Degrassi: The Next Generation

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I'm almost done with episode 1, and I can already see it's gonna be a chore to get through at least the first part of this season. They need to dial the contrived "issue" stories down and stop hitting us over the head with the social media aspect. The scene of everyone following Lola and Shay's argument online while sitting in class with the teacher just throws his hands up and decides to make students' personal lives the center of the day's lesson (and ALL of the kids just going along with it) was just SO cringe-worthy and BAD. They could've gotten from Point A to Point B in a less ridiculous way.

I'm over EVERYTHING having to be so tied to social media. Yes, kids are obsessed with it, but they're definitely overexaggerating  it on the show to the point of them neglecting the actual human interaction that is unique to teens that still exists.

• Members

I know Lola's THOT ass ain't about to push up on Tristian. Oh hell naw! 

I do agree with @All My Shadows that they do not have to beat us over the head with social media. Yes, it does play a pivotal role in our lives now, but it's becoming too much. In some ways, it makes me realize that social media is a stain on life at times. It is excessive. 

Also, Lola needs to falls back. She knew Shay like Tiny when she sought after him. She can't get mad at Shay dating him when Shay act liked the bigger person and gave Lola the green light to date him. 

I was proud of Zoe for coming out; however, it is obvious she is gonna be paired with the girl from Syria. I hope they hit all the proper beats and not just slap them together. 

So no one died in the crash? How boring. They seriously could've killed Maya, and I would've been OK with it. But I guess with Degrassi have a high mortality rate, I can let this one finale stunt skate by...

I'm interested in what they are gonna do with Goldie and her brother, Baaz this season. 

• Members

I was disappointed with the fact that they picked up so long after the crash. First, I have to understand the wonky timeline this show has adopted. OK, so in American high schools, volleyball is a fall sport. The bus crash happened on the way to a big volleyball game, but now it seems as though the crash happened at the very end of the school year, thus Miles spending "all summer" holding vigil over Tristan. Did they REALLY have to open this season on a new school year?

Maybe I'm judging too much, idk. They can release 10 episodes in August to cover the fall semester and then 10 episodes in January to cover the spring semester and then actually have something that looks like a sensible timeline.

Second, picking up so long after the crash means we missed out on everyone's initial reactions! Major story fail!

I don't mind Maya. I find she grounds the show, and she actually gives me old school DTNG vibes. Maybe it's because my heart still belongs to Cam, I don't know.

Baaz is cute, but I'm over the video game kids. Vijay is awful. Yael is OK, but I think she'll be better if they break her away from the gamer gang. Really, it's just Vijay I strongly dislike. Any time they key up one of his "controversial" videos, I start cringing.

It's funny because I used to complain that the later seasons of DTNG focused too much on relationships and not enough on other things, but I feel as though DNC is trying too hard to tell these other stories but they're short-changing the relationships and friendships between the characters to the point of it all feeling so false. Too many characters are heavily involved in a club or sport, which obviously is something that we need in a high school-based show, but between the focus on social media and so many story points revolving around this club or that sport, we miss out on things like the kids working or just hanging out (though I see we get some workplace drama with Miles and Lola).

I think the characters still don't feel real to me, and that's a problem.

• Members

I think the 10 episode count alone is the reason why they rush everything when I feel they don't have too. I wouldn't've minded if episode 1 picked up from the crash and ended with a flash forward of Tristan still being in a coma. 

With Maya, she has always annoyed me. Whether it was with her and Cam, her and Zig, or her and Miles, she just annoys me with how she treats her partners. Maya just sucks the energy out of the room for me. 

Baaz reminds me of JT a bit--that cheesy, nerdy kid, who's hormones are going a 1000 miles per/hr. I do agree that Vijay is a pain in the ass. All his stories tends to be stupid. Yael being with Miles' creepy brother scares me. Once I sit back and watch all the other episodes, I wonder how they'll pan out. 

I do think that many of the characters don't feel real, but you do have a group that are well fleshed out (Frankie, Lola, Shay, Tiny, Zoe, Miles, Tristan).

• Members

OK. Got around to watching episode 3. I was NOT ready for Shay's premenstrual mishap. 

Please register in order to view this content

I'm glad she eventually handled it like a champ though. 

That Esme is a twat though. 

The montage of Goldie wanting to remove her hijab and then second guessing was so powerful. I glad that they are developing her. I enjoyed that cute scene between she and Baaz too where he tried to put thing in perspective for her when it came to Raisha. Their teacher though should've been fired for asking Goldie when she migrated to Canada as if Muslims aren't born in outside the Middle East.  I would've reported his funky ass. 

• Members

I'm liking Maya's lack of airtime so far, lol. Those pictures of her in the hospital bed were creepy as hell.

Hunter's hair is awful. The stuff with him and his friends measuring their penises was awkward.

I don't remember Esme and Zig becoming a couple at all, I was very confused when I saw them kissing in the opening credits. She exists for no reason other than to start sh!t.

I've never liked Mr. Perino.