ALL: Temporary Replacements

• Members

Yes, totally nuts, though we did not think a thing about it. In those days audiences more or less accepted such silliness as a unique convention to daytime, and of course, it was played straight. It wasn't done with a campy wink to the audience. No, when Julie Montgomery left the next time, Dorian Lopinto was just there as Sam one day.

• Replies 952
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

At the time of the switch,Larry stood by Sam's bedside saying he couldn't imagine what she's going through,when actually a decade before the character had been through a similar story- when Michael Wolek took over the role from his brother James. Larry was in a fire and had to have surgery.

I wonder why they bother with these stories when most times,the new actor simply shows up one day.It had already happened when James Storm replaced Paul Tulley.

• Members

Wanda was just WRONG in the part IMO. I will say that by the time I started watching in 85, Gina Gallego was playing Santana already. I have since seen episodes with Lazar & with Michaels. Lazar was beautiful but her acting was.....limited. Michaels was a nonentity. Don't get me wrong, I couldn't stand Gallego's Santana, but that only meant she was doing her job. She played all of those insecure qualities I mentioned so well. So when abrasive Wanda DeJesus came on in 1991 or 92, dressed in her ethnic dresses & acting like a Latin princess, I found the character unrecognizable. She's a decent actress I guess, but just not right for the part. Really, the directors should have been reining her in from jump.

Absolutely not because it's not true. JFP was there as a producer in SB's formative years & then became executive producer when the Dobsons were ousted. JFP 'got' SB and maintained the spirit, intelligence, and humor that was always there with her. John Conboy came on in 1990 & he began the ruination of Santa Barbara. Though I didn't like that he re-did the Capwell mansion, the set that was left after the renovation was still gorgeous. The show actually looked quite rich & gorgeous, but the writing went to sh!t. Truly, it was Paul Rauch that ruined the show- that man did not 'get' Santa Barbara AT ALL. Then Pam Long came on as headwriter in 1992 & brought Zimmer with her and THAT'S when it was ruined to the point of no return (which it never did).

She was. I didn't care for Megan & Greg, but I LOVED Lisa DiNapoli. Emily DiNapoli was ok too, but Celeste DiNapoli (Signy Coleman) SUCKED! I actually liked Heather Donnely & her father Arthur too. Michael, on the other hand, I could have done without. Ethan Asher was a bad idea designed to keep Leigh McCloskey, who played Eden's rapist Zack. Why they felt the need to do that I have no idead. But I enjoyed loony Laura Asher and her rivalry with Gina.

You want characters who sucked & a period that was a MESS? Try NuWarren (Jack Wagner), Jodie Walker, Sawyer Walker, BJ Walker, Aurora DiAngelis,Micah DiAngelis, Rafe Castillo, Katrina Ruyker, nuKelly (Eileen Davidson), Connor McCabe, Skyler Gates, nuSantana (Wanda DeJesus), Ken & Andie.....those characters were AWFUL! The only semi-interesting storyline in SB's final year was Ted's affair with Angela. The rest was utter sh!t.

I'd agree with the John Conboy assessment, but I really liked the Eden/Kelly feud over Robert. It made sense that Kelly would eventually begin to resent Eden, since she was clearly CC's favorite & got the most attention from the family. But really, Kelly had a leg to stand on there because she truly loved Robert & he her, but Eden wanted her cake & to eat it too. She was married to & loved Cruz, but she was almost toying with Robert & always interfering in his relationship with Kelly. Plus, that's where Carrington Garland truly came into her own as the character. I'd always liked her, but she really came alive during that storyline. The only real complaint I've ever had with the Dobsons' leadership on SB was their hasty decision to fire Carrington Garland & bring on Eileen Davidson as Kelly. She was just awful & completely miscast, though it didn't help matters that TPTB decided to pair her with Cruz.

She did do the rape storyline, but you have the dates of her being EP wrong- she was EP from 1987-1990, then it was Conboy from 1990-1991, and finally Paul Rauch from 1991-1993.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Three more in 1977

AW

John Aprea,who would later appear as Lucas,replaced David Ackroyd as Dave Gilchrist while Ackroyd filmed a pilot called 'Exo-Man'

AMC

Humphrey Davies subbed for Hugh Franklin as Charles Tyler when Franklin had a gall bladder attack and was hospitalized.

OLTL Susan McArthur replaced Kathy Glass as Jenny

Edited by Paul Raven

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

He was brought in because RKK left the show very abruptly. Thomas pinch hit for those episodes until Sam could be written out temporarily. He'd been Derek on ATWT the year before. I'm not sure if it was ever supposed to be more than that or not. Probably not.

• Members

OMG I thought I was the only one who remembered such odd letters like that! I specifically remember that letter because years later I looked up that casting despite it not being a soap I watched. I use to love that section when I was a SOD subscriber in the late 90s. SOD would give some great informative answers with pictures to boot, yet some of those questions could be kooky, especially the ones disclosing dinner bets.

• Members

I remember that letter vaguely I think. I'd forgotten the magazines used to post kind of crazy letters at times. I can't remember most of them. One I do remember, not because it was really crazy but just because it represented for me one of the reasons GH probably lost some of the old during the Labine period, was a fan who wrote in a letter saying that Stone from GH should be cured of AIDS by crystal fragments found on an adventure - I guess because this is the type of story GH might have done in the Monty era (not with AIDS but with some generic soap disease). I think Labine or Riche responded to the letter and basically said they were committed to telling what actually happens when someone is dying from AIDS.

Edited by CarlD2