ALL: Temporary Replacements

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

That must be on the second link, I only have the first link with all the Iris stuff, some of which has been uploaded to YouTube. I didn't even know that Cecile was on the show when Iris was still around.

• Members

Carl, I think you said that you've seen the stuff with Carole Shelley, I have yet to see that. What's your take? I think I remember you saying that she was a bit *theatrical*. She would not be my choice for Iris but she was nevertheless a casting coup coming off of her The Elephant Man glory. Would have loved to see Sandy Dennis as Iris, she and Beverlee both did Honey in WAOVW.

• Members

I'll have to look for the Iris stuff. I wihs I had watched more of that AOL Video channel, it never worked on my computer...

I remember Carole as flapping her arms and being very animated, although I guess that was also the material for Iris at that time (she was being taken hostage at one point). It was a bit more like Liz Taylor meets Mrs. Roper.

There would be no Cecile if not for Iris. I was hoping they would interact more when Cecile returned in 1989 but I think they just tossed a few verbal grenades at each other.

Joel Fabiani (who has always kind of bored me) was a temp recast for Roger Thorpe wasn't he?

• Members

On DOOL, Nancy Stephens only appeared a couple of times and Carla Borell's stint was also short.Not sure why,but in those days,many DOOL performers started out recurring.If they clicked they were put on contract,so it appears the producers were not happy with Stephens or Borelli.

The Susan Keller recast was another story.I'll have to check why Stanger was replaced,returned and replaced again(By Melinda Fee).

• Members

"It was a bit more like Liz Taylor meets Mrs. Roper."

HILARIOUS. And I can totally picture that. :lol:

Yes, Fabiani subbed for Zaslow, I mentioned that in my first post in this thread, and indeed, he was a rather sleepy Roger as he was a rather sleepy Jared Chase, King Galen, Barry Shire... One of these days I will get to uploading stuff I have on YouTube, I have scenes of him with Sherry Stringfield and Beverlee McKinsey.

I feel like wry, smug Trevor St. John is more MZ Roger Thorpe than any of his age-appropriate recasts were.

• Members

Oops I missed that SFK, sorry.

Melinda Fee has always seemed like a somewhat odd actress to me...distinctive yet not all that memorable, if that makes any sense. I feel like I have probably never seen her best work -- she was very good in that Love of Life episode saynotoursoap put up. Points to her for playing out Mary's death scenes in a maid's uniform she was too old for.

On SFT, were Stephen Joyce and Terry Logan unsuccessful attempts to replace Ken Kercheval?

On SS, was Margaret Barker a temp when Marjorie Gateson fell ill?

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

I know what you mean about Melinda. Years before I actually saw it I'd read others' comments that she was too old for Jill at the time she played her. On WoST there was an ep from whatever soap she'd done back in the day, I'm forgetting which one at the moment, but she seemed to be very much in the Rachel Davis mold of character. Interesting seeing as how she and Victoria Wyndham both played Charlotte Bauer on GL. That's another character I'd like to see in action. I'd also like to see Margie Impert's Rachel. Margie was in the first episode of Santa Barbara:

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/CA1i1K45gCs&hl=en_US&fs=1&start=345rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/CA1i1K45gCs&hl=en_US&fs=1&start=345rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/CA1i1K45gCs&hl=en_US&fs=1&start=345rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

• Members

SOE lists a number of women as playing ATWT's Susan Burke Stewart before Marie Masters. How many of these were attempts at permanent recasts and how many were stopgaps? Connie Scott was 66-67, Diana Walker (there she is again!) 1967, Jada Rowland (had she left Secret Storm?) 67-68, Leslie Perkins 1968.

As Annie Stewart, was Randall Edwards just a temporary recast?

• Members

Please tell me Santana wasn't on there long. That acting makes her more like Satana. And that CC, yikes.

I cannot see that Margie Impert as Rachel, she seems to have little sensuality and could barely say her lines. She's very mousy, she kind of reminds me of the one from the Go-Gos who was on the Surreal Life and was shot in Clue.

I'd also love to see Charlotte, especially the story with Kit Vested.

Was the episode you saw with Melinda Fee the Love of Life episode where her character leaves Rosehill?

• Members

I don't know much about Santana or SB for that matter but just watching that again made me think of how utterly soapy it all was, first of all a name like SANTANA, all that '80s California glam, Dame Judith Anderson in the vintage Rolls complete with riding crop and funky cello, what it must have been like to watch this first episode "live" that day...

ITA re: Margie, I had to bend my brain a little to see the Strasser resemblance which apparently won her the part. LOL at the GoGos reference, I know just what (who) you mean. Jane something... "'I. Am. Your singing telegram!' *POW!*"

Yes, that must have been the Melinda ep I saw, it was in b&w kinescope.

• Members

You can almost taste the coke that went into the episode...

No, I'm kidding.

It's definitely very glam, back when networks still had hope for soaps. Judith Anderson brings such a kick to her scenes. And Lane Davies is effortless. I just have to ignore the people around him.

They cast her because she looked like Robin? Wow. OK...apparently she was so much like her they had to ask Robin to come back.

To be fair to her I've never actually seen a photo of her as Rachel. There is a mousy photo on AWHP and I was stunned, but then I read that it was from a Highway to Heaven episode.

Edited by CarlD2