Shortland Street

• Members

With all that is happening with Nicole, has this show ever had a nurses strike story?

It's so funny to me that petite Rachel really is such a force to be reckoned with. When Nicole was tearing into her, I was scared on her behalf. 

Kerry Dewing has been a phenomenal job with this breast cancer gene story. She has come such a long way, our Kylie has.

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Patricia Hewitt was CEO then, but Rachel was her 2IC and as such was involved in the story.

I don't remember most of the details of that story as I was a bit busy with Uni at the time but I do remember Toni (Harry's late mum) being ostracised for going against the strike and looking after her own interests.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

They're really throwing everything they can at poor Kylie these days. It's amazing how far she's come. The show does heroines so well. I never feel like any if them are especially weak at all. 

Victoria "we-ing" with Mo about Jack had my blood boiling. Margaret, where are thou? The day she arrives, those screams you hear will be mine.

• Members

At this point i'm wondering if Margaret will come back at all. Mo scenes with Cate seemed to be setting a storyline up for them once Victoria leaves.

Also if what I suspect is true, the new doctor should be very interesting.

Edited by Dion

• Members

Wow, I had no idea Chris had triplets out there somewhere. Here I thought that Finn would be some brother of Drew's that he kept quiet. I was focusing on the wrong cad, I suppose. Finn does seem like an exciting character to have on canvas though. I already like him, and it doesn't hurt to look at him either.

Would you want a Carrie return? 

Edited by Bright Eyes

• Members

Well I would have loved to have had Carrie back but as with Phoenix's mum Alison they first thing they did was kill her off! One of the tweets last night was that somebody should really warn Grace lol!

It's a long complicated story regarding the triplets. Basically Carrie was single but wanted a child. After being turned down for adoption she decided to go via Artificial Insemination. She approached her ex lover Michael McKenna (Rachel's father) first but he'd had a vasectomy so basically Carrie went around the clinic (as it was back then) soliciting donations. The father remained unknown, and during that time Carrie met and eloped with Declan Kennedy, father of Nurse Steve Mills (who was one of the potential fathers!). Carrie initially thought she was having twins but when the birth happened, it turned out there was an extra child, a girl named Sarah in addition to Frank and Finbar (Finn).

Being triplets, the babies were premature (I think about 30 weeks or something) and Sarah was especially poorly. Declan ended up fleeing or being arrested or something (not quite sure) for his dodgy dealings and Steve stepped in to help Carrie with the triplets, falling in love with her in the process. Carrie was eventually threatened by Declan's criminal associates and decided to move to Australia.

Months later, Chris made a mysterious trip to Australia. It was soon revealed that he was the father and he had gone to donate blood to Sarah who was in need of a transfusion. Steve, who had become convinced that he was the father, was devastated. This (and Chris' interest in a nurse Jo Jordan) led to Steve and Chris having a fateful argument in a car one day. The car crashed and Steve and Sam's first wife TP were killed.

Later on, Chris' then fiancee Tiffany was so upset by the attention that her furture in laws were giving to Guy and Carmen's child, that she ended up blurting out that they already had three other grandchildren. As Chris' father was dying, the Warner clan made a trip over to see Carrie and the triplets who were about two years old at that time. That, as far as we know, was the last time Chris saw them.

Edited by Dion

• Members

I hope one of the triplets turns out to be a villain. Chris dealing with a true bastard for a son could be fascinating and generate stories for years.

Even with her short speech scene Kerry Dewing got me a little emotional. It's truly fascinating and such a relief that characters actually evolve on this show. When Norelle took out this pills from her pulse, I gulped hard. This is going to be another devastating loss. Shortland Street is a cruel mistress.

It seems Lucy is the new welcome wagon. At least she has great taste. TK, Curtis, Ali, and Finn. Unlucky in love, yes ... in lust, she has it all.

Edited by Bright Eyes

• Members

So 120-ish episodes watched within the past year, I'm around the end of 2010 now. If I didn't watch more it's that I took a break after about 40 episodes then came back. Thankfully so, because this show is so worth the time. Intelligent and entertaining at the same time.
I am currently loving Brooke/Isaac, not that I ship couples but they're a great pair, I suppose it won't last though. I'm sad Isaac won't be around much longer as he's charming and witty, sexy too. Another great pair were Maxwell/Sarah (but I guess they're done now) and Rachel/Callum. Other than that I enjoy most characters. I loathed Scotty at first but now I find him appealing, I'm liking him with Tracey and currently I'm watching his mother being back into his life. Also I must say Luke is quite fascinating, I can't picture him with Bella, who I'm liking with Brodie. They had a great teen scene at the time with Ula, Phoenix and Evan. I hope Annette Freeman will return because the mini-alcoholism storyline is the first thing that kept me coming back.
I caved and started watching 2016 episodes too. It's still well-written from the three weeks I've seen. Too many changes to adjust to at first. I like Jack the most. The show looks much better too.

• Members

I hope you don't mind me telling you that Annette definitely returns, in and out, for the next couple of years. Brooke is my favourite character from the show. She never disappoints me and the writers seemed to truly love writing for her. I miss her so much.

Ula/Evan/Phoenix were quite good. Ula and Evan, especially, really matured and evolved over time. Something Shortland Street excels at doing with most characters on the show.

• Members

Wow that ending. I only saw the end of that storyline but good job everyone. Shortland Street between now and the 2010 (now 2011) episodes I'm watching might just be my favorite soap. Sadly so overlooked.

I don't know how I'm going to cope without Isaac, I think I only have three months left of him. The actor seems to be doing well in theatre, but I hope there is a small chance he might come back one day. Then again I don't know whether Isaac's dead. I'll have to see. Good to know Annette will be back.

The Gerald actor is a writer for the show now? Good for him, I miss Gerald.

• 2 weeks later...