Christina Aguilera – Bionic Woman

Sylph

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I really think something weird happened behind the scenes. I've played through a download (shh) of this album, and while I've never been a fan of hers, I have liked some of her music. But it's like half of the album was Xtina wanting to do what she wanted--and that scared the label so they forced some more "commercial" songs onto it. It's all over the place--yet nothing on it is all that good. I see none of the songs Goldfrapp wrote for her (and then got pissed off because she refused to reportedly let them produce them for her) made the album. It's nice to see Peaches and Sia both did, but, the tracks on first listen are as underwhelming as the try-hard-but-doesn't-even-have-a-decent-hook first single.

And she just canceled her tour (which was THEATRES, not stadiums) due to lack of interest. I almost feel sorry for her. I also just read a review of Alexandra Burke's surprisingly great album (which I expect will be a huge crossover hit for her when she releases it in the US this Fall) where a number of critics said the album shoulda been what Xtina was doing. LOL

• Members

But she used to have some? I mean people seemed to (at least somewhat) care when she was a pop starlet? And then when she went all "dirrty" people undeniably talked about it. Her last world tour is one of the top 10 grossing female tours EVER. So, what happened? I know her last album wasn't massive, but it was her GH with that Superbitch song that people seemed t first be truly ambivalent about her (I think it sold 200,000 or something).

• Members

Not really, she never had much of it. At first she got lucky because it was the trend. britany/christia/mandy/jessica/etc... all hit it big. then she did something different and when dirrty and used some rappers and that strung her along. her last album did well because she used her talent and it was marketed greatly, with a gimmick.

As for her touring, if you look at that list you will see they are all recent tours, because of ticket prices. I seen her in tour with justin timberlake and id never go see her again. she was horrid. out of breath, struggling, etc... i hope this tour that did so well was just her singing because she cant perform.

im not a fan of hers, because im more for performance than talent. ill be open with that, i dont mind. her recent gimmick is this gaga/rihana hybrid. its tired, done, and old. her songs are highly autotuned and takes away from what did make her stand out, her raw talent. furhtermore, ive seen a lot of former fans of hers complain about her attitude. "who is gaga?" she asked, please...

• Members

You're right largely about the ticket prices (yeah for Kylie being the only one on there--multiple times with no N American dates lol). But e're gonna have to disagree. I was never a fan--not in Genie in a Bottle Days or whenever, but many of those songs were big pop culture moments--Beautiful, Dirrty, Genie in a Bottle even (Mandy nor Jessica NEVER had any songs that entered the pop culture zeeitgeist like those) etc, and she WAS popular, people did care what she did, despite what you say. :P She wasn't Britney but she was at least as big as a Pink, and she certainly got more attention that Mandy and (reality show aside) Jessica.

But I agree 100% with your last paragraph, and yes her pretending she doesn't even KNOW who Gaga is just reeks of... Well it reeks. So obviously making [!@#$%^&*] up is not gonna win you any fans.

• Members

Im not saying nobody ever cares. of course people did, but genie in a bottle hit, in large part, due to the times. Due to britney. due to TRL. and due to it being a great song and her signing it well. Dirrty did well because at the time it stood out from everything else on the radio.

What im saying is shes more of a person who has had past hits because of right place, right time, right people involved. What shes doing right now is so 2009, not 2011. That combined with the fact that she has no IT factor about her is leading to failure.

• Members

I still think you're underplaying it a bit--but yeah I can agree with that. Even Beautiful--that L Perry power ballad sound was huge right then.

I agree that her new stuff feels oddly dated, both in her "shock" outfits and looks, and in the sound--add to that that nothing, at least not the lead single, even really has much of a hook, you gotta wonder what her management and A&R are doing. That's why I expect the rumours of her wanting to do her own thing, and the label realizing it was not commercial and forcing on these quickly written pop tracks onto her, makes some sense.

:lol: I generally avoided Idol this year, like the plague, but I of course saw his overhyped acoustic take on Straight Up. How idiotic to attempt the same gimmick again so soon, and it looks like it backfired.

Archived