"Secret Storm" memories.

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks. What a wonderful surprise. I'd never seen this episode before. I remember reading about how different Secret Storm was to other soaps of the day, and I can kind of see that here, especially with the Debbie and Jerry scenes. That was also a bit more passionate of a kiss than I'd expected for this era...

IMDB says Walter Bellinger played Jerry at this time, but there's no credit here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

New York Times Jan 18 1974

‘SECRET STORM’ STILLED BY C.B.S.

“The Secret Storm,” the daytime soap opera, will end a 20‐year run on the Columbia Broadcasting System's television network Feb. 8, having been canceled for a new celebrity game show, “Tattletales.”

However, the five‐a‐weekl drama serial will continue on television with original episodes under an unusual syndication arrangement with American Home Products, a sponsor whose product line includes Anacin, Gulden's Mustard, Chef Boy‐ar‐dee Foods and Preparation H.

Viewers in New York will scarcely notice the cancellation, since the syndicated version has been accepted by the C.B.S. station, WCBS‐TV, Channel 2. “Secret Storm” will complete its network run in the 4 P.M. time period on a Friday, and will resume on the station the following Monday, Feb. 11, at 1 P.M., with the syndicated episodes.

American Home Products is placing the soap opera on close to 140 stations across the country under an exchange plan known in the broadcast trade as “barter.”

In such an arrangement, the station receives the program without charge in exchange for carrying a negotiated number of the sponSor's commercials. The sponsor pays for the production and distribution of the show but not for the advertising time on the stations.

“Secret Storm” stars Maria Adams, Keith Charles, Lori March and Jade Rowland.

The program replacing it on C.B.S. will form a 90‐minute afternoon game‐show block, with “The Price Is Right” and “Match Game” preceding it. All three are produced bY Goodson‐Todman Productions.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I am asking a question about Susan - or, more specifically, her second husband.   I remember that Lawrence Luckinbill played Mr. Carver (whose husband I cannot remember), but I seem to remember that Susan was single by the time that Alan Dunbar returned from Korea.   What happened to Mr. Carver?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

A letter to the NY TImes from then headwriter Bethel Leslie July 25 1971

To THE EDITOR:

After you have been writing a daytime television serial for close to a year, even being unfavorably compared with Ingmar Bergman (Vincent Canby's recent review of “The Touch”) is a step in the right direction.

It is clear to us, after read ng said review, that Canby sits down every afternoon at 3 o'clock to watch “The Secret Storm.” Obviously, the man is hooked.

On behalf of the cast, crew, fellow‐writers and other journeymen of “Storms” — past, present and future—we thank him for his patronage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...