December 26-30, 2005

Toups

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Your theory explains one day. We're talking a whole week. Actually, we're talking a whole month or so. Compared to last year (or every year prior), this was usually the time when shows ratings spiked for the year. As pointed out, B&B was the only show to reach a tie for it's year high ratings point (3.5...which btw, happened the first week of 2005!)

The holiday spike isn't a one week thing, but the week of Christmas or following Christmas normally brings soaps their highest numbers of the year. In 2004....(Thanksgiving week, 2004, 5 shows over a 3.0; 2nd & 3rd weeks of Dec 2004, 4 shows at 3.0 or higher; 4th week of Dec 2004, 5 shows over a 3.0, week between Xmas & New Years, 7 shows over 3.0; 1st week of 2005, 7 shows at 3.0 or better; 2nd week of Jan 2005, 6 shows at 3.0 or better; 3rd week of Jan 2005, 6 shows at 3.0 or better; 4th week of Jan 2005, 5 shows at 3.0 or better.)

And it's not just college kids (though they used to make up the biggest reason for the spike) but high school kids during their Christmas recess, people taking time off from work, and of course, good old mother nature. If there was a big east coast snow storm, numbers would usually jump up for all of tv.

In all the years I've been looking at daytime ratings, this is not a normal thing. Just like you expect snow in the winter, and heat in the summer, network executives would expect a jump in daytime viewership around the holidays, and this year, it's just not happening.

• Members

WOW, I Just came across these numbers from 2000

New Years Week

1. YOUNG AND RESTLESS - 6.3 (+.5)

2. BOLD AND BEAUTIFUL - 5.0 (+.7)

3. GENERAL HOSPITAL - 4.3 (+.5)

3. DAYS OF OUR LIVES - 4.3 (+.4)

5. AS THE WORLD TURNS - 4.1 (+.8)

6. GUIDING LIGHT - 4.0 (+.8)

7. ALL MY CHILDREN - 3.8 (+.5)

8. ONE LIFE TO LIVE - 3.7 (+.4)

9. PASSIONS 2.9 - (+.3)

10. PORT CHARLES - 2.2 (+.2)

It would be nice to see numbers like this again :mellow:

• Members

:o If only daytime could get back to that point. I am still shocked at those numbers. What I wouldn't give to see Days remain in the 3s, even if it's just a month. And PSNS one point away from a 3?! Amazing. Guess things really did go downhill once PC was no more.

Archived