Announcement: New Memberships Suspended

"Secret Storm" memories.

Brent

• Members
1 hour ago, robbwolff said:

A John Kelly Genovese article online from back in 1979 claims that Ken Stevens died in a car accident. The article covers some of the final storylines, including Laurie and Mark moving into a supposedly haunted house.

Thanks!  I don’t know why I can’t remember that because Joel Crothers was the reason I started watching in the first place.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
1 hour ago, robbwolff said:

A John Kelly Genovese article online from back in 1979 claims that Ken Stevens died in a car accident. The article covers some of the final storylines, including Laurie and Mark moving into a supposedly haunted house.

Thanks, robb. I don't recall the haunted house, but wasn't watching the show much then. The big storyline at the end involved artificial insemination. Kevin (David Ackroyd) had become paralyzed, but was excited because his wife Amy (Jada may have returned by then) was pregnant. Unfortunately, Amy lost the baby. She begged her doctor, Dr. Brian Neeves (Jeff Pomerantz) to help her get artificial insemination. Without telling her, Brian used the most available donor: himself. Of course, he was also in love with Amy, much to the chagrin of his rather creepy sister Niele (Betsy von Furstenberg), who seemed unnaturally attached to her brother. Her name was pronounced Nee-ELL. The show ended happily with a no longer paralyzed Kevin making his way across the room to Amy.

• Members
2 hours ago, Nicholas Blair said:

Thanks, robb. I don't recall the haunted house, but wasn't watching the show much then. The big storyline at the end involved artificial insemination. Kevin (David Ackroyd) had become paralyzed, but was excited because his wife Amy (Jada may have returned by then) was pregnant. Unfortunately, Amy lost the baby. She begged her doctor, Dr. Brian Neeves (Jeff Pomerantz) to help her get artificial insemination. Without telling her, Brian used the most available donor: himself. Of course, he was also in love with Amy, much to the chagrin of his rather creepy sister Niele (Betsy von Furstenberg), who seemed unnaturally attached to her brother. Her name was pronounced Nee-ELL. The show ended happily with a no longer paralyzed Kevin making his way across the room to Amy.

Here’s the Genovese article that describes the haunted house story:

https://www.welovesoaps.net/2015/07/remembering-woodbridge-the-secret-storm-10.html?m=1

• Members
On 9/27/2021 at 8:21 PM, Nicholas Blair said:

Laurie (Stephanie Braxton) had been married to Ken (Joel Crothers), and I don't recall how Ken exited the show. Braxton and Crothers were both excellent in a storyline about two people who really weren't in love but were trying to make the best of their marriage, with it even being possible that they might eventually fall in love. Some subtle writing and acting there.

Toward the end of the SS run, a new HW dragged out the old girl-who-falls-for-a-priest storyline. David Gale played the priest, Gary Sandy was his younger brother, and Frances Sternhagen was the woman who had raised them. IIRC, Gary Sandy tries to attack Laurie; it's in a barn, so the priest grabs a pitchfork; Frances Sternhagen rushes in to try to separate the two men and accidentally gets fatally stabbed by the pitchfork. Stephanie Braxton and David Gale played this material well. I believe the couple separated at the end of the show and he went back to being a priest.

They also used the priest for the old "I Confess" storyline, as handyman Riley (Joe Ponazecki), previously a good guy and a source of comic relief, kidnaps a baby (? this may not be right) and confesses to the priest, knowing the priest will be obligated not to tell.

I was not too fond of the show at this time. Some of the actors who had kept me interested when I first started watching--Terry Kiser, Jada Rowland, Joel Crothers, Barbara Rodell, Judy Lewis, Linden Chiles among them--were gone. Marla Adams as Belle was still making trouble, always a good thing, and I did like new additions to the cast Bernard Barrow, Dan Hamilton, David Ackroyd, Jeff Pomerantz, and Betsy von Furstenberg.

I wonder about Betsy Von Furstenberg her character Niele Neeves didn't have much result in my search, I understood she was involved in the artificial insemination storyline

• Members

Laurie had been one of the "other women" who was in love with a married woman.   She was not a villianess, but she did manage to get Ken away from Jill.

This was possibly the first time that I had seen the other woman gain the man she loved as a husband and they became a beloved couple.

I remember Betsy von Furstenberg from the show and remember thinking that she strongly resembled Eileen Fulton of As the World Turns (who she later replaced).    I read here that she was the sister of Dr. Neeves (Jeffry David Pomeranz, Keith Charles), but I really remember very little of her place in the storyline.

• Members
2 hours ago, danfling said:

Laurie had been one of the "other women" who was in love with a married woman.   She was not a villianess, but she did manage to get Ken away from Jill.

This was possibly the first time that I had seen the other woman gain the man she loved as a husband and they became a beloved couple.

I remember Betsy von Furstenberg from the show and remember thinking that she strongly resembled Eileen Fulton of As the World Turns (who she later replaced).    I read here that she was the sister of Dr. Neeves (Jeffry David Pomeranz, Keith Charles), but I really remember very little of her place in the storyline.

IIRC, Niele didn't interact much with anyone but her brother, whom she did not want to get involved with Amy. She was not paired up with any of the men and did not have a lot of airtime. I thought Betsy von Furstenberg was very good when she replaced Eileen Fulton the first time, but then didn't seem as strong or as involved when she returned to play Lisa another time.

• Members
9 hours ago, Nicholas Blair said:

IIRC, Niele didn't interact much with anyone but her brother, whom she did not want to get involved with Amy. She was not paired up with any of the men and did not have a lot of airtime. I thought Betsy von Furstenberg was very good when she replaced Eileen Fulton the first time, but then didn't seem as strong or as involved when she returned to play Lisa another time.

Well maybe if the show was on air longer they would find something decent for her to do, but who knows

And thank you everyone for the insights I guess so many questions are pretty boring 

• Members
3 hours ago, amybrickwallace said:

How was an artificial insemination story even received in 1973? That must have been interesting.

My impression is that it was well enough received. After all, Amy was a married woman, and she intended to raise the child with her husband. Because Kevin, who was paralyzed, had so looked forward to their having a child, Amy believed that he would become deeply depressed if he knew about her miscarriage. (And apparently he couldn't count to nine, but let's not think about that.) So the writers had come up with ways to make the artificial insemination more acceptable. This was not the case of a single woman wanting to have a child alone. By 1973 artificial insemination would have been generally acceptable for infertile couples.

The combination of a somewhat daring topic and a good old soap opera noble heroine probably made this work for many viewers. I don't recall exactly when Jada Rowland returned, but I remember Lynne Adams having a scene where she was excited about getting the artificial insemination. Robbwolff mentioned a scene where Lynne is having a baby shower. Did Lynne get the sperm but Jada had the baby? That's what I don't recall.