North American Actors in Foreign Soaps

SFK

• Members

I really don't know much about the soaps of the UK, Africa, and Australia and beyond save for the odd episode of Eastenders on PBS, but have any American actors appeared in substantial roles in any of the soaps you all discuss in this forum? I got to thinking of this subject while in the Plastic Surgery of the Soap Stars thread. I have American friends who have studied drama in London (others from Africa who studied drama with me here in the states). My friends who studied in London all came back, and the programs they studied in were geared towards careers in the theatre anyway, but I wonder if there are examples of American actors who stuck around and pursued television careers in the UK.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow...I kid you not, I was planning to ask this very same question soon. I just didn't know where/how to post it :lol:

I don't know about the UK shows. As many hours as I've spent soaking in all things Corrie, I don't think I've come across any significant American characters. I know that one of Prisoner's longest-running characters was Judy Bryant, played by American actress Betty Bobbitt. But as for Corrie, EE, Emmerdale, etc...I can't think of a one.

I'm shocked Hollyoaks hasn't had one. I figure the setting of a community college would lend itself to at least one American character.

• Members

It's very difficult for Americans or people from non-EU countries to work in the UK and other EU countries, probably why I can't recall any examples. Also, keep in mind the settings of those shows, they don't lend themselves easily to Americans or people that aren't of significance of relevance to their settings.

• Members

Canadian actor Paul Maxwell played Elsie Tanner's second husband, the American Steve Tanner (the show didn't want Elsie to marry a man with a different name as they didn't want her to have to change her name, since she was so identified as Elsie Tanner). Elsie and Steve returned to the USA for a while (offcamera) and Elsie felt his family looked down on her. She returned to Weatherfield a broken woman. Steve eventually followed, but was murdered by a GI friend, Joe Danelli.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Maxwell

http://coronationstreet.wikia.com/wiki/Steve_Tanner

• Members

Jane Badler (Melinda OLTL,Natalie TD) was on Neighbours as she now resides in Australia.

One of the mature leads on the ancient Aussie soap The Young Doctors was Alfred Sandor who in the 60's appeared on Dark Shadows.

Richard Lawson who was on AMC as Lucas was brought to Australia to star in 'Hotel Story' which gained notoriety for being canned before it aired.Then it was shown with a 'you be the judge' type promotion.

• Members

Shelley Thompson, a Canadian actress most recently famous for Trailer Park Boys, spent many years in the UK. In February 1988 she played an abortion counselor who listened to Michelle Fowler. There was even a scene where Michelle asked if she was from America, and Shelley said no, Canada. Michelle replied, "Same thing."

• Members

I can't remember the actor or character name right now, but on Crossroads, in the late 70s, there was an American man, played by an American or Canadian actor, who met the show's matriachal anchor, Meg, as she was deep in mourning for her third husband, Hugh Mortimer. She was unable to leave her cabin, and would not even answer the phone or see anyone. He had car trouble and was quickly concerned about how lost she was, and, hiding his real profession of psychiatrist, he slowly helped work her through her grief as she slowly began to be able to plug the phone back in again and have visitors. There was some setback when she realized who he really was, but in the end she was able to go back into the real world and they became friends. It was a very subtly powerful storyline, the type that the show did more than once and never got credit for because it was derided as crap.

He stayed around for a few more years and had some other stories like one where he had to try to diagnose someone who had an attack in front of him, and the hotel doctor blamed him for a misdiagnosis. They went back and forth but ultimately became friends as well.

• 6 years later...
  • Members

Mark Arnold, who was on Edge of Night and One Life to Live, is apparently based in the UK now. I'm surprised he hasn't been on any of the soaps yet. I can see him on Emmerdale, in particular. Speaking of which wasn't Kathy supposed to run off with an American (Josh?) and was rudely interrupted by the Kurskov Airlines jet explosion? I wonder if the actor himself was from the US or Canada.

Just saw the Rachel Weisz film Denial and Todd Boyce is in it as an American TV news reporter.

• Members

That's his real voice. PJ is from Brooklyn.

I personally find it very interesting. I always pictures UK, Australian and Canadian actors appearing on US soaps, not the other way around. It's pretty cool. Although, I'm pretty sure some of the young US actors would love to be on a certain Canadian drama. 

Archived