Roseanne

Y&RWorldTurner

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I loved Roseanne up until she had plastic surgery in real life. At that point, the humanity was sucked out of the show seemingly overnight, and it became ultra-bitter, elitist, and mean. It turned into a giant Roseanne ego trip. The early seasons had a homey warmth to them, a goofy but realistic charm, and were played out very sympathetically. I loved it for that reason.

• Members

I think seasons 4, 5, and 6 were the show's creative zenith, ESPECIALLY season 5. Then again, most sitcoms only have a shelf life of about 5 or 6 seasons before they get stale.

But I thought the middle seasons were a perfect combination of the show in its beginning years with subtle hints of what it was in the latter years. Season 5, IMO, was just the creative peak.

Looking back, I can see why Roseanne didn't much care for season one and wanted more creative control (which she got). Season one is so vastly different from the other seasons in tone, barring season 9 of course. In that first season, the show was a little more traditional, though Roseanne's trademark spunk was still apparent.

Interestingly, I think the show was at its best without the Becky character. Those early seasons really focused a lot on Roseanne's clashes with Becky, but when Lecy Goroason went off to college, it forced the writers to give Sara Gilbert's Darlene a much bigger role on the show, which turned out for the best. Darlene was just the funniest of the bunch, and the one most like Roseanne.

I did NOT like Sarah Chalke's Becky, the character became an airhead and Chakle was a horrible actress back then, IMO. It seemed like she was just randomly walking into scenes and would yell all her lines and then leave.

• Members

I didn't mind The Lunch Box, Roseanne and Jackie had so many jobs in those first couple of seasons, it was hard to keep track of what they was doing. It was nice to see them in a stable place job-wise.

Though, I did like her and Bonnie at that mall cafe they worked at in season 4.

Archived