Dallas 2.0: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sue Ellen and Cliff should've been a re-positioned as a major couple and it would've helped both characters. The problem with Sue Ellen is that regardless of the story or the drinking, the relationship with JR was played out. It was so silly constantly having her go back to him. It felt like going in circles. They either needed to write her out or find something completely different for her to do, while still allowing her to be Sue Ellen. Instead the drinking as used as a scapegoat and she lost everything that made her interesting.

Personally, I welcomed the new ladies April, Cally (a true gem!), Michelle and Tracy. I thought they were all fabulous, especially early bitchy April. I didn't miss Pam or Sue Ellen, I only missed Donna and Lucy (who was so wasted in her return).

When you look at the later years, they ended up giving Cliff a daughter with Afton, JR had a child with Cally plus James and I think Bobby or Ray had a son with Jenna. What is going to happen to all of those kids? I wonder if they'll be acknowledged in any way? In general I wonder what they'll mention and what they'll leave out. I don't wanna hear complains about having too much to fit in because they decided to make a continuation and not a remake. I don't want endless new characters in roles that could be filled by originals.

We'll see how it goes. Lucy in particular is the perfect character to revamp and give a great backstory. I'd consider a recast though.

• Members

Donna I think was a wasted character. She came on as this uber connected power player who was not afraid of JR and even threatened on occasion to bring him down, but show wound up Susie Homemaker. I thought there was more to do with her than just as something to make Ray feel insecure. The problem with Lucy was she was this nasty little sexpot, but being born rich she wanted for nothing and had nothing to work towards except to pretend to be normal to attract Mitch.

I loved Katherine Wentworth and think the show made a mistake sending her over the edge. Cally did nothing for me and her bumpkin ways had no place on the show imo. I am the exact opposite: I think the show lost its way when it lost Pam, and when Sue Ellen left it needed to be put out of its misery.

• Members

When Bobby went blind they briefly had Donna in charge of Ewing Oil and it looked like it would spark an exciting story with JR, but Bobby got his eye sight back in like two episodes and nothing came of it. That entire season was full of missed opportunities. I also thought Katherine's brief return was a waste.

With Lucy, I thought she came back a much stronger character and had potential to really mix things up. I don't understand what happened there. I wish she'd gone to Knots Landing at that point. I'm sure she would've spiced things up. The only time I really loved her was with Mickey. I know the actor died of AIDS a couple years later, but killing him off was such a foolish decision. He was perfect for Lucy.

• Members

I agree with you. The show wasn't the same once the two left. Cally was a hot mess. Michelle was an annoying little bitch!

I liked Donna taking over Bobby's share of Ewing Oil too. Katherine's return was wasted. It was used just to throw us off. (that she had kidnapped Pam). She lasted just two misely episodes.

I hated Lucy's return. It was a waste too. She didnt really have anything to do on the show. I liked her with Mickey too. I would have loved a triangle between Mitch/Lucy and Mickey.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I guess I can get carried away and just want them to go all out with the whole primetime soap universe. A new generation of Dynasty would be pretty flipping awesome. LB, Danny, Krystina, etc, running the show. The new generation Ewings could try to get a merger with the new generation Carringtons/Colbys.

• Members

One thing that disappointed me is that according to Pamela on Ultimate Dallas, the history with the Barnes family has been re-written and they aren't included at all. Originally Cliff and Afton's daughter Pamela Rebecca was included, but she's been re-written as someone unrelated. Weird since that fued was such a huge part of the original that they wouldn't include it or would try to re-write it.

In positive news, Ultimate Dallas said Larry Hagman is officially signed on.

Archived