"Secret Storm" memories.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Alan and Ann do not marry. Alan and Ann's affair ended with Ann leaving town and marrying her psychiatrist according to the Remembering Woodbridge article from several years back. Also, I could have sworn I read an article about Ann leaving abruptly when Diana Muldaur was cast in a play. I can find articles from August 1965 about her being cast in a play, but nothing about her leaving. It actually says Muldaur is continuing in the role of Ann, but then I don't have any more mentions of her in the paper as appearing on the show. 

• Members

Paul Raven mentioned that Max Wylie wrote for the show. Wylie and Winsor seemed to have stayed in touch. It is Wylie's book that has the script and projection for "Love of Life" from Robert J. Shaw and Roy Winsor. 

The show weaved the characters in and out of the story, but Winsor's planned mass exodus doesn't really seem to play out the way it was described here. The Rysdale contingent seems to fade from the show about 1965, but that may have had to do with backstage dealings. In the 1960s, Haila Stoddard became more and more involved in the theatre as a producer. I know she leaves on mutually agreed upon absences for periods of time, but also seems to be willing to return to the show for some brief bits. I think the Kip / Janet affair is the last major story for Arthur Rysdale. He and Pauline do return later on. In the fall of 1964, right after this projection is written, David O'Brien quits "The Secret Storm" and Edward Griffiths is hired as the new Kip. The show seems to pursue the Kip / Janet angle as the longterm story with Kip and Janet ending in 1965 with Janet leaving as well as Kip (I believe). When Janet returns in 1966, she is involved with Tony Porter and gains a stepdaughter, Wendy. In the fall of 1966, the show brings on Julie Mannix as the second Wendy Porter to pursue a triangle with Janet and Kip. Janet's return sounds rather compelling. It's a shame the show never saw fit to bring her back a third time and have her in the middle of the Belle / Amy saga. 

Amy's story changes as well. The return of Paul Britton doesn't seem to appear to play out as outlined as Amy and Paul do reunite and do marry. Amy and Paul are written out at the end of 1966. What is interesting is Amy is out of town when they kill off Peter Ames. I wonder if they brought someone in as Amy or if Amy simply missed the service. Based on the Remembering Woodbridge article, it would seem that Amy sort of mellows after this. 

Ann ends up leaving, but I think Alan stays around for a couple of years. When the story was outlined, Mary Foskett was still playing Susan, but by the fall, she has left and Frances Helm briefly appears before Judy Lewis takes over by the years' end. It is Lewis who plays the Ann / Alan story and plays Susan the alcoholic. I know Lewis talked about being happy that she would be able to reduce her episode guarantee after her first year because she felt she was being played a lot as Susan. Similarly, Bibi Besch spoke about having a 1-episode a week guarantee and a six-month contract during her first run on the show that they blew through rather quickly. 

The show does play the Janet / Jerry angle, and I believe even a brief Janet / Alan angle, before resetting Jerry. By late 1965, he becomes involved with Hope Crandall, Pamela Raymond's artist character, and their romance is pretty heavy for the next year with John Colicos being introduced as the gallery owner Matthew Devereaux. Colicos leaves in June, 1966, and I don't think Hope and Jerry leave much long after that. 

In terms of characters being introduced, Janet's husband Dr. Tony Porter meets the medical role that Winsor outlined, but it would be only conjecture to assume his character was an outcome of the conversation had regarding where Winsor saw the series heading. The TV station angle does get some immediate play with Peter Ames becoming involved with the station. Also, when she appears, Ann Wicker is now a television personality. After Wicker leaves, Peter becomes involved with George Bennett, a producer, and Brooke Lawrence, his assistant. Julie Wilson is only on for about thirteen weeks as Brooke and manages to kill George, attempt to seduce Peter Ames, and then dies in a battle with Valerie as outlined by Brent in an earlier post. The Brooke Lawrence story was from June until September 1966 unless she was kept on a bit longer. The political angle may have morphed into the mob angle with the Casey Arnold story which would have played out in 1965-1966. 

• Members

To me, the Belle/Amy fued was perfect, and I cannot think of how another complication would have helped the show.

What I did not like was how Belle was temporarily in jail (being accused of murdering Keefer), and she and Paul had a sort-of reunion.    However, as soon as she was released, Paul left the show.   I sought a better resolution.    One would have been a Paul-Belle-Dan triangle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Haven't been on this site in ages. The Winsor memo is fascinating! I clearly recall the Brooke vs. Valerie struggle. Perhaps I'm repeating myself, but I even remember a line of dialogue (of Lori March) : "Brooke, you haven't a sparkle of honesty in you." They struggled with a letter opener and Brooke was killed. Also Brooke, (whether this was the same day or not) stabbed herself with some scissors, (as a pretext to lure someone over to assist her) She phoned someone and said she was bleeding and "hadn't an antiseptic in the house." Funny what 9 year olds remember!

Would love to see a still of Marjorie Gateson's drawing room from that show--especially with Margaret Hamilton serving tea. Maybe one is buried in some ancient TV/Radio mag somewhere?

Remember Wendy Porter too and of course,  the actress who played her Julie Mannix turned up on the "Best of Everything" a few years later. Low ratings or not, that was an intriguing show. It was produced by Jacqueline Babbin who had earlier been involved in some really distinguished stuff, what the masses would call "high brow." "Best of E..." had some very good writing, and 3 bonified movie stars. Imagine Sondegaard, Fitzgerald, and McCormack on one daytime serial. The sets were by Kim Swados, whom had also been involved in some very fine productions, (sometime, if you like old live TV, check out Miriam Hopkins and Elizabeth Montgomery in "Studio One" ep. "Summer Pavilion" written by Gore Vidal--sets by Swados--excellent stuff, and Elizabeth Montgomery was quite a dish in 1955!)

Let's all hope that at least a few kinescopes of "SS" emerge in future or (dare we hope) original video masters for the post 1967 period.

All Best,

Brent

• Members

@Brent, it's always good to see you pop in. I hope more "Secret Storm" material pops up.

Episodes aired in Australia, on and off, from January 1968 until at least November 1971. I believe it was two separate runs, a brief eight month run in 1968, and a longer run starting in January 1969. I could only find episode summaries for one week in February, 1970, but here they are:

Friday, February 20, 1970: Valerie and Peter forget their disagreement over Janet.
Monday, February 23 1970: Wendy's friend cross-examines her about her date with Kip
Tuesday, February 24, 1970: Unknown to Janet, Wendy keeps her date with Kip.
Wednesday, February 25, 2970: Janet declares that the past will not be revived.
Thursday, February 26, 1970: Wendy lies to her parents.

Janet / Kip / Wendy would be 1967 - 1968 I believe. I know the other, more vague descriptions, talk about the show being about a newspaper columnist looking to change his life or something. I'd assume this is Frank Carver?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...