OLTL: Jean Passanante joins writing team

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Industry insiders have talked themselves into believing that soaps are so special that not just anyone could write them (was it Frons who made that statement?)... Only someone who understands what soap writing is about can write for the genre. That notion just stuns me given the lack of success of so called experienced writers in keeping fans interested.

• Members

But isn't that true, though? I mean, one of the biggest complaints that most have against all of the current HWs is that they have no idea how to write good soap, so that should be one of the major qualities in a soap HW.

I think the issue is that the shows really don't want to give anyone new a chance to break into the industry, whether someone who is just starting out or even someone who has made a name for himself or herself somewhere else.

• Members

If One Life is on life support. Ron C. put it there. No one can blame the mess OLTL is currently but on him. People will blame Frank and Frons, but ultimately the way stories are told on this show is Ron's responsibility, at least on a daily basis. It's a plot driven mess, one absurd over the top moment after another. There's no emotional payoff, nothing that moves the audience or touches them. Ron and his breakdown team have a HUGE problem with the way they put episodes together. There are way too many choppy, pointless scenes. I don't believe for a minute they're bringing JP in to "kill the show." It's pretty much got a stake through its heart right now. Also, the production is sorely lacking. The show is lighted terribly, and the music is too loud and distracts from the scenes. I'm not cutting this show any more slack. It's time for them to put up or shut up.

• Administrator

The sad thing is none of what you described was the OLTL of Sept 07 - Mid February 08. That period was one of the best day-to-day, week-to-week, month-to-month soap writing I've ever seen. Each scene connected to something, each storyline connected to another, there would be Friday cliffhangers (that made sense and not out of shock) practicly every week, Llanview felt like a community, lots of character interaction, there would be payoffs, the vets were being shown, there was romance, episodes had themes (you rarely see this on soaps), and other soapy goodness. I do agree with you that right now, and has been for a long time now, that the show is very chopping and I hate how the scenes are written (the constant cutting back and forth, short scenes). You can tell the differences of Ron's golden era and his downfall era. Golden era Ron had the confidence and the ability to plan long term. Downfall era - no confidence, no long term planning, making things as he goes along, relying too much on camp value.

That period and May/June 08 is the reason why I can't dump on RC too much. The writing was such so good. Well, I have those 8.5 months to cherish. :(

And Jean P is not the solution. I wish daytime would stop rewarding failure. Jean has nothing to deserve ANOTHER SHOT at HW a show.

• Members

If ONE LIFE is at death's door, as many have speculated, it will be the third soap opera's death at the hands of Jean Passanante. She was co-HW on ANOTHER WORLD when P&G killed it. Same with ATWT. I guess ABC wants her to spread a little bit of her killer dust in Llanview.

• Members

Wow...Frons has a piss hardon for failed ATWT and, in general, CBS writers. I know little about Pissy before her time at ATWT but must say the woman is a work horse. Goutman stripped the writing staff bare bones to the point where no one was writing breakdowns in an effort to cut costs. With anyone working that hard, quality takes a dip. Plus, she had to deal with Goutman's 'vision' for the show. All and all, it was a total mess but ATWT managed to best OLTL in the ratings for most of her tenure.

Now I'm wondering if Frons plans to raid some ATWT actors in an effort to pull in viewers. The shows run up against each other in most markets, OLTL now has it's writer in addition to Simon's who was brought in earlier this year, so it seems only a matter of time before two or three actors migrate.

Frons is trying to turn OLTL into a ATWT/OLTL hybrid and pull the show up to a 2.0. I don't buy the idea tha he wants to kill his soaps because, when that happens, Frons will have no job. A large chunk of ABC daytime will end up in the hands of ABC NEWS. The network had good luck with The View and has so much content to air but has no 24 hour news network.

Frons will eventually kill all three soaps but the idiot keeps trying to save the shows in all the worst way.

• Members

I agree to a point with some of what you said about the writing- especially the episode structure.. But as far as the "production lacking", I completely disagree. The show is also lit wonderfully. AMC looks as cheap as ever, and GH is vastly improved. I still think OLTL is the best looking ABC soap by far- with no budget and less space. And one of the best looking shows on daytime. It DOES need bigger sets.

• Members

:rolleyes:

I understand you are an ATWT fan, but nobody is trying to get that show to live on with OLTL.

That will be a disaster, why would they want OLTL's final year(s) filled with characters from another cancelled soap, that has aboslutely NO connection to One Life to Live's history?

• Members

Part of me is excited to see what this woman may do. Is she truly ALL bad?

In my mind she is the new headwriter. There is no way I see Carlivati staying..

Does she have any good points?

God, look at that hack Higley. Her OLTL was unwatchable to me. But Days is considered some of the best soap opera on the air.

I know everyone says that Dena Higley doesn't headwrite Days- Tomlin does..but...

Has a hack ever made miracles happen on a different show?

• Members

[quote name='Llantano Incorporated' date='03 April 2010 - 01:33 PM' timestamp='1270316013' post='823117'

Has a hack ever made miracles happen on a different show?

Well, people used to endlessly go on about how Richard Culliton could not compare to the masterful Bob Guza when Culliton took over GH. Culliton went on to write some very good stuff at AW and AMC when those shows needed a lot of help.

Archived