The Lady Gaga Thread

• Members

Well the fact is, she's too old to do most of the ones that are out there (there surely are new underground trends she hasn't explored, but yeah, little would fit now). I dunno, I almost think she should start just making an album for herself--at this point in her career, when frankly she's not gaining a ton of new fans anyway with her new stuff, that would be the mostinteresting. But that would come hard fro Madonna I think--to do an album and not care about its chart success, etc...

(Kylie Minogue is ten years Madonna's junior--and a very different performer of course, I'm not comparing them even if the European media constantly does and has all through their careers--but she's been having some similar problems as she gets older, finding an image that still fits her campier, pop princess icon yet is a bit more mature and, frankly classier).

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I found The Power of Good-Bye to be cheap sleaze. :mellow: That greeny, fluorescenty cheap prevailing colour... The only thing I liked was the helicopter shot of those unforgiving shores.

I love it how people's tastes differ.

Frozen, Alvin, I liked because it was so... Ominous. The desert, the floating, the dog, the murder of crows... I just loved it. Am I saying it's the highest achievement of humanity in video direction? No.

• Members

As much as I loved that era, the Ray of Light era was the beginning of Madonna taking herself too seriously and losing her sense of humour a bit.

Though, as I mentioned before, she seems to be going though a rejuvenation process again and seems lively for the first time in ages again. Hopefully, it translates well into the music...

But comparing the interviews and self-promotion of Madonna and Gaga earlier on in their careers, and there's a striking difference and memorable way that Madonna presented herself, which Gaga just doesn't have and just can't communicate the image she wants to communicate.

• Members

Sleaze? It's one of the Madonna videos with the least skin ;) Yeah the shot of the shores andher walking is a literal reshoot of the beach scenes in Humoresque (I think there's a youtube that shows them back to back).

When Frozen came out a lot of people compared it to some similar Bjork videos of the time...

(Funny what you learn from threads--I never knew Y&RWorltTurner's name was Alvin :P )

• Members

I think I like Gaga, her image, her live performance and presence, much more than you, but I will agree there. Actually, I wish she'd just stop giving interviews I find them so embarassing to watch--that's where you do start to wonder if the emperor has no clothes, because what she says sounds so phony and rehearsed. I don't find that even with her most stupidor ridiculous outfits in her tour, etc--but when she speaks to an interviewer :wacko:

• Members

Like I said, I listen to a lot of stuff. I can't stand metal, often I can't stand banjo music. And some other stuff.

I listen to GaGa. However, I am not mesmerised and I am not going to thank her for "reintroducing disco to US music scene" or any such stuff. Those are just nice, cutesy, often obnoxious songs. I love to observe the whole phenomenon of trash and how people are smitten by her and her cheap awfulness. :)

• Members

Sleaze. It was like Goran Višnjić is this hunk, we're playin' a game of love here, the game is represented by chess... It all takes place in some god-forsaken villa in the UK on those desperate shores where the waves hit the rocks like nowhere on earth.

Sleaze is not just "skin", boobs, ass, French kissing and all. :P

• Members

Exactly. Now you're talking. Sheesh. We went from Enya (??!?!:huh:) to you getting the whole mature album. She is just OLD, like you point out, and it all turns out A FARCE. It will never happen though. :) We're not going to deceive ourselves.

• Members

At this point, I think Madonna just needs to concentrate in making good dance music, and sometimes with her a serious undertone.

She did start off in the New York club scene, her roots have always been in dance music, even as she's experimented a lot.

Because of her age primarily, her commercial heyday is over. Now she just needs to do the type of music her target audience and core audience expects from her.

I think Kylie too just needs to target the audience she has and stick with it.

Though, commercially, it did seem like Fever was a bit of a fluke for her. The albums and singles since haven't generated much success for her in the UK or Aus.