Radio Soap Opera Discussion

• Members

The book mentions this ending of a Ma Perkins episode as an example of soaps not getting the credit they deserved for quality writing.

They talk about the radio soaps being belittled in the early 40s for not trying to discuss topical issues, and barely even mentioning the war. This leads to pointing out such things that male characters were wounded, sometimes even killed, in action, that characters talked about patriotism, and saving fat and tinfoil, buying war bonds. Bachelor's Children was broadcast in Spanish to Latin America to try to increase solidarity. Sometimes war heroes or Army officers were introduced in soap episodes, for patriotism or to sell war bonds. Eleanor Roosevelt suggested a bond purchase during an episode of The Story of Bess Johnson.

Here's the start of an episode of Rosemary, after ten seconds of theme music, which Rosemary interrupts.

During the war the government suggested that soaps tell stories about improving race relations (to help soldiers learn this) and learning what to do in a medical emergency (in case there was ever fighting on American soil). After the war ended, the government was less involved in advising soaps or suggesting stories, but some soaps still went on with ideas. A Rosemary episode had Rosemary and her mother visiting a young couple who had just had their first child.

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'm glad you read through all that. I wasn't sure if anyone could. :lol: So you got something out of it then? I have to admit I thought some of it, like the bit from Ma Perkins, was beautiful, and true to life.

I like the idea of radio soaps too. It's a shame these died in the US long ago. The UK managed to keep them going.

Have you looked up Guiding Light radio in Youtube? You will get about 5-6 episodes or more.

• Members

Yes absolutely! I would love too, but I'm just never sure where to find it...And whenever I find like one episode of something, I always get pissed when I can't get the rest because I want to know what happens?

Do you know where I could find it?

Yes! Thank you Carl. You post the most fascinating articles. I could just sit and read through them for hours...Hell, I did! (That's the one benefit to having a cold!)

Yeah, it's a shame radio soaps died here. I can't imagine they're that expensive...I could get behind a reboot of them. I'm surprised no one has launced any on Sirius XM or anything.

No, I haven't looked up GL...But I think I'm going to. I've heard nothing but good things!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

April 1953 Radio TV Mirror's Daytime Diary section.

Right to Happiness

Resuming his administration as governor under difficult circumstances, Miles Nelson's personal life is also strained as he and Carolyn cannot seem to resolve the tension that alienates them. Carolyn is well aware that Miles' distrust of her is the result of Annette Thorpe's careful maneuvers, but although she continues bravely to defend herself she wonders if Annette's wiles will triumph.

• Members

Thanks Carl for "The Right to Happiness" synopsis. It's a shame this show never transitioned to television. I wonder how long Carolyn's story could have continued in the television medium and if she would accumulate any more husbands.

In terms of the story, I don't know how far behind the Radio Times is in their summaries. The previous summer, Carolyn Nelson had been locked away in a mental hospital. Carolyn and Miles had toured the facility and Carolyn had caught on to some of the facilities shadier operating practices. The people behind the facility had locked her away and planned to kill her. Carolyn was saved by Dwight Kramer, her former husband. During Carolyn's stay in the institution, Annette Thorpe claimed Carolyn knew she and Miles weren't meant to be and had left town. I don't think Annette knew about the hospital scheme, but its possible she did. However, this summary seems to be from Carolyn's homecoming when it was clear Annette was meddling to come between the Nelsons.

There are a couple of episodes at the Internet Archive, including the show's final episode. Unforunately, the final episode seems to be missing the last few minutes. The final scene was between Carolyn and her latest husband, Lee, talking about 'the right to happiness.' When it was uploaded on another site, this scene was included. I don't know what happened.

Final Episode:

http://www.archive.org/download/RightToHappinessRadioPrograms/Rtoh-TheresAnInfiniteTenderness.mp3

• Members

December 1954 RTM.

Every aspect of Carolyn Nelson's life underwent severe strain while her husband was Governor, and at the close of his term she was more relieved than regretful to go back to private life. Does Miles share her feelings? Or does he miss his prestige and eminence enough to take a dangerous chance to regain them - a chance that may lead to more trouble than even Carolyn suspects?

• Members

Irna Phillips created "The Right to Happiness" as a spinoff of "The Guiding Light." Philips transplanted Rose Kransky to the new serial with her mother and her brother. They were only the focus for a few months before they were sent back to "The Guiding Light." "Happiness" focused on the story of Carolyn, a young woman who spent nearly twenty years, and four husbands, looking for her 'right to happiness.' When the show moved from Chicago to New York, Phillips left the show and John M. Young took over as headwriter. Young assumed the writing duties in December 1942 as his script collection is available at Cornell's library. He penned the show until it was cancelled. He also wrote the final months of "From These Roots", wrote a few episodes of "Days of our Lives," and created "Golden Windows."

After Miles left office, he was involved with Sherry Wayne. Sherry was a wealthy woman who suspected someone was trying to murder her. Wayne did end up dead and Miles did investigate. When he got close to the truth, he ended up dead.

What I like about these Radio Times synopses is it gives a sense of pacing and when things occurred. Once Radio Times was discontinued, it is hard to find information about the soaps.