ALL: Temporary Replacements

• Members

Well I don't know if this one's been mentioned or not but I didn't see it on the list but Mira Sorvino was a temporary replacement for Jocelyn Seagrave back in 1991/1992 as Julie on GL. A clip of Sorvino as Julie was shown during a montage during that terrible fiasco CBS AT 75 back in 2003.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

P&G replaced Jensen Buchanan with Cynthia Watros in 98 when contract negotiations fell apart on AW. Of course they staged the whole thing to make it seem like Jensen was having this important surgery when months prior she was complaining about her contract. That was the biggest stunt casting of the year and I finally became a Vicky fan.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

More Temps From Another World From The AW Home Page

Lauren Beatty for Gail Brown As Clarice Ewing March 21-24, 1981

Whitford Connor for Charles Baxter As Fred Douglas 1969

Jimmy McQuaid For Steven Trent Clarke As Steven Frame On April 23, 1998

Joan McClintock For Judith Barcroft As Lenore Moore On Jan 25 & 29, 1971

William Darrow McMillian For Robert Doran As Jamie Frame On March 18, 1976

William Darrow McMillian For Mike Hammett As Dennis Wheeler On March 11, 1977

Julie Nathanson For Lisa D Brenner As Maggie Cory From September To October 1996 When Lisa Brenner Had A Death In The Family

Sandy Schwartz For Trevor Richard As Kevin Thatcher From March-April 1984

Tom Spackman For Dack Rambo as Grant Harrison On September 17 1991. NOTE: Dack Rambo lasted aired as Grant the following Day, September 18 1991. Mark Pinter Assumed The Role Of Grant Harrison On September 27 1991

Anne Torseglieni For Christine Tucci As Amanda Cory In September 1993

Lauren Toub For Lindsay Lohan As Alli Fowler On July 10, 11, 21 & 22 & August 14 1997. This Was When Lohan Went Off To Film The Parent Trap. Lindsay Didn't Return & AW Wrote Alli Off Till They Aged Her In 1999 & Cast Alicia Leigh Willis

• Members

I remember in the mid 90's, it seemed every other week they printed a question asking, "What are the names of the actresses who play the role Abby Deveraux on Days of Our Lives?" I'm convinced it was a family member constantly asking just to see their darling daughters/nieces/whatever's names in print.

• Members

Poor Jeff Meeks was a temporary replacement for Craig Montgomery on ATWT, though he had been given a contract for the role.

Scott Bryce was a temporary replacement for Craig Montgomery, though he had originated the role, and though he had been given a contract for the role.

• Members

Are you including just daytime temporary replacements?? If not then here is one from primetime:

Donna Reed was a temporary replacement for Barbara Bel Geddes as Miss Ellie on Dallas. I think this was around the time Bel Geddes had open heart surgery.

I saw it mentioned about Lane Davies being a recast for Ronn Moss on B&B.

I am trying to think of some others I remember while I'm on my lunch break...I'll keep thinking.

• Members

Another temporary recast I remembered was Anthony Adabbo, who temporarily took over the role of Dimitri Marick on All My Children in April 2001 after the network let Michael Nader go for selling cocaine to an undercover police officer.

Shane McRae was a temporary recast in the role of Paul Cramer in 2004 on One Life to Live.

In 2000, Felicity LaFortune was a temporary recast in the role of Nora Buchanan.

In the '80's, Justin Deas was a temporary replacement for Gerald Anthony in the role of Marco Dane on One Life to Live.

Sydney Penny was a temporary recast for Susan Ward in the role of Meg on Sunset Beach in 1999.

Carmen Duncan (Iris, AW) filled in for Eileen Fulton as Lisa on As The World Turns in 2004, when Fulton was out on emergency medical leave.

Betty Runnell was a temporary recast in the role of Nancy Hughes on As The World Turns throughout 1988/89.

Graham Winton temporary replacement for Michael Morrison in the role of Caleb Snyder on As The World Turns in 1989.

Lisa Robbins was a temporary replacement for Lisa Brown in the role of Iva Snyder on As The World Turns in 1992.

Edited by AmandainNC28655

• Members

I'd love to see that.

I think Donna Reed claimed she was not a temporary replacement, or she thought she wasn't anyway. I believe that for a while they really did believe Barbara Bel Geddes wasn't coming back. Then when she agreed to return, they fired Donna, which is why she sued.

• Members

Yeah, regardless of what they were thinking unbeknownst to her, the gig wasn't sold to DR as a temporary one. I read once that her family believed losing Dallas is what did her in. She was so upset about her firing and how she'd been treated while on the show. They lit her poorly, she complained about having no key light, and they did nothing to remedy it. It's like they wanted her miserable and I don't get why unless they eithe rknew BBG was interested in coming back or they wanted no Miss Ellie at all. This is from the Dallas site:

2.8 What is Donna Reeds side of the story?

According to her biography:

Larry Hagman got Donna Reed fired from "Dallas" because she was too good. That's the shocking claim of a new biography of the Oscar-winning actress. Reed was hired with much fanfare in 1984 to replace Barbara Bel Geddes as Ewing family matriarch Miss Ellie. But when she proved she could hold her own with Hagman, she started getting the cold shoulder from "Dallas" most powerful cast member. "There were muted signs that Hagman was not happy with her," says Jay Fultz, author of "In Search Of Donna Reed."

Once when Patrick Duffy playfully asked if he could call her "Mama," she overheard Hagman mutter, "Well, she isn't my Mama." Other cast mates, wary of upsetting Hagman, also began to shun Reed. The tension often drove her to tears until her husband finally suggested she

leave the show. "I am not a quitter!" she defiantly replied.

Producers drastically reduced her role and resorted to dirty tricks, such as refusing to let Reed view rushes of her early episodes. She quickly discovered why: They had filmed her to appear years older. "The harsh lighting is deliberate and mean as can be," Reed wrote. "She felt ambushed," adds Fultz.

Reed was fired in 1985, while vacationing in Paris. Producers not only made her agent deliver the bad news, but expected her to issue a press release saying she had only intended to be on the show for a year. In reality she had just signed a two year extension.

"Donna refused to participate in such dishonesty," says Fultz. She went to court and won every penny producers had promised her on her contract. Reed minced no words about who she felt was responsible for her firing: "I don't think Larry Hagman liked a strong actress playing his mother-he wanted A FAT WADDLING BROWN WREN OF A WOMAN WHO BLINKS A LOT," she wrote a friend. "Nobody ever said showbiz was easy, fair, fun or filled with nice people," she added, "'Dallas' is the pits, obviously."

No disrespect to the late, great BBG, but that line is full of WIN.

• Members

I kind of wonder if she was right about Hagman not wanting a mother who would stand up to him. I remember that Schemering, and perhaps some others, said that Miss Ellie eventually became very docile and even when JR did absolutely horrific things to the family, she would just say "Oh, JR," and look disappointed. This was after Hagman and the other guy had taken over the reins.

• Members

That's interesting... and weird. I've also read that he wanted his own mother, Mary Martin, to take over for BBG. Maybe some mommy issues he was looking to act out, I dunno. I think that's really pushing it if not even your character's MOTHER can get after you. If anything, that would only play into Jacobs' original concept of his character, the hard-working, "responsible" son who could never measure up to his golden boy little brother a la Gooper and Brick in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

Edited by SFK

• Members

Someone (forget who) remarked that Donna Reed fit the image of a strong-willed Texas matriarch a lot better than Barbara Bel Geddes, and I tend to agree. (No disrespect to Ms. Bel Geddes or her fans.) Ironically, though, BBG was the first actress to portray the sultry "Maggie the Cat" in the original Broadway production of Tennessee Williams' "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof," and many say her performance, more than any other's, was definitive.