Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sylph

Miami Medical

The ‘CSI’ Treatment for the E.R.

By Brian Stelter

SOMETHING terrible is about to happen to the two beautiful people who are cruising down a street in South Beach in the first moments of “Miami Medical.”

Maybe the convertible will be totaled by a tanker truck, or perhaps a bridge will collapse beneath them. But whatever transpires, we know that tragedy will befall them, because this is a Jerry Bruckheimer series.

Mr. Bruckheimer, the hugely successful film producer (“Pirates of the Caribbean” and “National Treasure,” to name two franchises), is also a prolific player in the television business. His name already adorns five CBS series, making him the biggest individual supplier to the network. On Friday he adds a sixth on CBS, “Miami Medical,” about trauma-center doctors.

“Miami Medical” has the same Bruckheimer signatures as “CSI” and its spinoffs: a cinematic style and a by-the-numbers formula. Episodes begin with a violent act, the characters grapple with the aftermath, and most if not all of the loose ends are wrapped up before the closing credits, leaving little to be explained in future episodes. The formula is easy to malign, but little on TV is more popular than the three “CSI” series, which all rank among the Top 20 shows on television each week. (Another Bruckheimer production, “Cold Case,” places 38th so far this television season.)

“Procedurals have done really well for us,” Mr. Bruckheimer said casually in an interview between casting sessions for the fourth “Pirates of the Caribbean” movie.

But “Miami Medical” does represent a new twist on the Bruckheimer formula. Its previous procedurals have focused on law enforcement; now, for the first time, his production company is entering the well-trod medical genre.

The rest is here.

Oh, how exciting. rolleyes.gif Another procedural.

I'll be checking it out, but I'm not expecting much--if anything.

<span style="font-size:10.5pt;">CBS aired repeats and "Miami Medical" (6 million, 1.0), which continued its decline, dropping 17% -- out of the running for a renewal (the episode's title, appropriately enough, was "All Fall Down").

http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/04/miami-medical-smallville-ratings.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+live_feed+%28The+Hollywood+Reporter+-+Live+Feed%29</span>

Good.

Baaaaad. :P

I knew it was going to be cancelled right away, shame it was so poorly developed and overly formulaic. <_<

Baaaaad. :P

I knew it was going to be cancelled right away, shame it was so poorly developed and overly formulaic. <_<

It is too bad. I like that actor who played Sir Thomas Moore on The Tudors, so I'm sorry this didn't work out for him.

Jeremy Northam, yeah...

Good medical dramas are something I miss. I would put a ban, a moratorium, on cop & lawyer shows, but a good doctors drama à la ER... If only.

No to Shonda Rhimes, I am over House, can't wait for it to go away, and not even Neal Baer (ex-ER, now SVU) could've put forward something compelling. I'm talking about his tentatively dubbed Life or Death show that was being developed for NBC. It probably ended in a trash can.

Good medical dramas are something I miss. I would put a ban, a moratorium, on cop & lawyer shows, but a good doctors drama à la ER... If only

I'm exhausted with all three, but if I could but a moratorium on one, it would be the lawyer shows for sure. I won't even give them a chance no matter who the cast is or how good people tell me the show is. I'm done with them.