Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I don't know why, but I've been wondering a lot about Eileen Fulton's health lately. Lisa was my all time favorite, so I'll be very sad when she goes. It still annoys me to think of how the show wasted her in the last several years. I don't think she any real story after 1996. 

• Members

Them all too. I know they can't live forever, but in my mind, I'd like to think they can. But let's put this topic to rest b/c I feel like by us even entertaining the worst, we're somewhat speaking it to existence. 

People, what are your favorite ATWT moments? Fave characters you miss? Just in general what do you miss about the show overall?

• Members

I miss the community and seeing people talk - really talk - seeing them find out about major events happening, even if it doesn't affect their story. I miss knowing that old friends and family would return for special occasions and we'd get a window into their lives. I miss being treated with respect by a writer.

• Members

So true. One thing I can give the P&G soaps is that they weren't big fans of hair models, and those that typically started that way were either booted on went on to become decent actors. Immediately, Austin Peck comes to mind when I say this. I can remember being horrified when it was announced he'd be Brad Snyder; however, he was molded into a true actor on this show thanks to having Terri Conn, Michael Park, & Maura West being his scene partners. 

I think this highlights the primary issue with soaps nowadays. There is no sense of community now. That void is gone and it shows. I (too) miss the days when everyone would comment on recent scandals that happened on the canvas despite it affecting them. It was true to real life. Now everyone on soaps are isolated into little factions and barely interact with characters outside of it. 

So you miss characters like Katie and Janet? 

Please register in order to view this content

What I miss most about this show is the Hughes clan. Despite my love for other soap families like the Winters/Barbers, the Cory and the Bauers, no soap family was as special to me like the Hughes. There was something so rich, so magical, and so powerful with this family. I feel like regardless your race or age, there was someone in this family that you could find yourself in, or someone that reminded you of someone you were related too and loved. 

I got that Kim & Nancy. Both of them reminded me of my late maternal grandmother, who was a huge ATWT fan. While my grandmother was stern like Kim, she also had that nurturing, forgiving side that Nancy possessed. She was career driven and strong like Kim, and was all about family unity like Nancy. 

With Bob, I felt that I finally had the grandfather I always wanted and didn't have. My late maternal grandfather, though I loved him, was vicious (at times) and was an alcoholic. With my paternal step-grandfather, we have no relationship as I find him to be just vile. Bob filled that void for me b/c he was everything I'd want in a grandfather. 

I just miss the Hughes so much...

• Members

I miss Janet and Katie my way. I miss bitching about them. 

Please register in order to view this content

I miss rooting against them. It's  not the same as other  shows I watch now. Probably because I no longer watch nighttime "soaps" I really don't  have someone to hiss at.  (Laurel on Arrow is the closest thing I have.)

And I should clarify--I meant all our vets. Heck, I even find myself missing EF, and I really had no use for her for the last 16 years of the run. I was watching some tribute vids and caught some early Lisa and Bob that blew me away

And naturally, i miss my Carjack. 

• Members

That is so sweet. My maternal grandfather passed on before I was born, and while I had a good relationship with my paternal grandfather (who passed away when I was 23) - he had the strongest bond with my brother. Plus, Don Hastings just played the role to perfection. I imagine he/Bob served as a surrogate father/grandfather figure for many ATWT fans.

• Members

He did for me. I truly just miss this show and the characters. I haven't watched the finale since it aired b/c it is too painful for me. 

The last year of ATWT was so hard for me. Helen Wagner died before the finale. That hurt my heart.

My maternal grandmother, who I'd watch the show with avidly, died before the finale. I'd schedule my college classes the last few years of the show to ensure I had that hour (or 2) cut out so I could go and watch ATWT & GL with her. 

That final scene with Kim and Bob broke me down. When that globe turned, I had an epiphany and everything just came rushing out. 

That was a hard year for me. 

• Members

My maternal grandmother's first name was Nancy. We were so close, and even though she's been gone since 1995 - sometimes it feels like just yesterday. Plus, Helen Wagner was born the same year as both of my paternal grandparents.

You hit it right on the head - those shows were about family, multigenerational family. That is something that none of the remaining soaps really have (with the possible exception of DAYS - there are still Hortons and Bradys in Salem, with characters like Maggie, Doug and Julie serving as the parental figures). Again, thank goodness for DVDs and YouTube that people can still get their fix of the glory days of soaps.

• Members

Does anybody ever think of how they would've handled ATWT when it was announced it was cancelled? Of all the soaps that were given the pink slip, ATWT had the most time to tie up loose ends, bring back favorites, etc. But for the most part, they dropped the ball. Although the show was by FAR my favorite soap, the last year was a disaster in my opinion. If you could've changed one single plot point, what would you have changed?