A Different World (TV Series)

Eric83

• Members

That was a hilarious episode. I think that's the same one where they're trying to figure out if their new co-worker is gay and Corky says they can find out by telling him that there's something on his shoe. If he lifts his foot in front of him, he's straight, if he goes like *this* (raises hands and kicks pointed toe behind him looking over shoulder), he's gay. :lol:

Edited by SFK

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Wow, Phylicia was really buff then! I love the disco atmosphere, I think that music still works so well today.

Did Debbie or Phyl have anything with the Josephine TV movie Lynn Whitfield was in? I watched that over and over when it first aired, her performance hooked me.

Thanks for the Showtime at Hillman clip. I wish they had stopped acting like Whitney couldn't sing, Jasmine Guy had a great voice.

I loved Kim, but her performance of my favorite Natalie Cole song would probably make me do the hand-waving get off the stage motion if I'd been there...

• Members

The moment she read that part in her obituary made my stomach sink to the floor, there were so many dramatic AIDS-related moments like that on TV when I was growing up. It's weird because at that point I think I only knew Tisha from Little Shop, not sure if she'd done School Daze yet.

• Members

I thought Jaleesa was annoying on gp, I guess what I'm really saying is that I find DWTN (Dawnn with two n's) Lewis annoying. I never really cared for her and two annoying points for me in particular are her awful stuffed up nose voice when Jaleesa has the flu in one ep, and her rendition of The National Anthem in the racial Roshomon ep.

• Members

I liked Jaleesa, but that relationship was very random and not ever developed. I do think they probably should have written her off, which is a shame, because I thought she added a lot to the show, she was a very strong presence. I think she was by far the best thing about the show's first season, along with the various house mothers, Stevie, and the woman Mary Alice played. (My favorite scene in that season was when she and Lisa Bonet and Marisa Tomei sang to Rockin Robin...that and the beautiful little moment between Rudy and Whitley when Whitley talks about the Snow Queen)

I think she was just supposed to be offcamera, still married to Col. Taylor and raising their son (?), in the last season.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

I don't think they had anything to do with the HBO Josephine Baker movie which my family also loved, but why can I totally imagine Phyl being a little perturbed that she wasn't cast? :P Okay, maybe not though because apparently she's not too keen on people bringing up that disco album. EricMontreal could chime in on that.

And LMAO :excl: @you doing the Appollo get off the stage hand wave! :lol: Those kids are so creepy the way they're looking at her.

Alisa Gyse (Kinu) played Deena, the Sheryl Lee Ralph (okay, and Beyonce :rolleyes: ) role in the big '87 revival of Dreamgirls. I'm sure that's what lead to her casting on ADW. Of course Loretta Devine was in the first season of ADW, and she was in the original Broadway production (Lorell).

• Members

As far as I'm concerned, this show should have ended in the 5th season finale, where Dwayne stormed Whitley's wedding and told her he loved her and they unexpectedly ended up marrying.

The last season was hard to watch. The characters seemed lost and the main group was being phased out for the new college kids.

• Members

Yeah, didn't she have the baby during a snow storm or something? A hurricane? Was it the episode where they had to plug the hole at The Pit with Whitley's coat? Terrence was so painfully geeky, oh my gahhd, that little rat tail on the back of his head.

Ah yes, Mary Alice, Nettie and her obligatory snood. I really liked Walter (Sinbad), I liked his own sitcom too as a matter of fact, and I'll try to forget that Ray-J was on it. I can't stand that guy.

• Members

I dunno, I think the show was always very good at taking characters down a notch when they got too extreme, like Carl's earlier example with Shazza. Even the racism ep I mentioned earlier tried to be fair and balanced, I mean, the black boys weren't racist like the white boys were which automatically gave them the leg up in the ep, but the show pointed out how Ron's ethnic jokes for example (white men being bad at sports) inflamed the situation. And having Ernie Sabella's character, the good ol' southern sheriff, married to a black woman only further drove home the point that young black males can't automatically assume that the white man is out to get them, that the actions of the authorities can in fact be motivated by the law and not personal prejudices.