night: Ada and the Memory Engine by Lauren Gunderson!

Image may contain: 1 person, closeup

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I keep changing my mind about Doug Marland. I can't decide if I like his ATWT or not. I have a feeling he is such a detailed writer that, unless you see every episode, the story just doesn't flow well. I'm re-watching AW (am at 1989) and ATWT for a first time (am at 1987). Neither of these shows have all of the episodes. When I miss some eps of AW, I don't feel like I've missed much. When I miss some eps of ATWT, I have no idea what the eff is going on!  Haha!!

Anyway, I was just leaning towards thinking I don't like his writing, when he totally subverted my expectations. I just made it through Brian & Beatrice's wedding. I was dreading the whole secret of her parentage coming out because I didn't want to sit through weeks of her being upset and feeling betrayed and crying and blah blah blah. Instead, she thinks it's the most delightful thing in the world and is running around town telling everyone all about it. The entire town of Oakdale is shocked while she just goes about telling more people and laughing about it. I thought it was a hoot and laughed myself silly, as Beatrice was doing. How fun!

PS Are they gone now? They've moved back to Edinburgh - are the leaving the series?

• Members

They just pop up for guest shots after this.

When Marland joined ATWT in mid-1985 he told Mark Pinter that he couldn't do anything with Brian, but that he would take time to give him a lengthy exit story, which is what he did.

• Members

Thanks for the info! That was nice of Marland to do. Personally, I loved Brian - I've always enjoyed MP from AW. Actually, I loved all the McColls (bar Whit) - little that I've seen of them. I'm glad Brian got a good exit and that we get to see a couple's happy ending. I'm also happy to hear that they will pop back from time to time for awhile. I do love how the old soaps would do this. It was great seeing Penny in London for the time that the Hughes family was there with Frannie!

• Members

Yes. It was nice to see Rosemary Prinz pop up a few times in the '80s, and how Marland made use of the London branch after the show did nothing with it for years. I liked that her daughter Amy popped up and had a few scenes with Lien as well.