ALL: They Almost Became

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

These are some wild almost castings that could've changed the course of their shows. Jessica Tuck as Kit?? Eileen as Laurel #1? Eileen as Gabrielle, during Gottlieb's OLTL?? Wow. (I had heard Michael Malone wanted Fiona back when he came to OLTL but she'd already jumped to CBS, but that's all I'd ever heard about them considering bringing Gabrielle back in that era - especially as they'd committed to Max and Luna.)

The Kin Shriner reveal makes so much sense. Pierce as originally envisioned was an irascible mountain man.

• Members

I see what you're saying. But Kit would have been an awful character for anyone to play: She showed up, revealed herself to be Jackson's "dead" sister (right after he was out-of-the-blue talking about her death), basically acted like a bitch to any PV resident she crossed, made everyone hate her, then was raped so that viewers were supposed to suddenly like her, but no one cared. 

Add Lee Hawkins (AKA poor man's Ray Gardner), his daughter-by-day / ghost-of-dead-wife-by-night Camile, suddenly-psychic Mateo, his never before-mentioned wife / baby-mama Raquel (he didn't see HER coming!), resurrected-just-for-comedy Mike Roy, and the hysterical conclusion of Brooke's storyline with Jim Thomasen... 1998 was the first time in AMC's history that it became a legitimate hot mess. 

• Members

To add some context, ABC was going after ED right before Gottlieb & Malone came on. Max was still Nicholas Walker (sigh), strangely paired with Yasmine Bleeth's Leeann. That would have put Eileen co-starring with her real life ex-BF.  I wonder, if she had happened on OLTL, if Blair might have been rendered unnecessary at that time.

With Kin, he "tested" with Robin, who of course really wanted him to come on - but that test was really for him, to get a feel of Pierce and what he's be taking on. One of the things he sort of jokingly (but maybe he meant it?) griped about was the intense dialog. Remember around this time, scenes were really being written with the character layer-shedding in mind. What Kin read with Robin was an emotional scene in the cabin that ultimately aired with James Fitzpatrick, where he pretty much delivered a monologue. Still good, but would have been far more awesome with Shriner.

Edited by YurSoakinginit

• Members

Did they even MENTION Kit/Christine again once she'd left PV?

Oh, Lord, I forgot all about Raquel.  The first actress who played her, Carolyn Neff, was green as hell; and the second actress, Ara Celi, was just boring.  I was so glad when they finally wrote her off, lol.

• Members

The post you're responding to is from 9 years ago, but I'm gonna take a stab in the dark that DRW50 meant Kelly Rutherford - who played Megan on Melrose Place (and Sam on Generations). Buchanan was in re-negotiation in 1994. AW was negotiating right back, holding auditions for her recast and making overtures to people like Karen Witter - who'd just left OLTL as Tina, as well as Grace Phillips - who had replaced Buchanan on OLTL as Sarah two years earlier (ouch). Of course, Anne Heche's name was tossed around, too.

Obviously, JB & AW came to an agreement and she was back on-air. Three years later, re-negotiations would happen again, and AW took a big step further by simply temp-recasting Vicky with Cynthia Watros (double-ouch).

As for Ellen Wheeler, she actually screen tested the role(s) in 1991, and they chose JB over her. At this time, they just weren't interested in going back to her.